L0nerider in Northern Thailand and Northern Laos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by L0nerider, Jul 21, 2015.

1. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    E Yorkshireman...divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    This trip was carried out Dec 2014 to Jan 2015, I have been a lurker on this site for awhile, now I want to share my experience.
    When things change quickly in your life you have to adapt quickly. So much for the saying ‘always expect the unexpected’ Ummmmmm well never mind, just get on with life.
    As most of you are aware 'No Plan Survives First Contact’. So a complete change of plan for the time being, out the window goes the Euro Russia trip and the Sth America trip. I need a quick fix, so SE Asia here I come. I will be spending a week in BKK with my daughter then taking the train to CM to pick up my hire bike. Which they say I can take across the border, time will tell.
    The plan is to tour Northern Thailand then cross at some point in to Laos and tour Laos before going back to CM.

Sorting out the trip was not much of a problem.
    I booked the bike through Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant - Chiang Mai Bikers Hotel Thailand they are on email riders.corner.cnx@gmail.com. All detail on the site
    Flights were booked direct with Emirates
    My train from BKK to CM was booked through Royal Exclusive Travel - Thailand Travel, Hotel Bangkok, Cambodia Travel and have an email address if anyone wants it. I found them really helpfull and my ticket was waiting for me at my hotel in BKK today
    The only accommodation I have booked is my first week with my daughter in BKK, and I will be booking my first night in CM till I get myself sorted out.
    I have also registered on https://www.couchsurfing.org, so as well as staying in Hotels and hostel I may give it ago.

The bike I booked is a CRF250 L with a rack on the back. I intend on using straps/bungies to fasten my bergan to the back. I brought all my own riding gear with me as I know I can get on with it. I also brought my own tools as there are non provided. But only taking the basics.

For photographing and videoing the trip I will be using my Nokia Lumia and my donated Apple 4s ( so I can use locals sim cards as well as keep my UK one going) (thanks Malc). I have also got the GoPro Hero 4 which I have used before on many occasions (quality I find to be good) but now I have the Apple I can remote operate it also, tried it and it was good.

I have got the Thailand maps downloaded on my Nokia but can’t get any for Laos. I do have paper maps of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (in case I go) and I will be taking my Silva compass so there will be a bit of old school navigation.
    Also got myself a Garmin Montana, using it with Free worldwide Garmin maps from OpenStreetMap which I have found to be great detail, time will tell when I am on the road.

Before I started the trip I spent a week in Bangkok with my daughter, she flew out with me for a bit of a holiday. We had a great time, drank copious amount of alcohol and visited some great places

[​IMG]IMG_0047 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Wat Arun

[​IMG]IMG_0056 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0030 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Soi 4, Sukhumvit

[​IMG]IMG_0081 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Soi Cowboy

[​IMG]IMG_0098 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0097 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0099 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Chao Phraya River Boat ride

[​IMG]IMG_0105 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0106 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0110 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Thai Navel HQ and Wat Arun

[​IMG]IMG_0114 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0130 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0152 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0230 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Visit to the Grand Palace

[​IMG]IMG_0227 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0212 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0181 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0173 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0186 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0199 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once my daughter had flown back home I was on the over night train to Chiang Mai (CM) to get the CRF. At this stage I was getting excited. The journey to CM on the train was good but slow, the room on the train I booked was ok, the trains are old Japanese trains which the Thai's have put to good use. I had a single bunk which was fully air cond. The food in the restaurant car was tasty, no alcohol was sold due to Westerners getting drunk and causing trouble. So it has now been banned.
    If you need anymore info on trains in Thailand then I suggest The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...

[​IMG]IMG_0248 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0251 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0252 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0253 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I got to CM it was a quick taxi ride to Riders Corner, where I was stopping over night, my kit was put in the room and then it was off to get the bike. The bike was in good condition, only 500km on the clock so I was well chuffed, and hopefully with it being new my trip would be problem free?!
    I did ask then to change some of the plastics for scratched ones, just in case. Sorted out all the paperwork as I would be crossing the Border at some stage into Laos, then it was off back to Riders Corner to sort out my gear ready for earlyish start after breakfast in the morning.

