L.A. Ride Saturday, October 1?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by alcesito, Sep 26, 2005.

1. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for a 4-5 hour ride Saturday? :ear Nothing too vicious, preferably dirt road/double track/passable single track.

-cheers
  2. bigmizzle

bigmizzle Grease Pirate

Oddometer:
    GS-able?

might be interested. Any other 'TARDs interested?
  3. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Have read a few potential routes from other posters in West:

1)
    or 2) something like the Frazier Park/Mt.Pinos
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94324

jump down to message 6

or 3)
    I haven't ridden any of these, but they all would appear to be GS-able. Any of these sound good to me. If you've got any other suggestions, I'm game.
    My only limitation is I "need to" be back to Los Feliz by 3:00pm.
  4. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you plan on doing Frazier Park you might want to peruse this thread (linky) before you go. Lots of good folks chimed in with suggestions for places to ride in that area...as well as some warnings for places to avoid on a GS.

Alamo Mtn. was pretty cool, and definitely GS-able...we did lose an 1150GS Adventure there, but his rear suspension was shot. It's basically fire roads with some pretty nice views. You do have to pay $5/bike to access Alamo Mtn. since you pass through Hungry Valley OHV lands to get there.

Take pix!

P.S. My smugmug bandwidth got maxed out this month...I apologize in advance if some of the photos don't load.
  5. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    I've seen that thread.:eek1 It ended with a cracked jug and a bruised arse, IIRC.:lol3 Seriously, that seems like a good ride. Open to other options, too.
  6. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Yeah...after my last few rides you'll probably have an easier time getting people interested if I don't come along :D
  7. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i'm checking out the Sierra Extreme MisAdventure again. Perhaps it is best you're unavailable this weekend.:eek1
  8. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    No good for me ..... I'll be at the AMA Supermoto Races in Reno.
  9. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Cool, have a great time! Hope to meet up with the TARDs soon.

Leaning toward the Frazier Park route that Zenslug & Crew took recently.

Going to avoid my usual Saturday Angeles Crest/Forest and adjacent NF roads because there's a big HOG Poker Ride on Saturday.
  10. FRANKtheMACHINE

FRANKtheMACHINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have a good time - I'm heading back to NY for a few days on sat. or I would join you. BTW, heads up cuz there are wildfires around Simi Valley that might affect the roads. --- I decided to go south and east for my ride today and tomorrow.

Some dude's house got torched yesterday:

[​IMG]

All that remains of a home along Santa Susana Pass Road in Box Canyon.
    (Richard Hartog / LAT)
    September 28, 2005 ------------- from LA Times

Man, it is wierd out here... Back east we just have snow...
  11. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    FtM - Good point about the roads & fires. Will check on those today/tomorrow and adjusst accordingly.
    Have fun down in Anza-Borrega, take pix and post!
    -cheers
  12. Zen Slug

Oddometer:

Did you go?

:lurk
  13. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    I did go out, but for a variation on a common theme. Due to a combination of the fires and the closure of Aliso Canyon road.
    Took off before 7 with my new tires.
    [​IMG]

Slabbed up to Little Tujunga Canyon. New knobs were a change on the twisties from the old Trailwings. My questionable mechanical abilities were a part of my decision to stick to areas I "sort of" know. I'd taken the wheels off and put them back on myself on Thursday for the first time. No, I wussed out and didn't follow Neduro's tire-changing school.
    Turned off to Santa Clara Divide (3N17) and rode up to get a view of the smoke from the Burbank and Topanga fires. There was a brown layer looking all the way from Antelope Valley [​IMG]
    to Burbank/Sunland
    [​IMG]

My planned route was to go down Indian Canyon, east-ish along Soledad Canyon Road to Aliso, then pick up the 4N32 back up to Santa Clara Divide.

Indian Canyon was more fun with its 3 little water crossings. I'd started down it a couple weeks ago, but the chunky rock/gravel was a bit much for me at the time. I've since ridden out at Rowher, so I'm getting more comfortable with how the bike handles in various sand/gravel/dirt types.

Hit Soledad Canyon and headed east toward the Aliso, came across road building crews so I turned right (west) onto a gravel road which apparently heads up to a mine. Took that a mile or so, then turned left to follow some powerline roads. I had recalled being near powerlines the last time I came down 4N33, so was hoping to find the trail. But no luck.

Turned around, road west on Soledad Canyon to Sand Canyon (which is a nice 2-lane to ride pretty fast on), hooked back into Little Tujunga and came home. Was back by 11.

Ah, one last shot from up on Santa Clara Divide on the trip out.

Anyway, made it back without incident.

Hopefully we can get a few peeps together for a ride in the next couple weekends.
    -cheers
  14. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update...I take it you went alone? That area you rode in looks very cool...definitely want to get up there myself one of these days.

I'm talking to a buddy about doing some offroad practice next Sunday (Oct. 9th) in the morning. It'll mostly just be riding around cones in a dirt lot, but you are welcome to come if you're interested. My buddy recently did a Rawhyde offroad class and wants to practice some of the exercises they learned.

P.S. Anybody know of a good dirt lot near LA that is at lease 100 feet square? :ear
  15. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Nobody wanted to ride with me :cryso I went alone. It's so close to you, just go! Pop up LIttle Tujunga, cross the SC Divide and you're back on Angeles Forest. Nothing too crazy on the 3N17. I've been on most of the trails off it and rarely even dab. And I've only been riding since July:norton.

No ideas for 100 x 100 dirt patches. Glendale HS football field? :lol3 Practice sounds like a smart thing to do, but Sunday mornings are tough for me.
    -alcesito
  16. ojaichris

ojaichris Hungry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy fellas, anyone up for a meet my way? I was thinking along the lines of Mutah flats or the like. I'm looking for something mellow and fun this weekend, I've been tooling around on the pavement way too much. Nordhoff ridge is open as well, lots of things to see and do (and eat!) if you LA fellas are up for a bit of a ride. Any interest. :ear
  17. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm out for this weekend...I'll be installing new sprockets and chain on my beast. If you don't get any responses here, you might try starting your own thread with the words "calling all TARDS" in the title.

Mutah Flats is out by Thorn Meadows and Halfmoon campgrounds, right? That is a sweeeeeet area to ride! I love riding the whoops on that little loop road that takes you out to Yellowjacket OHV trail...but I haven't had the balls to actually drop into Yellowjacket on my 400lb gorilla yet :D
  18. Zen Slug

Oddometer:
    BTW, I found a couple great dirt lots off of Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. and I did run some cones with my buddy yesterday. We mostly just did figure eights and rode around the lot standing on our seats and shit. It was a good learning experience and I think we plan to make it a monthly or bi-monthly affair. Next time we plan to do something like Lynx Gulch afterwards.

If anybody wants to be in the loop for next time send a PM.
  19. alcesito

alcesito Nube

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, but I'm not sure of my weekend yet. Might be able to do a ride on Sunday, have to check schedule with the bride. Don't know either Mutah or Nordhoff, but maybe whichever is closer to LA :dunno Although Nordhoff Ridge sounds like a lot of planning http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/recreation/ohv/ord/

I'm a "maybe", but should have a better idea tomorrow (wednesday). You might want to float this idea over on the main West board, maybe you'd get a nibble.:thumb
    Cheers!
    -alcesito