LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007, 2-KTMLC8ADV's & 1-BMW1150GS Nov 23-25 DUST Magazine

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GCRad1, Nov 30, 2007.

1. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LA-Barstow-Vegas Dist37-AMA 2007, 2-KTMLC8ADV's & 1-BMW1150GS
    Nov 23, 2007

DUST Magazine Report: A Great Adventure and a little personal tragedy.

Bike is READY!!!
    [​IMG]
    Check, checked and tripple Checked!!!! Lot's of buildup!http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247585

I'm READY!!!
    [​IMG]
    Been planning this trip with my buddies from DUST Magazine for some time now and really looking forward to this multi-day annual event - Nov 23-24: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4978

DAY OF... PALMDALE, CA
    [​IMG]
    I ride 115-miles to AV KTM in Palmdale, Ca.
    Yes, It was very cold - something like 27-degree's!
    [​IMG]

O' Let me back up a couple of days!!!
    Day before Thanksgiving, I need a new tire!!! I could only find a Pirelli MT18... Had the MT21 previously... would have been happy with that, but my local shop only had a Pirelli MT18. Says it's max loaded at 700+lbs...
    but 115-miles of tarmac transit did this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's talk a route:
    [​IMG]
    Dust Magazine boys get the route plan.

[​IMG] I get my Garmin 60CSx GPS downloaded with the coordinates!

[​IMG]
    Got my smaller DualSport roll chart loaded!

[​IMG]
    Paul shows up with my dream nav-system!!!

[​IMG]
    These guys are ready for a quick pose and then they are OFF and out the gate!!!

[​IMG]

They said they only had about two big 950ADV's last year and we were happy to see the amount of big dawgs up for the event this year!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We let the mass crowd rip off, and we keep an eye on the sweep team and ready our bikes:
    [​IMG]

So we are off!!!
    [​IMG]
    Chad, editor/publisher of Dust Magazine rocking his brand new 990ADV!!!

[​IMG]
    Mark of Benson Printing and Chad's father! What a father and son team!!!

[​IMG]
    We came from one direction, these guys are coming from another direction...

[​IMG]
    Everyone is going in this direction...

[​IMG]
    And going off in this wishy'washy sand sloppy direction.

[​IMG]
    Mark-Dust Mag keeping the big dawg GS wipped into a staight line!!!

[​IMG]
    Chad-Dust Mag also working the orange wip!

In no time, we where at Jaw Bone Canyon getting gas:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we are at Johannesburg, Ca. We can't tell if all these guys are apart of the event or not, but there are bikes going and coming from every direction.
    [​IMG]

So we are off again and awesome views!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"See that guy right there"... Chad points over to the BMW-cladded guy..
    [​IMG]
    "That's my father!"

[​IMG]
    For me, it's the coolest thing ever to see father and son riding together!

I keep telling my son to get his motorcycle license!!! He can ride my XR400.

[​IMG] My big dawg KTM 950ADV - love my bike!!!

[​IMG]
    This little ribbon got passed by so many bikes! Had it not been for my GPS telling me that this was a "cut-back left point" I would not be sitting here taking pictures of my bike and letting a half-dozen guys know this was the turn-off.

Quick Tire Report:
    [​IMG]
    Not 200-miles on the MT18. Please make sure you don't make the mistake I have made in putting this tire on your big dual sport bike. Might work on a 650'ish bike, but I would not reccomend running it on tarmac.

We make it to Barstow:
    [​IMG]

Bikes hangging out at headquarters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NY!!!! WOW!!! I'm impressed!!!

Our chase vehicle:
    [​IMG]

OK, end of Day-1: GCRad1 - Over and out!!!
    [​IMG]

Next: Barstow to Vegas...
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap Awesome start!!