[​IMG]IMG_0255 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Riders Corner, CM

[​IMG]IMG_0257 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    the CRF 250L

Some links and sites I used when planning the trip

Remote Asia Travel - Motorcycle Tours and Motorcycle Rentals in Asia
    Chiang Mai to Laos - Bus, Boat, or Flight?
    Train travel in Thailand | Train times & fares from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, Ko Samui, Phuket, Nong Kai etc.
    Laos Hotels – great deals from Asia Web Direct for hotels in Laos
    Health Information for Travelers to Thailand - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC
    Health Information for Travelers to Laos - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC
    Thailand international and domestic discount air tickets, Hotels and resorts, Package tours, Sightseeing, Transfers, Car rental, Travel insurance, Thailand travel news and events, Thailand travel guide, Thailand international and domestic air travel
    Online Train Ticket Reservation : Asia-discovery.com
    Best of Laos, Asia - TripAdvisor
    TourismThailand.org - The official travel information website for tourists visiting Thailand
    Welcome to*Luang Namtha, Laos-The Province of Lift & Nature
    Rider's Corner Bar & Restaurant - Chiang Mai Bikers Hotel Thailand
    Sukhothai in Northern Thailand | thailand travel
    Home Page
    Muang Xay travel guide - Wikitravel
    Welcome to Laos-Laos simply beautiful
    Home - Oudomxay Info

Hope these are of help to others planning to come over and ride this great area
    A lot of these links are pages I have saved but they will lead to home pages

Roll on tomorrow when the trip begins

Wayne
  2. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Day 1 Chiang Mai to Phrae

The first days riding was great. Although very different driving styles. Thai's drive on the same side of the road as the UK but can not drive (well quite a lot of them anyway lol), no looking, no signals, driving on which side of the road they want etc etc, it was an eye opener and I felt a bit vulnerable on the CRF, had about 6 near misses and its only day one, so concentration is a must.
    On the way to Phrae I stopped off at the Ghost Canyon, you couldn't ride the bike in to the canyon so had to leave it in the car park, my first long walk in the off road boots. The Canyon was good and worth a visit, very bizarre rock formations which looked they had been cut by water (but I could be wrong)
    Once I had left the Canyon it was in to Phrae and get a hotel for the night.
    In most of the towns I visited I had bit of a routine....Ride round the town for a look about, find a coffee shop/restaurant with wifi preferably, drink coffee, eat food and look on biking forums for biker friendly hotels in the area. If none were found it was back on the bike to ride round and find one.

Got to the hotel at about 1830hrs, showerd and out for some food, Hotel not too bad although it was 490 Bht which was more than I intended to pay. The hotel is the Namthong in the middle of Phrae, wouldn't say they were bike friendly as I had to leave it in the carpark with the rest of the cars, they did assure me that there is security on all night, we will see

[​IMG]IMG_0260 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Ready for the off

[​IMG]IMG_0261 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0264 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0266 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0270 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0272 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0285 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0286 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0283 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0281 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0277 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0274 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Check point on the entrance to a National Park
  3. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurker
  4. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Day 2, Phrae to Sukhothai

Got an early start today, up at 0600 and on the road for 0700 thanks to a bus load of Chinese tourists that were making a noise in the hotel I stayed in. As I was close to the dining area I could not help but hear them, never mind it gave me an excuse to get up and get going and what a beautiful morning it was too

[​IMG]IMG_0288 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was a good trip and very scenic, I didn’t have breakfast, thought I would get some miles under the belt before I stopped to eat. This become a bit of a routine for me as I much preferred stopping on route rather than sit in a hotel/guesthouse.
    Riding from one village to the next was good and all the smells of food which was cooking at that time in the morning was making me really peckish. So I decide to pull in, I was also thinking about fuel and lucky the place I decided to pull in to was also selling fuel, so what with the little bit of Thai I have managed to learn and a lot of pointing and gestures I got fuel for the bike and fuel for me….sorted.

[​IMG]IMG_0292 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Breakfast and fuel stop

[​IMG]IMG_0295 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0296 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Food.....just what I needed

[​IMG]IMG_0297 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Working the Paddy fields

[​IMG]IMG_0300 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0301 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I got to Sukhothai for about lunchtime and found a nice place to stop for the night after doing my ride round and stopping for a coffee. I stayed at the Garden house on coords N17.00484 E99.48989, I got a little bungalow for 300 Bht with fan only, could have had Air....but being a Yorkshire man :-)

[​IMG]IMG_0302 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0303 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0306 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I was sorted out and had had a brew it was time to go and visit why I had chosen to go to Sukhothai.....I wanted to visit the Sukhothai Historical Park…coords N17.01816° E99.70673°, it was a really nice place and in my mind well worth a visit. I rode round for a bit and found a ticket office, so I parked the bike up and went inside to ask where I could leave the bike while I went in, glad I did...It cost 100 Bht to get in and an extra 20 Bht if you want to ride round on your bike…so guess what?….The bike it was! Awesome, made life so much easier as it was quite a big place. You could also hire push bikes if you wanted to.

[​IMG]IMG_0312 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0313 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0316 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0317 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0320 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0321 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0323 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0326 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0331 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0345 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Spent some time talking to this old lady after I had bought some water from her, I had started to pick up a small amount of Thai but lots of gesticulating was involved.

[​IMG]IMG_0348 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

What a great time is this old place, once done it was time to head back in to town for some well earned food.
    Chicken Penang it was to be, one of my favourite dishes, and a few cold ones after a hot days riding.

[​IMG]IMG_0383 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne
  5. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    Great photos, ya just can't go past the land of smiles for a good time, beautiful people, delicious food. I think I'm gonna have to book. . .
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    :clap Nice photos and ride report. Brings back fond memories.
  7. undersea4x2

undersea4x2 Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer:
    Good stuff mate, good photos and great read. Got a map you can add for clarity?
    I ask because Thailand is on the bucket list for me. Been to Bangkok and Phuket and even looked into the train trip to Chang Mai but................
    still dreaming!
    Cheers
    Under:thumb
  8. Ryancr

Ryancr n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report & pics!:clap
  9. mcc66

mcc66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming. Great photos. Have ridden in Thailand many times, this brings back happy memories. Thanks for sharing.:lurker

mcc66
    Michael
  10. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the above comments guys, Yes it is a great place to ride, awesome in fact

Wayne
  11. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:

Under

Yes I did a route every day using my Montana and Basecamp. I was still learning how to use them both together, on the move so to speak so the early routes are not much good, I also took paper maps with me which I used in the early stages of my loose planning

[​IMG]WP_20141103_001 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Laos

[​IMG]WP_20141103_002 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Thailand

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 17.35.28 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Chiang Mai to Phrae

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2014-12-14 at 17.13.54 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Phrae to Sukhothai

Hope this helps, they do get better as I go along but I wasn't using the correct mapping in base camp before taking the screen shot

Wayne
  12. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Day 3 Sukhothai to Tha Song Yang

Yet another early start today, was on the road for about for about 0745, stopped off at a petrol station which had a 7/11 shop, got a 6 litre of water and filled up my CamelBak and binned the rest so I could fill it up with petrol. Only got a 7 litre tank and was crossing some big mountains today.
    So better to be safe than sorry, as it happens I didn’t need it. [​IMG]
    The route to start off with was pretty long and mundane [​IMG] although the scenery was fine the road was not, then I got on to the 1175, now that was fun [​IMG]

[​IMG]Day 3 Sukhothai to Tha Song Yang by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]Google Earth Elevation shot by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I had done about 80 to 90 k's my stomach was telling me it was time to get filled because as per usual I had just had a brew before I set off. I stopped in Tak to eat and found a good place just as I was coming in to town

[​IMG]IMG_0384 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0385 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

As I left Tak the road became more interesting to ride, which I was pleased with and I had plotted the route via Ban Mae La, not for any particular reason except it gave me better roads to ride over the mountains. It was just what was needed as up to now my journey had been relatively flat.

[​IMG]IMG_0393 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    I eventually went over those mountains in the distance.

[​IMG]IMG_0386 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

About 2 thirds in to the 1175 I was in need of a break so I just stopped off at the next little village I came across and went to the little shop, had a cold Nescafe out of a tin and a Red Bull type drink, what a pick me up

[​IMG]IMG_0415 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0417 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Also on the 1175 I could see a big white Buddha in the distance. I tried to find a route to it but all I could manage to find was the temple which was close to it. Time was getting on so I decided to move on. I then came across a woman taking her cows for a walk.

[​IMG]IMG_0404 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0398 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0392 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0396 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0410 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I even had a good few k's on an unpaved road which was really enjoyable, it was good to get up on the pegs and do some great riding

[​IMG]IMG_0424 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0427 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Eventually made I it to Ban Mae La and decide that I had been and seen and it was time to move on, nowt much happening. So I re-joined the 105 and headed for Tha Song Yang.

[​IMG]IMG_0429 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

It was only a small town but had a 7/11 and some local eateries. Stopped off in one of the eateries and in my best Thai, which is terrible, I asked for hotel. I was pointed in the direction of the place where I will lay my head for the night. The BP Resort, coords N17.24866° E98.21464°. Nice little bungalows, 400 Bht with aircon…because boy I needed it and the bike is parked right outside, sorted [​IMG]

Wayne
  13. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son

[​IMG]Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son1 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Had a really good days ride. The road from Tha Song Yang to Mae Hong Son is a very good. A mixture of Tarmac and unpaved road with lots of twists and climbs.

When I set off it was very misty and I was forever wiping my goggles to see where I was going. As fast as I wiped them they were covered in water again, not what you need on a twisty fast flowing road.

[​IMG]IMG_0450 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0449 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Because there was a lot of gearing up and down and climbing big hills I was using a lot of fuel, thankfully I came across a group of road workers and after a few minutes of me trying to gt them to understand me they finally clicked on and pointed back down the road....great that is all I needed, turning round and climbing back up the way I had just come down. Had to make a decision, so I turned round and went back, luckily it was only 2 k's to the fuel point, missed it the first time due to lorries being park in front of it. Bonus, happy again.

