LA-B-to-V 2019 Thread - Registration is Open!

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Jul 12, 2019.

1. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Will using the App Lead Nav on a iPhone be an option for loading the days tracks?

I will have my nephew bring his usb cord of course.

Thanks Todd!
  2. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Planning to run a couple tests to make sure GPS load process will be able to address this and other apps for OS and Android. Hard to believe how phones and tablets are being used now.
    jnyrav and dino702 like this.
  3. bubbastew

bubbastew strip miner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok signed up and coming from northern Oregon. Have two ways to go. Can ride my 1290 to and from and do the ride on it .this plan allows me to ride home from Vegas.
    Other is to drive with the 690 ,leave my van in Palmdale and get a ride back from Vegas. Or I could slab back from Vegas on the 690. Really prefer to ride the DS and drive . How long would it take to get back to Palmdale on my DS . Driving my van allows me a place to rest along the way plus late November can be sketchy to ride south from Oregon.
    Is there place to park my van at the start where it won't get stolen or stripped.
    Have rooms for all nights of ride .
    Any help answering questions please let me know.
  4. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    @bubbastew , bound to get mixed opinions on the bike to ride but in general, a lighter dual sport bike is preferred over a big adventure bike. There will be plenty of guys riding ADV bikes, some at expert level! Big bike riders also have lots of options to bypass the more difficult sections ... there can be lots of deep sand on the course. There is some BIG pride factors in riding to the event, riding the event and riding home. I’ve done it twice on a GS Adventure however the ride experience is much different (better) on a dual sport bike.

There are also plenty of stories of guys riding back to Palmdale from Vegas. There is a great route of mixed blacktop and dirt bisecting part of Death Valley. Tracked a buddy several years ago from his SPOT and he got back before us in the truck ... I-15 traffic can be brutal.

Lastly, leaving your van in Palmdale; ride HQ is likely to be a good place to leave a vehicle parked but I’m waiting to gather more info. Post up here and on the D-37 LAB2V site with “looking for ride back to Palmdale” as others like you have a similar need. Some guys have pulled resources on one way rental vans/trucks.
    breakdirt916, HBSURFDAD and dino702 like this.
  5. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @bubbastew, Our plans at this time are for people leaving vehicles til Sunday or Monday to park them in the Embassy Suites parking lot. We are working on finding a way to cordon off all the spaces just for people that need to leave their vehicles there for the entire weekend.
  6. bubbastew

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Pretty set on driving down with the 690 ,may have another rider coming with.
    I will post to try and get a ride back from Vegas. Or ride back. Just hoping we don't have snow on the road all the way down given the early arrival of winter weather here in the nw .
  7. bubbastew

Oddometer:
    Ok most likely going to need a ride back to Palmdale as I'm not sure if I want to slab it back .
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Unless you are in a rush to get back, take the scenic route back through Death Valley. It's about 70% dirt roads/trails that goes through some truly beautiful terrain:
    • Old Spanish Trail
    • Emigrant Pass
    • Stop over in Shoshone
    • Jubilee Pass
    • Badwater
    • Warm Springs Canyon
    • Butte Valley
    • Mengel Pass
    • Coyote Canyon
    • Goler Wash
    • Trona
    • Pinnacles
    • Spangler Hills
    • Randsburg
    • Cal City
  9. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
  10. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm also coming down again (for my third time in a row) from the Portland Oregon area. Though you already made up your mind about taking your "smaller" 690, i just want to agree with your decision to do so. FYI, there is no "hard route"...the "hard route" IS the normal route. You do have an option to take the "chicken routes" though. A 1290 would be more that a handfull for all but the best riders out there on the normal route. I've helped a few different adventure bikes get unstuck out of the sand washes, only for them to get stuck again 50 feet later. At the same time, i've been passed by VERY good adventure bike riders (while me being on my little 525) in the sandwashes (it was quite humbling). 50mph would be a good speed to stay afloat in lots of those soft areas while on a big bike. When you're on a heavy bike, you'll probably be focused on your riding (and staying upright!)...when you're on a light bike, you can be focused on the dual sport ride itself, and have a more memorable time.

The past two years, i leave my house (in PDX) Tuesday about noonish (before the afternoon rush hour), and drive the back way though Southern oregon and eventually pop out on hyw-95 to Vegas. I usualy arrive Wednesday afternoon. I parked my tow rig at a friend's house, and spend the night at his pad. Then got a ride with him to Palmdale Thursday morning.

