LA-B-to-V Thread - November 29-30, 2019

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Jul 12, 2019.

1. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    Tons of pics, vids, and updates in the Facebook group
  2. AloneInTheHills

AloneInTheHills Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out for a short ride in LV yesterday and saw about 20 dual sports coming down Rt160 in that time. My hands were cold, so hats off to all of you that rode in the weather the last few days. Especially the two I saw later, still riding in the dark.

It looks like a great event and I hope to ride it at one point!
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    What that FB group called so I can try to find it and upload my stuff.
    @Yellowjacket ??
  4. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    LA-Barstow-to-Vegas Facebook Group
    dad2bike likes this.
  5. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    my first time attending the biggest riding event here in North America. District 37 and the volunteers did an awesome job, specifically, Yellowjacket (in blue) deserves our gratitude.

PB290210.JPG

PB290244.JPG

PB290279.JPG

jnyrav
    PB290229.JPG

bhave and hbsurfdad in the middle
    PB290231.JPG
  6. NSFW

Oddometer:
    my favorite rider
    PB290257.JPG

PB290220.JPG

PB290278.JPG

PB290247.JPG
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    more pics and great to see lots of adventure bike riders
    PB290218.JPG

PB290224.JPG

PB290232.JPG

PB290252.JPG

camelbak himself as usual doing his own stunts
    PB290275.JPG

thank you for being the loyal sweep!
    PB290263.JPG
    llamacide, Bullseye, dino702 and 4 others like this.
  8. NSFW

Oddometer:
    after i left the Embassy Suite and heading towards Death Valley, i spotted a participant (Tom from Seattle) with a dead 1290 at a gas station. i was curious and stopped to see if there's something i could do. it didn't take long, Paul from D37 showed up to the rescue. we gave Lior and Bigtodd a call for help. it was an electrial gremlin, and eventurally we got the bike running, but it was already late for him to get on the track to Barstow. i told him to take the 14 north and i will be following him up to Mojave in case of another breakdown. never saw him again, and i hope he made it to Barstow and able to ride day 2. PB290294.JPG
    dino702, GalacticGS and dad2bike like this.
  9. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    in my opinion, the snow made this a truly unique and epic Day 1 for LAB2V...so I'm going to highlight those areas

be careful of black ice

[​IMG]

the initial transition into the trails contained many patches of snow, light mud, and puddles

[​IMG]

then eventually into a trail a little wider than a single track, with snow to you left and right

[​IMG]

muddy, snowy whoops!

[​IMG]

to connect some of the trails, we did end up on some dirt roads (be wary of 2 way traffic)

[​IMG]

muddy jumps

[​IMG]

heading into some snowy hills

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what's LAB2V without a couple rocky hills to climb?

[​IMG]

watching the transition from snow trail to open desert was a fun part for me

[​IMG]

some of it was just soft, traction filled, wide open fun dirt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

freemont ridges were not crowded towards the end of day 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then the rest was your usual desert trails out near the husky
    lvscrvs, outlaws, CA Stu and 10 others like this.
  10. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Awaiting approval.
    Thanks!
  11. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Joel can always count on you, great stuff & NO DUST!!
  12. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Lots of pics and vids on the #lab2v2019 Instagram
  13. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had a trio of AZ riders. This was our first LAB2LV and quite the adventure. We waited until 0930 to leave Palmdale to wait for it to warm a bit. The parking lot had transitioned from a sheet of ice to slush. We quickly caught the sweep and ended up making great time into Barstow. The morning muddy hills and snow fields were the highlight for me. We did all hard ways to LV but we were bummed Red Rock Canyon was closed due to heavy snow. The last 41 miles over the Mtn pass and into LV on the Freeway was brutal on the little bikes. ( I kept thinking of Dumb and Dumber.)The heated grips I installed Thursday AM were a lifesaver.

Anyone have info on the rider that hit the water pipe across the track at Kramer Junction? He thought his leg was broken and it did seem at an odd angle.
    cyberdos, AZ TOM and BIG-E like this.
  14. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Terry glad you guys are back safe.
    Slowred likes this.
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Got to Palmdale a little after 5:00 am, noticed lots of snow along the side of the 14 and not a single vehicle as I got closer to Palmdale Ave. Until I saw a small truck off the side of the road, then another small car spun around backwards. Exited the freeway right as the CHP closed it.

AM/PM parking lot at Palmdale Ave ... first sign of trouble
    [​IMG]

Got the GPS table set up with another AWESOME volunteer, Ralph. Walked outside and discovered a Winter Wonderland
    [​IMG]

Some guys were enjoying a snowball fight while waiting for it to warm up
    [​IMG]

I wasn't riding Friday, hustling over to Barstow to set up cones and another GPS table. Caught some of the early guys crossing at Hwy 58 heading towards Cal City ... they looked cold, wet and muddy.