During the day I didn't stop to take many photos as I got a bit carried away with the road. I would have been great to ride it again but I wanted to progress further with my trip and explore new places rather than go back.

[​IMG]IMG_0456 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Breakfast spot

[​IMG]IMG_0457 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0452 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0453 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0454 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0455 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0459 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0463 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Once I got to Mae Hong Son, it was time to get a good coffee and find somewhere to sleep. I found the Friends House, coords..N19.30019° E97.96727°, talk about basic haha but at least its a bed, 300 Bht for the night, 6 quid so can’t grumble. [​IMG]

[​IMG]IMG_0465 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0466 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne
  14. undersea4x2

undersea4x2 Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer:

Hey Wayne that great.
    Thanks for the detail really helps to add depth on where you are.
    I've worked out that "Montana" is a Garmin GPS?? and the Basecamp is a mapping planning program. Is the basecamp done on computer then downloaded into the GPS?
    ie. the screen shots above?
    Very cool for the illiterate.
    Keep them coming
    Cheers
    Under:thumb (Mark)
  15. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Hi Under

Basecamp is a Garmin programme which you can download to your Laptop/Mac and do all your route planning on (providing you have the maps) then transfer it to your plugged in GPS. It also works in reverse, so you can plug in, say the Montana, and look at the tracks you have done that day,, these can also be viewed in Google Earth, which is what I was doing (well I was until Google Earth packed in during the trip) Basecamp is Apple and Windows based but Mapsource (another Garmin programme, does same job) is just Windows Based.

Wayne
  16. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai, staying local

I had decided to stay in Mae Hong Son one more night as I wanted to spend the day riding local and visit which I had done some research on. Ban Rak Thai is a tea producing village of Chinese Decendents on the Thai/Burma border. It was to be a great day with good roads, a bit of unpaved road, delicious tea's and great scenery

[​IMG]Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai and back by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]Day 5 Mae Hong Son to Ban Rak Thai by Wayne 66, on Flickr

I was hoping for a lay in but it wasn't to happen as the Cockerels were making a right racket at 0600hrs. So that was me wide awake, time for a coffee and some food before I set off on the days ride out

After the first 25k's or so the route started to go up and up and up, I think it was some where in the region of 1000m. Its not that high I know but some of the roads and turns were pretty steep and the little CRF was in first and second gear for most of it.

[​IMG]IMG_0469 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0471 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0472 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0475 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0478 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Coming down was good, the bends were a bit longer so I turned out to be a great sweeping bit of road.
    Once at the Village I had a ride round, it looked very nice, with a lake in the middle. But it was time to sample some tea

[​IMG]IMG_0480 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    Tea and roasted almonds, Ging Sing on the left and Morning Tea on the right.

As it was lunchtime I decided to have a bite to eat in the same place I was drinking the tea. I ordered Yunnan style fried pork on the bone done in Chinese herbs and honey, it tasted great

[​IMG]IMG_0481 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Fed and watered time to go for a walk/ride about, they had a little market area selling different varieties of Tea's, Herbs, and dried fruits.

[​IMG]IMG_0484 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0486 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0487 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0488 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0489 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0490 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

On the way out of the village I took a track on my left which led in to the Plantations, but after about a mile it came to a dead end and had to turn back, it as good whilst it lasted.
    Back on the road I stopped at the Pha Sua Waterfall, which I was disappointed in as it was dry. The Pang Tong Royal Project, although I didn't get any pictures as I was unsure if I should have been in there so I just kept riding and the Maehongsong Bamboo Complex, never knew there were that many different types.

[​IMG]IMG_0491 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0492 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0493 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0494 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0496 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0499 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0501 by Wayne 66, on Flickr
    The Waterfall........

[​IMG]IMG_0502 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

From there I came back into Mae Hong Son and visited Wat Phrathat Doi Kong Mu (Temple on the hill in Mae Hong Son). There was a great view from up there over looking Mae Hong Son and the Airport

[​IMG]IMG_0507 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0508 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0512 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0514 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

After a good day it was time for good food and drink and what better place than the Crossroads in the town.

[​IMG]IMG_0518 by Wayne 66, on Flickr

Wayne
  17. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    lonerider,could this ride be made on a road bike with DS tires?
  18. dubtruker

dubtruker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not?! The Thais do it!
  19. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    I would say yes, but you would have to chose your route more careful than I did, later on in my trip I ended up in the middle of nowhere and was glad I was on the type of bike I was on (even though it could have done with more power). But all the places I went to were accessible on decent roads, even some of the Unpaved roads are decent.
    I don't know what type of bike you are on but Nick Sanders rode round the world on an R1 so anything is possible.

Wayne
  20. L0nerider

L0nerider 2003 XT600E

Oddometer:
    Yeah I agree, they go anywhere and everywhere on those scooters and little motorbikes with just normal tyres on them, they seen to glide across the rough terrain.

Wayne