"L" Build for fun

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wattner, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spoke to CW, the bike is back together and almost ready to meet up again!!!!

PLUS it looks like CW is puttin' love into the KTM 525 and will have that as well!!!!!

All hail the mighty C-Dub!!!!!

I offered to have the bikes shipped, but he wants to meet in case there are any adjustments needed.... I love this man!!! :clap:clap:clap

A few days in Key West then we are off to meet!!!!

Of course, ride report to follow.

p.s...... Ordered another rear (non-cush) rear wheel and will mount a MotoZ knobby for dirt duty... AND some of the new batch are D.O.T. I was going for a Terra-Fex, but they are out of stock until next month or so.... I want to stop and ride the Ocala National forest on the way home and see how she does in the deep sand...I bet she will leap right out of it! WooHooo!!!

Oil filler tube, check! :rofl
  2. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
  3. mondexbrute

mondexbrute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just read this entire thread (over the past 2 days) & WOW! I would love to have a CW built engine in my "L"

I bought a '98 XR 650L back in August of this year for $500 from a very good buddy of mine, who has since passed away RIP Lil Rich! The bike was beat up bad! It is now almost finished, for now. I built this bike before I became a member on here & just built it from what I thought would look cool & work good. I need some better mirrors bad, what kind of mirrors are on your bike & where can I purchase them? Pics below.

Once again CW did an amazing job on your bike Wattner!

Before pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must say I read this whole tread in one go, man I think it must be awesome to ride. Getting a few of these modifications done right away. Thanks for the info.

5. Cumbacheech

Cumbacheech XRated

Oddometer:
    Hi CW,

What's the possibility of you fabing up some CRF conversion triple clamps???

Cheers :freaky,

Cumbacheech
  6. tim007

tim007 Banned

Oddometer:
    WOW that is all i can say .. i want one:D

all i want is a motor ... ill do the bike :)
  7. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Great Job, I am sure your friend is proud of what you did with his bike. :nod
  8. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Man, cool bike ya got there!!!! You did a lot... I see the wheels, exhaust, seat, bars, CRF front end, etc... SWEET!!!!! AND a fellow Floridian to boot.... We need to ride man! Your friend's bike has a positive lease on a new life, sorry to hear of his demise, but glad you can let his bike ride on.

The mirrors I Like are from Neduro Fellow ADV'r currently the only American left standing in the Dakar race!!! Go NED go!!!!!!!!!

LINK: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707131

I am addicted to watching him... I run in the house after work and click right on the thread...

Anyway, his site: http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

GREAT mirrors and a fantastic guy!!!!
  9. Wattner

Oddometer:
    C-Dub to the red phone.... Any updates? What have you been up to with the girl???

How about some fresh pictures?

I saw the valve covers.... That DOES mean there are roller rockers in there??? hint hint :evil

What other fun have you had???

You have been quite for too long, you are up to something.....:evil ???:evil
  10. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    I have been hoping that someone would make some roller rockers for the XRL...still waiting...
  11. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    Hey Wattner How about some feedback from the Kenda Big Block Rear Tire.....:ear
  12. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Back from the sleepy threads...

CW got the 4" over throttle cables, got the final assembly complete, fired up the engine and let me hear it on the phone..... True bliss!!!!

He is out for a test ride now and some final jetting, then we will meet over the weekend.

We are planning Helen, Ga. Sunday sometime and ride a couple of days.

Ride reports nightly!!!!

Anyone that is interested in meeting up and riding, shoot me a pm and we can meet up!!!!!

WooHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  13. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

Should be good weather after saturday. I'm down in LaGrange. If I could take the week off, I'd join you. Post those pics!!!!!
  14. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Well, the meet finally happened and the bike is simply stunning and amazing.

The looks are over the top, every little detail has been attended to with purpose and care....

The motor is pure magic and lacks nowhere in the power band for ample roll on and torque. It is not snap your neck drag bike power, just lineal, strong and goes forever. Don't get me wrong, if you want to scream in the lower gears the reward IS unreal thumper power, I just like to grab another gear while it is in the sweet spot and move along in lieu of flipping off the back. Wheelies through third just need power and no clutch... It's that good!

The jetting was a little fat, and CW jumped right on it and raised the needle (dropped the clip...) and went from a 168 main to a 165, which added quite a bit of snap on the top, and he feels that maybe even a slight tweak leaner may be in order, we will see. For now, there is no bog, hesitation or popping at all, but who am I to argue?

CW changed the Showa forks over to a set of Ohlins with fresh seals and 5wt oil.... This was almost as radical as the change from conventional to the Showas. The front action was absolutely perfect, although very tall, so we lowered the forks in the clamps and got it closer to being dialed in. The shock needs a little run in time and then set the sag and we can call the suspension done...Truly sweet magic!

And about the seat... I forgot about it altogether, which is the highest compliment I can offer.... Mr. Renazco, you are the man!!!!

I took quite a bit of video, but it is so buzzy that you cannot see anything worthwhile. In the meantime, here are a few pics from the days ride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot thank CW enough for the incredible job he has done and am anxiously awaiting to see more of his work.... Once again CW, truly I thank you!!!!:clap:D:clap:clap
  15. Lane_N

Lane_N Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Awesome bike, what every XRL wants to be when it grows up! Thanks for sharing your bike/build with us.
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live nearby in Cumming and frequent the Helen area a good bit. I'll probably have to work this weekend but I would like to met up and check out the XR if I can. PM me your phone# or give me a call at 678-739-8059.

My XR is crapped up right now so I'll be on the DL650 if I can get up there.:cry
  17. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Now we must just convince Mr Honda to build the XR's like this??????:D
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    NICE!

Very appropriate front fender sticker:norton

BTW do you have any more of those:freaky
  19. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure glad you are happy with your Renazco seat. I am sure happy with your leftovers!
  20. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    For 6995.00 :D