1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

LA-Barstow-Vegas 2009

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by RAZR, Aug 28, 2009.

1. motocrazy

motocrazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got home at 10am then slept 'til 2pm. Tired and beat up now. Will post in the ride report thread later.
  2. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left vegas at a bit after 6am this morning. I got home at 11am in San Diego. I wanted to get out of Vegas to beat the traffic, which I did. I will jump over to the other trip report thread. Overall I feel beat despite going to bed at 8:30pm the night of the banquet! Below is the picture of vegas early.

[​IMG]
  3. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I saw you out on the trail, broken down. Even though we talked about your bike I did not realize who you were on line. I was on the black 990 with no tow strap. I was also struggling but not with mechanical troubles. My troubles were all in the skills dept...

[​IMG]

4. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint.

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. tudorSD

tudorSD Big Bike Basher

Oddometer:
    sbbillder and dirtdiver,
    I was very impressed with both of you taking on the ride with the beasts. I was one of the Xchallenge's with the HP2. Everytime I saw either of you out there on the trail I got tired just thinking about it. It was nice to meet both of you.
  6. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    glad you got home ok Scorpion. I came upon you right when you stopped. Fried Clutches SUCK !!

Every muscle in my body hurts today from riding my 990..
  7. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aside from Grumpy taking photos, who was the other company out taking photos on the route?
  8. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW. What a trip it was. Rich and I started late on Saturday. We missed a left turn after the first long sandy creek. We had to took the 247 back to where the ride started. After that we slabbed on the 40 till we caught up to guys on the trails. After that let the sand wash for mile start. It lasted all the way to Afton canyon. We got caught in some rain and hale. This was so much help to clear my head. I can't wait till next year. Ben
  9. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    I didn't ride this event, but I happened to be 4 x4 ing in the mountains directly east of Baker on Saturday.
    From just south of Tecopa to the power line road along side the 15, bikes were everywhere. How possibly could a clean up crew find stragglers when so many different routs were taken? My observations were: mostly KTM's and XR/XRL's. I saw 3 990's and one was being tweeked off the side of the road. My buddy noted a few GS's in the deep sand having problems. Everyone I spoke to said it was a nightmare of long sand washes and they were beat to the bone tired by the time they reached Baker.

So, after all that abuse, the people riding between 12 noon and 3 PM from Baker to Vegas got into this......Sheets of rain...A brutal ride to say the least, and my hats off to the 990's and GS's cause it looked to be an ass kicker.[​IMG]
  10. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suzuki Phil and Rhinoeater successfully made completed the ride (day #2). Unfortunately we had to slab it to Vegas instead of Red Rock Canyon. Daylight was fading fast and we had a flat to contend with.

Here's some pictures, no action shots or scenery I was too busy handling the bike. Whoever imagined that 270 miles of sand could be so fun!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SP
  11. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    I think I passed you on the 15 today... Pickup with your Suzuki on a trailer hitch mounted rail?

That was me lane splitting on the KLR :ricky

Thanks
    CA Stu

PS Red Rock really is the best part of the ride, you absolutely have to make every effort to ride it, even if it means a freeway hop early in the day. :deal
  12. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is axactly how I saw it too. You said it better.

From just south of Tecopa to the power line road along side the 15, bikes were everywhere. How possibly could a clean up crew find stragglers when so many different routs were taken? My observations were: mostly KTM's and XR/XRL's. I saw 3 990's and one was being tweeked off the side of the road. My buddy noted a few GS's in the deep sand having problems. Everyone I spoke to said it was a nightmare of long sand washes and they were beat to the bone tired by the time they reached Baker.

So, after all that abuse, the people riding between 12 noon and 3 PM from Baker to Vegas got into this......Sheets of rain...A brutal ride to say the least, and my hats off to the 990's and GS's cause it looked to be an ass kicker.[​IMG][/quote]
  13. Suzuki Phil

Suzuki Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We hit that sleet after the check-in at Baker. Wasn't too bad except the sleet kept hitting my face. Did keep the dust down though on powerline road. Sand sucked but after a few hours I finally got the rhythm. Next year I'm running a paddle tire in back. My DR350SE gave me no trouble except for a broken chain guide, must have hit a rock

SP
  14. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure where to post this, but I will be stuck in Vegas during a business trip on Friday, January 15th. Rather than going into the strip and losing what little money I have, I would like to find someone who lives in the area that has a spare bike and would be interested in a day of riding in the hills and desert.

Yes, I am asking a lot, but I would gladly pay for gas and eats during the day, and I will be able to bring all my own gear. I will be staying in Henderson. If you can help, or at least can guide me in the right direction of someone who would like to help out a guy from snowy Wisconsin for a day, please PM me.

I did a ride there last year and thoroughly enjoyed the rugged change in terrain from what we have here.

Thanks!
    Eric
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

start a new thread in the WEST section.

this thread was about the ride that just happened and most riders on this thread are from So Cal.

have fun, there are some amazing riding around Vegas.:slurp
  16. RAZR

Oddometer:
  17. rocking rod moto

rocking rod moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. motocrazy

motocrazy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. BootDragger

BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

Oddometer:
  20. RAZR

Oddometer: