LA-B-to-V Thread - November 29-30, 2019

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yellowjacket, Jul 12, 2019.

1. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I met her at the Bowling party, she is full of positive stoke! Great story, thanks for posting it.
  2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    A message from Kieth Huff, president of District 37 Dual Sport:

We're excited to try a couple of new things at the start this year. The host hotel, the Embassy Suites, is the start location. Paul Flanders has a couple ideas to streamline your signup routine. When you get to Barstow, put your bikes in the Boy Scout compound across from the Ramada, no matter where you stay.

Please come to the reception in Vegas at the Orleans Saturday night. I know you'll be tired, your rear is gonna be sore and all you'll be thinking about is the pretty showgirl you got your picture taken with at the finish! Don't worry, she'll be at the reception too!

Five hundred riders, 500 stories, just get there.
    jnyrav and HBSURFDAD like this.
  3. Slow poke Rodriguez

Slow poke Rodriguez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any information on the route this year? Or am I jumping the gun?
  4. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    The route is always a work in progress until it's approved by the BLM and Forest Service.
  5. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stacey is pretty kick ass, maybe one of these years I'll be able to keep up with her. Though if I'm being honest I'd be happy to just complete day two... I think I'm 0/3 at this point?
  6. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
  7. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I remember when Stacey was lurking around the D-37 forum and asking questions... now look at her.

Welcome to the addiction!
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably my favorite tow rig that I saw last year. Didn’t know who’s it was. I figured it was mom’s chase support vehicle for their younger kid. I liked the set up enough that I had to take a picture of it Monday morning. It has me inspired to find a late 80’s Dodge Grand Caravan (complete with the faux wood grain paneling) to turn into a motovan!
    970AAF20-AA89-456A-8294-776CECF1EACA.jpeg 5CB881EB-30B2-4A26-8373-1F0C5D79890B.jpeg
  9. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stacy is very fortunate to have a mom like that to chase her and support her in that van. Especially so her son can come with her on the trip.

I remember my dad chased me my first year. But he said after that, I was on my own!
  10. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three people have contacted me so far who want to volunteer for LA-B-to-V. One is new, one is returning for her second time, I believe, and one is returning for probably his fifth year.

Volunteering is fun and very rewarding. Plus, if you're thinking of riding LA-B-to-V in the future and want to get a feel for the event, volunteering is a good way to do that. You'll be right in the thick of things. You'll also get to speak to riders for a couple of minutes and see hundreds of bikes!

Contact me at yellowjacketD37@yahoo.com if you would like to volunteer on November 29 and/or 30 at Palmdale, Barstow or Las Vegas. We would really appreciate your help! :D

Julie Angell
  11. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Yes, Kathy will be returning for her second year of volunteering and she made so many great new acquaintances last year... she hopes to work with Rod again and everyone at the sign up tables made her feel like part of the gang!

“Desert racers are good people”

What movie is that quote from?
    breakdirt916 and Whodatschrome like this.
  12. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    On Any Sunday?
    dino702 likes this.
  13. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    Plans changed .....I will be elsewhere on Turkey weekend......I have reservations at HQ in barstow and Palmdale if someone needs them if it’s sold out... I’ll be cancelling soon i
  14. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Enjoy, TG is family weekend again in BASS lake!
  15. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll take the Ramada rooms. I'll be in touch with you tomorrow to switch them.
  16. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    It states on the website you must have a Roll Chart holder and a working odometer.. is this true? I know above it says there are GPS tracks. Please advise
  17. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BLM requires in their permit with District 37 Dual Sport that all participants use roll charts. Besides showing the route, the roll charts also show the 30 mph tortoise zones, important bailout information, notes on the difficulty of the hard vs easy routes and warn you of some dangerous areas like washouts. If you don't have an odometer, you're unable to use your roll chart.

You don't need a GPS for this ride; you can use the roll chart only. However, using both is the best way to navigate thus event. The GPS backs up the roll chart.

The best roll charts holder we've found for this event is the Countdown rollchart holder. It is the deepest one and easiest to load. It is only sold by Flanders' Company in Duarte, CA. They do not have it on their website. You must call them to order it.
    Davethestick likes this.
  18. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first year I had never used a rollchart and was "flying by GPS" only. I was advancing the chart (in the chart holder that yellowjacket actually help me put on the bike!) but more for support than for guidance. Ripping (ha ha) down a singletrack after lunch on day 2 I had to do my best Jimmy Lewis emergency panic stop as I came to an "unmarked washout", my front tire dropped over the lip and my bike was on its skidplate. I got myself all sorted out and advanced the rollchart to get started again and sure enough it had the washout listed!

I now personally enjoy the rollchart, I find the info very helpful while still using my Montana for the actual navigation. Also, I think the rollchart is a great souvenir.
  19. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Julie, does the crew at Palmdale have everything set up to get your gps tracks and the tech inspection done on Thurs (Thanksgiving) or is that stuff we need to do Fri am before we can leave?
    And is there another inspection Sat am in Barstow?
    Once again, thanks for all your help.
  20. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Long timer

Oddometer:
    We only have a skeleton crew of volunteers at the Embassy Suites Thursday night because everyone else is eating Thanksgiving dinner with their families at their homes.

So everything pertaining to the ride will happen early Friday morning at Embassy Suites.

There will not be a tech inspection in Barstow unless you are only riding Saturday.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.