Gotta love father and son riding buddies!! :thumb

thanks for part 1... keep it comin' :tb

:lurk :lurk
  3. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Relocated

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the ride report. You guys handled the adv bikes like pro's and were alot of fun to have on the trail. Hope you will come back next year for the 25th anniversary of LA-Barstow to Vegas Dual Sport Ride.
    Russ

Details for the 2008 rides will be posted here
    http://www.district37ama.org/dualsport/ridingevents.php
  4. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    :lurk :clap:freaky
  5. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are nuts:freaky:clap Did you do any of the hard sections? I did the first day on a XR250 and then due to mechanicals, a DRZ400S sunday. You couldnt pay me to ride my GS1150, it was way too soft out there. Here's to those that did:freaky
  6. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks G-Force. No, no hard ways for us! I have a XR400 for that stuff and i like or would liked to have kept my 950ADV all nice... more on that at the end.

Sand washes!!! I learned alot about riding the big 950ADV. First off, sorry to the couple of guys I passed while in the sand washes.... but I learned something. Third gear on the 950ADV and sand is somewhat managable. The sucker just does not work well at low speeds at 447lbs. Took me a while to figure this out but lucky we did by day two, espcially the wash after lunch at the school. That wash had me saying all kinds of words and just trying to stand up and stay on the trottle!!! All those s-turns in the sand was just silly and I knew one wrong move and I would be out in the bushes, but staying on the trottle was the only way!!! I would never want to experience the total ADV-fully loaded saddle bags and all type if trekking through this stuff!!!

Thanks for your encouragement!!!
  7. Popey

Popey Nutter

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :lurk
  8. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We wake, we prepare, eat breakfast and all that good stuff. It's not as cold as it was the morning before in Palmdale!

We get ready to head over to headquarters:
    [​IMG]

Stop for some gas and I notice the blue neon lights from the edge of the Chevron awning lighting up my dash/bars. It looked nice in person, but don't think I totally captured it with the photo, either way, my desk space / office for a couple of days!!
    [​IMG]

We roll up to headquarters and I spy this dude...\[​IMG]

Anyone know who was doing the video-camera filming at the event? Either way, they too spied the bike.
    [​IMG]
    Can't remember the guys name, but he lives in AZ looking to move to So-Cal. Looking to get paid to do this type of restoration type of work.
    [​IMG]
    I like these little details.

[​IMG]
    WOW!! Massive - I would break everything on something like that!

[​IMG]
    Come on dude, put those seeing eye-dawgs on and lets go before these big fat 950's come through making those big sand waves!!!

[​IMG]
    The guy in the shorts was talking about his ADV-Uni-Cycle was in the shop getting fitted with saddle bags and we better be happy he did not have his motorized AWD skateboard finished. Sorry dude, I know you are on the team... KTM, just look at those orange flip flops... hehehehe

[​IMG]
    "Look bro - I'm not going to lie to you, I have a kiddy pool with some hotties out at mile marker 267. Course goes left, just turn right and go down about a half mile, I'll be dipping on the left. BBQ and the whole 9!

Another NineFiddyFAN!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yea, he rides it!!!
    [​IMG]

950RRRRRR
    [​IMG]
    Had a quick conversation with him about this bike and he also has a 950ADV - he stated that while the RR is lighter, the ADV has a lower center of gravity... interesting note.

Fist time....
    [​IMG]
    laying eyeballs on one.

Now this guys is out to take the beating!
    [​IMG]
    NO KNOBBIES!!!!

Then.... the light just hit it in such a way I had to:::
    [​IMG]

Cool to see BMW's out doing it!!!
    [​IMG]
    He's probally got a half dozen of these events under his belt, who am I? This is my first Dist37 event!!!

[​IMG]
    More starts.

[​IMG]
    A'nutter BMW'er!

This cat right here:
    [​IMG]
    Road down from Santa Cruz to do this ride!!!

OK, my bike is sitting right next to him so - time to ride!!! More coming soon. My back is hurting...
  9. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, it's Saturday morning and we are off from Barstow heading off into desert with a small tarmac transit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The turn-off from tarmac to dirt!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OK, our turn to get on the dust train as it is obviously not going to clear.
    [​IMG]

It was dusty dusty dusty as both the hard-way and soft-way crew where on the same course. Coming out of the campground roller-chut's area. That was a fun section and we started to run out of the hills:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Stop action sequence of Mark coming out of the hills. Then here comes Chad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would try to shoot some of the event participants whenever I stopped:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This area out of the hills seemed to be a natural meeting spot - FREE OF DUST!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mark helping out his new BMW buddies.

The way the sun was hitting my lens
    [​IMG]
    gave the image this blue cast.

[​IMG]

From here we rolled down these big roller hills and missed the left turn but we came out by the freeway at Minneola Road and I knew where we were as this was the same way earlier in the year we ran our 5th scale R/C Baja 5B through the desert, from Barstow to Stateline. I do have to remember to visit the Calico Early Man Archaeological Site as I keep forgetting it is there. O'well, next time! Now onto what I call the secondary freeway of dirt as this road parallels the freeway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Self portrait: GCRad1
    [​IMG]

Case study in texture:
    [​IMG]
    So-Cal desert Dirt: Grade A
    Troy Lee Pants: Grade A - love'em
    SCOTT Genisis Boots: Grade A. Upgraded from a C+ as the right boot was not comfortable the day before, but I remove the little donut and gave my foot some comfort and space. Yea, I should have road them before this event, but I knew they where close to getting "right" so I rode'em first time out on a multi-day event. Also, I will later appriciate them as they hindged ankles SAVED ME!!!
  10. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic action shots!!! :clap

:lurk :lurk
  11. silver04rs

silver04rs Stupid N0OB!!111

Oddometer:
    Write ups looking great Rodney... I cant wait to read the rest of it.

Travis
  12. ridingisliving

ridingisliving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right On GCRad1!!
    That's us on the 950's(Super Enduro and 2 black Adv's)
    I remember talking to you as we were about to leave Barstow.

The next time I think I saw you we were just leaving Sandy Valley(lunch) and you were just pulling in....how much fun was that last section??

We're definitely gonna go and retrace some of the course in the near future(Lancaster and the portion from Baker come to mind)
    Let me know if you're interested in coming.

BTW, I counted a half dozen or more big bikes last year, I did it on my 950 Adv.
  13. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    Great shot of Zig650 and his son Jason. They have been doing this run since Jason was a little one riding two up on Karls XR600. They are the sweep riders.

[​IMG]
  14. DarinB

DarinB Fish Hunter Esq.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride with us. Great shots! I'm going to do that ride one of these years.....
  15. gianlukx

gianlukx Minimum Speed Always

Oddometer:
    Very nice pics....fantastic desert place:clap

thanks
  16. RV8Pilot

RV8Pilot Blue,Green,Blue,Gree..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing back the memories of the LA-B-V I did in 1998 on my 620EXC with some So-Cal friends. Lots of fun then and I hope to come back and do the 25th anniversary next year.

JV
  17. Ishamael

Ishamael Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write-up!

Now I am bummed that I missed a great ride.
  18. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only stopped once more for the long straight as it's just so fun and at the same time, not a whole lot to take pictures of, but I did stop for this big roller section to shoot Chad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we start rolling up into the hill section and we ran up on this guy doing the full tube-swap service:
    [​IMG]

I actually took Chad's camera and ran down the hill and shot some nice sand wash images and I will see if I can get those to post. I remembered passing the Triump guy in another section and wanted to get him in action in the wash but while there a few more guys came through so I shot them too.

For sure they will be coming out in an upcoming issue of Dust Magazine!!!

more to come...
  19. BigTool

BigTool Mill Creek Marauder

Oddometer:
    Great pics!! Any chance you could post up gps tracks?? I'd love to do this ride next summer.
  20. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now you are asking for big ticket items!!!! HEHEHEHE - I have NO IDEA how to do this yet!!! I want to, I just have not taken the time to do so. I have tried to make it to the REI-GPS class, but never seem to get to it in time. The morning of the event, the guys downloaded me and basically showed me how to get the course back up in the mornings or after I turn the power off. Maybe I should do an interview with the Dist37-AMA GPS Guru's for some insight.

Hey you ADVrider guys... anyone have this route marked on GPS and knows how to post/transfer files?

That reminds me, I have to send my Garmin 60CSx back for service as I just about tore the top off.

More images coming soon.