Barstow bike coral with Boy Scout over watch.
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning was COLD, decided to wait for some sun and a little bit warmer temps. For the first time in a long time, there wasn't a huge line of bikes waiting to be released at 6:00 ... it was REALLY COLD

Saturday's ride into Vegas was going to be a re-do of my first LAB2V with my old BMW buddy Gerd. He was on the same GS he rode 8 years ago, but I brought a better weapon, the 950 Super Enduro. Still a big bike, right?

Never really warmed up but it was an amazingly clear, beautiful day
    [​IMG]

Gerd and I were making great time at a good pace until he got a flat 20 miles outside of Baker
    [​IMG]

After Sandy Valley, it was a quick run out to Hwy 160 and the turn for Vegas ... no Red Rock. Had to stop for the amazing scenery pic
    [​IMG]

In the parking lot, Gerd and I recreate our 2011 finish line pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of other ADV boys, Johnny Rav and HBSURFDAD
    [​IMG]

Party Time
    [​IMG]

Can't wait until next year
  16. slogger

slogger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I approve!!!!
  17. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    You guys Rock!!!!
    I sure there were a lot of guys who dropped out because of the weather.. congrats...and well done!!!!
    :beer
  18. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    LABALV-IV.jpg

The first 75 miles were the best :-)
    outlaws, apexfiend, BIG-E and 7 others like this.
  19. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    About a month ago TJ and I decided we would again do the District 37 LAB2V Dualsport ride.
    One of the things I wanted to get done while I can still ride off-road.

The last week before the event we start seeing weather predictions of Snow and rain.
    Last minute changes to our equipment list. Added mouse ears to each bike to keep hands warm. Also heavy gloves and riding gear was now on the list.
    We went to Palmdale a day early, Wednesday, to beat any snow storms. We were successful.
    This was our view on Thanksgiving morning.

[​IMG]

The view from the Embassy Suites Bar, The host hotel for the event..

[​IMG]

Here we are on Friday morning Day 1. We started about 9am. There was still plenty of ice on the roads.

[​IMG]

Selfie time in the snow and mud.

[​IMG]

Whew, we found some dry ground to rest for a few.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We go thataway!

[​IMG]

After this we came to SR58 and jumped the pavement to lunch stop in Kramer Junction.

We stopped at a rest stop to warm our hands some.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Animal got a little dirty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had lunch with Liz at the Burger King. We felt sorry for the poor lady assigned to sweep the place. With all the dried mud on riders gear, it was a constant mess.

Some of the most fun was the section from Kramer Junction to Barstow.

We came up to this guy who punched a hole in his Africa Twin going up a hill. TJ used some of the Putty stick I carry to fix up the guys bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went on up the next 2 hills and waited. and waited and waited. WTF? I was too far for him to contact me by intercom. After a bit more time The AT came over the hill. Then a little later TJ comes riding up. He can tell about that part.

After this it was getting late. We were on dirt roads into Barstow.
    As we got to Barstow TJ started to have popping a sputtering. We both figured plugged injector.
    At first we took it to the mechanic that sets up in the parking area.
    That was a waste. He did nothing but argue with us. So we took the injector out in front of the hotel and back flushed it with the fuel line. Took us about 30 minutes.
    It seems there is something deteriorating in the fuel system. On Day 2 TJ had the same issues just as we got to the Sandy Valley lunch stop. This time he knew just what to do and all was good to the finish.
    We left the bikes safely under the watchful eye of the Boy Scout Troop.

Day 2 Barstow
    We were some of the last bikes out. Behind the sweep. So we did some pavement and picked up the trail again just after Yermo.

The weather was beautiful and the desert was moist.

[​IMG]

A little rest on the Sand Road from Hell to Baker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not 5 miles from the pavement to Baker, Mary Ann gets a front flat. We pushed thru. Much easier to fix in a parking lot and the back of the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After losing more time to the flat repair we took pavement to Cima Rd and then dirt on into Sandy Valley. Just as we get there so does Dino702.

Here's me and Dino after lunch.
    [​IMG]

Rocky Gap was closed due to deep snow. We took dirt to Goodsprings then on to Jean and into town on the Freeway.

We made it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thank you to Liz for putting up with us for this weekend.

[​IMG]

Rather than use radios we used the Sena intercom. It worked well for the NV tour and did even better for this ride. They seemed to connect up to 1/4 mile.

This years LAB2V will be one for the record books. I'm sure glad we were able to do the ride.
    garfey, outlaws, bigtodd and 10 others like this.
  20. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah our friend Art broke the tib/fib just above the ankle. Wasn't there so can't say exactly what happened. He was with my cousin Justin, my nieces' fiance Aaron and our other friend Antonio. Antonio set the break and did a field splint best he could. I had taken a little..... detour at the time (those guys are a bit faster than I but not all who wander are lost!). Call came in and my niece and other cousin in the support trucks came and collected him. They coordinated with his girlfriend and got to the hospital. Hospital did a set of the break and basic x-ray. They got him and the basics packed in the car with his girlfriend and beat it back home to get a proper MRI of the injury. Bike and gear came back in our support trucks. I'll be checking in with him soon....
    dino702, Slowred and dad2bike like this.