L.A. Tues Oct 22nd 9:30PM Special Screening

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by DesertSurfer, Oct 20, 2019.

1. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    The Marina Del Rey Film Festival ( L.A/ Westside) actually accepted my “Advrider style” feature to screen this Tuesday October 22nd at 9:30pm for their competition. The location is Cinemark 18 & XD at 6081 Center Dr. LA, Ca. 90045 ( 405 fwy 1 exit south of 90 fwy at Howard Hughes Parkway).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This project started out very much like every Advrider’s lone mini video camera ride report with a selfie stick. To jumping the many hoops of securing proper film permits, insurances and legal clearances to where it entertains on the big screen today.

All proceeds for this screening goes to the film festival for organization of the event and the theater projection costs.

My personal gain for this screening is to learn the craft of entertaining an adventuring motorcycle enthusiast audience, hopefully garner festival recognition. And to draw attention to the entertainment industry to consider adventure travel riding as worthy content.

This is a new edit of this show and utilizes a high technology digital cinema encoding that looks and sounds great in the theater. An earlier cut of my show screened in May for another festival and out of 160 festival films we won for best documentary/ audience award. So it won’t disappoint.
  2. Pauladv

Pauladv ADVrider.com Content Guy

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! When and how can those of us not in LA watch it?
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  3. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Hey Pauladv, I’m working on a new streaming distribution deal. It was available on Amazon Prime and ITunes but my distributor went chapter 11 and disappeared on me with 2 months of proceeds. It took me 9 months securing my last deal so these things move slowly but I’m on it. I’ll try to get with Advrider to help me create a page with updates on its availability.
  4. Sfcootz

Sfcootz McRibbed for her pleasure Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your accomplishment!
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  5. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those who attended my screening at last night’s film festival competitions.

Um... humm... In reviewing the night I have to apologize the theater botched this screening by playing the wrong block of films and took 40 minutes to get it back on track ( seemingly out of context as this is a very reputable festival director and classy theater).

And then the projectionist failed to switch the audio board from 5.1/ 2.1 to stereo 2.0 and subsequently played my show mono from a single left side speaker (WTF).

The crowd was enthusiastic considering the unwarranted delay.

Yet it was frustrating for me to sit through a low flat audio track playing after many months of audio mixing, filtering and sweetening to give it a nice full and booming score.

Luckily the audience was sucked into the visuals and afterwards the comments were that it didn’t hold back the experience.

If any of those who attended want to give feedback feel free to chime in.

My only other complaint is this projector was pushing maximum brightness using a setting which was not optimal for outdoor imagery. On many of the films screened last night the blue sky’s were too washed in whiteness/ brightness... a pet peeve of photographers and cinematographers who spend great details on nice rich sky color. The projectionist just mailed this one in between naps.

Friday is the awards ceremony... which for up and comers seeking agents, studio deals and funding from these awards helps filmmakers gain attention. My show is a bit of a fish out of water here. It’s simply visual escapism for outdoor enthusiasts and adventure riders. I’m not seeking contacts or deals. Just having some fun making a video type adventure rider “ ride report” born from my many Advrider photo “ride reports”. And a bit of a tribute to all those incredible Adv ride reporters who inspire me with their work. So I’m satisfied just to get an opportunity to have mine screened for an audience.
  6. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    Oct. 25th was the awards ceremony for all the indie filmmakers. As I mentioned earlier I made my complaint to the the festival director about the issues with my screening being projected 30 plus minutes late. I figured I’d be eliminated from any awards for my sounding off. Near the end the awards my show was honored for Best Cinematography for a Documentary Feature. And the only cinematography honor of the festival. You can see the surprise in me...

[​IMG]

Receiving the award from the festival organizers which really goes to Stephen Gregory, my cinematography who couldn’t make it.[​IMG]

Enjoying the moment with company.

[​IMG]

Attending the Tuesday screening with Stephen Gregory, the real recipient of the award.

[​IMG]

When I think back to where this all got started... from creating and posting my photo based ride reports on Advrider. And being inspired by all the other GREAT reports from inmates. To making an Advrider styled feature pilot that’s being honored by indie film festivals. It all feels very surreal.

[​IMG]

Adventure riding and motorcycles are still considered environmentally unfriendly, a renegade activity and vastly unrepresented in the entertainment community. My hope is to carry a torch. And blaze a trail for others who want to do... and see more of these types of shows rather then the same old song and dance... and game shows.
    DSchmidt7of7 likes this.
  7. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on your award. I wish I could have been there Tuesday night to see the film. It was on the other side of L.A. from where I live and late at night, though.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Wish I were closer to your premier. Good luck with your endeavor.

EDIT~ Congrats on your award!
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Paul and congrats to your crew.

you're movie is creating awareness to non-adv riders and the public that our community love and respects the outdoors too.
    DesertSurfer likes this.
  10. DesertSurfer

Oddometer:
    In reference to above that my streaming distributor went belly up on me... here’s today’s article in the L.A. Times about it...

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...indie-filmmakers-streaming-distribber-trouble

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are just some of the pitfalls that go along with making broadcast approved indie adventure riding content. From the get go the odds stack up against you. And of course there are a lot of great stories behind the story.