"L" Build for fun

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Wattner, Feb 2, 2011.

1. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took quite a bit of video, but you can't see anything but a shaky image.... There were jumps, wheelies, water crossings, Bewbies(not really...:loll) and all kinds of fun... My camera was a flop, and I left the new GoPro at home with all of my other cameras by mistake. I tried the waterproof KODAK on a snaky mini try-pod zip tied to the bars, and no workie.

Next week I will take a few days long ride with the GoPro and get some action shots... This weekend I will detail the bike and get a bunch of shots of CW's handiwork.... The bike had road salt from the north and sat in the back of my truck in the rain over night and this morning. I want to get some pictures before I go get her all scratched up and looking ridden. (Ouch, it will happen despite my care and anal cleaning regimen...)

Ok..... OK!!!!! I played hookie a few days and have to catch up on some work...

Here are a couple pics of the bike in transport:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep coming back to look for a picture or 2, but noooooooo
  4. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Here is one of the wife on the bike.... Spring break is in full swing, and we decided to take a ride along the beach and have lunch.

[​IMG]

This is a shot of the gauges when we took off....80 degrees outside and the bike was running a cool 132
    [​IMG]

This is the temp the bike runs around while on the move at 35-45mph while 84 degrees outside. NICE!!!!

[​IMG]

Here is a shot stopped at a red light for quite awhile.... I did not see any temps above this. No worries here!!!!

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we will be cleaning out and organizing my garage and hooking up the air conditioning, Lights, etc.... I will then begin perusing through the CW craftwork and making a few tweaks. I HATE the clutch, neutral and kickstand safety switches, they must go away. Now. I will photograph all the small details that CW looked after, paint a bracket or 2 and get to know my girl intimately.

After some discussion with CW we will be ordering a 48mm Kei-Hin in lieu of the 41 to give the motor some more lungs on the top end.

Right now, the jetting is absolutely spot on, runs without a hiccup or backfire and has a hollow rumble in the muffler upon rapid roll off.... Sounds like a racing motor with flow-masters. The raspy badass rumble is too fucking cool for words... I'll get a video and post it up

Another thing that CW is moving towards is a loftier, lobier cam with more duration to bleed some of the after compression stroke gasses in an attempt to run pump gas. This will be achieved by removing the auto-decompressor on the cam which will allow more space (CW, take it from here and explain, please sir!) This is a possibility as he installed an XR600R head with a manual compression release, but will be a tricky affair to get the sik compression to flow with the starter, with a little practice it will be second nature. I like removing the extra weight of the Auto-Decompressor as well.

The blinkers, tail and break light set-up is over the top cool. I'll post up a video of that as well. Having all 4 turn signals as running lights, then blinking when the brake is actuated is too cool. In addition, the LED lights on the HDB hand guards look fantastic and they blink by the inside LED flashing and then the next and the next, repeat like a moving arrow is WAY cool at night and illuminates the bike like an X-mas tree.... AWESOME!

The Sanjoh ADVMonster lights are beyond amazing, and I purchased a set of the 60 watts that will be swapped out with the current 40's or what is on there now... The take-offs will go on the moped

I am so fucking over the top pleased and happy with this bike, words will never be able to state my joy. CW is a master of masters and I cannot recommend his services enough! Over the next few days I will be filming and recording, then be taking off for a few days ride, and of course reports will follow...
  5. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic stuff
  6. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey! I thought I get all of the take offs!:wink:
  7. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Safety switches removed!!!!! WoohOOOOOO!!!!!!

I traded the ADVMonster 44 watt LED auxiliary lights for 60 watt LED's... Wow, just wow. I think you could start a fire with these beams

I'll be swapping the Mefo for a fresh MotoZ Desert tire in the rear and heading to the scrub with Sanjoh in the am for a weekend of sand riding, report to follow...

If time allows there are a few photos to post as well...
  8. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

Heard that before, we'll see...:lol3
  9. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lets just say he fixed the damned jetting, and acknowledge his greatness!

If that doesn't help his hat guy out, I don't know what will.:rofl:rofl

The bike looks sweet as hell now that it's done, almost.:evil
  10. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I should have never swung a leg over it; now I need to build one.:tb

I just noticed, a great thread for my 3000th post.:evil
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    What an amazing motor.

Action shot
    [​IMG]

Money shot:D
    [​IMG]
  12. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watch out for them aligators down there.........choot em choot em........:lol3:lol3
  13. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    So fast, you can't even see him. :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  14. sc-razor

sc-razor Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very Nice!
  15. moto403

moto403 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great write-up it truly inspired me. I just picked up an 03 XRL a month ago and the engine should reach c-dub today. thinkin were gonna do the 724 big bore...WOOOHOOO!:happay
  16. Mopowa

Mopowa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Wattner,
    For you Voyager, do you have the temp sender on the oil line banjo bolt? The only sender I received was sized for the spark plug and of course my temp shows way more than yours. Hope you had a good ride....any video?
  17. Wattner

Oddometer:
    I finally got some good saddle time in on the bike!!!

WOW, what a hoot!

Sanjoh invited me up to his awesome new spot in central Florida, so it was a sand excursion.

After several jet changes in the carburetor, I had the girl dialed in up to 1/2 throttle, but was still a little fat on top. I did not have my extra jets with me, but I raised the clip on the needle, adjusted the fuel screw in and it did just fine all weekend in everything but wide open.... I have the jets at home and will get them swapped out and dial the carb a tad more and we should be spot on, until the new domed head, cam, intake and either 45 or 48 pumper is bolted up. CW and I will be meeting up fairly soon to get the burn bike and KTM back, and will make the swap of the engine goodies when we get together.

On to the ride!!!!! I am still having random issues with the battery.... I keep the SYCLE battery on the charger all of the time, but when I got to the house on Friday night, the damn thing was dead AGAIN!!!!!
    Saturday early I ran into town, found a Battery Plus and bought their high capacity sealed battery with a 2 year warranty. Problem solved, and the battery issue appears to be behind me. For now, with this kind of compression the Sycle battery will sit on the shelf and I'll stay with the sealed unit.

Once the battery was installed, the bike spun over like it was on steroids and it was time to take a ride. I have only ridden the bike a few times and only on fairly smooth terrain, so I was not sure how the suspension was set up. After a few test rides on some nice whooped out terrain, I made a few tweaks to the clickers and the suspension works flawlessly. I need to add a small amount of tension to the rear spring for the race sag and am awaiting the wrench form CW, but other than that, the forks soak up anything I threw at them and the shock had no pogo effect and just soaked everything up. WOW, I like it a lot!!!!

I absolutely love the Renazco seat, the bar and control layout is perfect, the clutch is nice and buttery smooth and ergos feel spot on. There was zero headshake or any funky feeling at a all, other than riding in deep sand on a big bike.... I cut my teeth in the woods on one of these, so it was exactly what I was expecting.

I had ordered a new Warp 9 rear wheel, but they sent one for an XRR, a call to them and a new set of wheel spacers and correct O.D. Brake Disc was on the way... CW had installed a new MotoZ Tractionator Desert tire with a heavy tube and MSR lite rim locks, so we had fresh rubber for the rear in a more aggressive pattern than the MEFO Explorer2, and the tire hooked up great in the sand.

The motor...Oh the motor, damn why didn't Honda build this grunt to begin with? The engine signs on way early and just rips through the throttle spraying roost to the moon. There is no real hit, just gobs and gobs of torque and power everywhere, and I can only imagine that once the carb is dialed in spot on that the power will be even more impressive. There is zero vibration all the way up to 85, it idles along in 5th gear at 70 effortlessly and has easy 1/2 to 2/3 of the throttle left... Once again, once the jetting is dialed, I will find a nice road to open her up on. The transmission is as smooth as anything I have ridden and mowing through the gears is effortless with no clanking, missed shifts or problem finding neutral.

I find the 15/45 gearing perfect for the wide open stuff, but may swap the rear on the dirt set-up to a 48 or the front to a 14t just to get the action down a little lower. If I was not riding in the sand, I feel this would suffice for all but the tightest of woods work...

The ADVMonster auxiliary lights are simply amazing, and I now wish I had gone with an HID headlight and used the auxiliary dimmer that makes the auxiliary lights brighter, and may still do the swap sometime. The relatively yellow Halogen just looks weak compare to the extremely white (natural light) of the ADVMonster 60 watt auxiliary lights. I can honestly say that these lights are a must for any night riding, and they glow during the day as well. Combined with the flashing turn signal lights on the hand guards and the stock blinkers becoming running lights, this is one well lit bike on the road.

Other than the jetting issue that I will sort next week, this is the most incredible machine I have ever ridden. It will crawl in first gear at idle speed, bust it to well over 100mph and go anywhere in between with no vibration and rewards the twist of the throttle with endless power.

While the bike is still a 300lb. beast, I feel confident riding it in the woods, sand, whoops and would not hesitate to take it to baja or a highway run across a state or two. There is not one thing that I feel I would change and this is a 100% success!!!!

I hope to get up to the mountains soon and will update once that happens.... Once the new head, cam and carb are installed, I will update that as well.

Thank you CW, you are a rockstar and THE King of the XRL!!!!!
  18. ssregal39

ssregal39 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sweet
  19. Larry Ferguson

Larry Ferguson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want one! Not to be crass, but if Honda did build one like this, how many children would I have to sell?
  20. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two.............:lol3