Since Palmdale is about 250 miles (and clsoe to 4 hours) away from Vegas, you're knobbies would get pretty worn down on the ride just to get to the starting line (if you rode in from Vegas).

Oh, and how bigtodd said that i-15 traffic "can'' be brutal?...it IS brutal! I tried leaving Sunday morning at 5:15am to head back to Palmdale, and was stuck in traffic for hours. If your're going pavement the way back, either wait until Monday to drive back, or leave directly after the banquet saturday night. I do like the idea of bigtodd's idea of taking the senic route back to Palmdale though Death Valley, but it would sure be a pain to carry your overnight bag with you for that many miles.
    Balancer, HBSURFDAD and dino702 like this.
  11. bubbastew

Oddometer:
    I may drive down thru Nevada just for the views then over to palmdale. Leave my van there for the ride. Hopefully get a ride back to Palmdale on Sunday or Monday , really no hurry then back to hood River .
    I may ride back to Palmdale from Vegas for the added adv . I can use my wolfman duffle as overnight bag and be able to carry all I need back to Palmdale.
    Anyone have beta on the return ride that I could do on ride back . I don't mind riding back alone asi do all the time anyway
  12. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!

We need volunteers at LA-B-to-V! Here are the different tasks that we need help with. Whether you're available all day or just for a couple of hours, all volunteers are appreciated!

We need help at the Embassy Suites working the parking lot all day Thanksgiving Day. If you are single, have no place to go on Thanksgiving Day, etc. please consider helping us! You will be surrounded by dual sporters and dual sport bikes and this will make you HAPPY! Also, a Thanksgiving dinner is offered for purchase in the evening inside Embassy Suites. You can join other dual sporters and bench talk while you enjoy scrumptious turkey and the fixin's!

Friday, we need volunteers to help with signups inside Embassy Suites. I'll again need people to help outside in the parking lot and driveways. When we're finished at Embassy Suites, we'll load up all the signup materials, cones and drive to Barstow.

Friday around noon in Barstow we'll need help unloading the riders' luggage from the trailer and the signup materials. We'll also need help inside the Ramada with signups all afternoon into the evening. I'll need help outside greeting the riders as they come into the Ramada parking area all afternoon into the evening.

Saturday in Las Vegas around 1 p.m. at The Orleans' parking lot we need help unloading the riders' luggage once again. Then we need assistance checking in riders as they arrive at The Orleans' and greeting them. As the afternoon progresses, Corinne will need help in the Mardi Gras Room with displaying the giveaway items and getting the banquet room ready for the riders. We'll continue to need help in the parking lot as riders show up until the evening.

Please send me an email at YellowjacketD37@yahoo.com if you are available in Palmdale, Barstow or Vegas, even for a few hours! We appreciate you and could not put on this event without your help. :-)
    dino702 likes this.
  13. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    I'm excited about these items you'll be receiving in your rider envelopes at signups in Palmdale. Swag 1.jpg Swag 2.jpg Swag 3.jpg
    We may add even more items!
  14. DirtDog43

DirtDog43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like the goodies :-)
  15. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    This year, the mileage between gas stops for the hard and easy ways on both days will not be farther than 90 miles. If you cannot go that far on your gas tank, be prepared to carry gas with you.
  16. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info Julie, I am really looking forward to this event!
  17. Yellowjacket

Oddometer:
    Here is the link to the 2019 LA-B-to-V Riders' Packet. PLEASE READ THIS!

This has most all the information you need for the ride. The mileages and some key course tips will be posted in a couple of weeks in the Riders' Instructions.

If you are thinking, "I've ridden this ride 10 times already, I don't need to read this," then you are wrong. We are starting from a new location this year, so tech check, parking, and signups are all in new locations and being handled differently. There's also a different motorcycle shop to go to at 6 a.m. in the morning in case you forgot anything (boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, balaclava, etc.).

If you have questions, just ask.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19jccEAg92tP88Pq0FJWJj4fRyokm9Npz/view?usp=sharing
    dino702 and HBSURFDAD like this.
  18. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    If you booked a room at the Ramada Barstow and are not going now, let me know. I need one.

thanks!
  19. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing some tune up rides out of Barstow Sunday if anyone wants to join
  20. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey John, I’m going out Thurs or Friday next week if interested