LA to Barstow to Vegas (Nov. 28-29,2008)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by M1Jeep, Aug 18, 2008.

1. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Are you riding both days?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I'll be on my 620 and my partner will be on a 950 like you......I think we're going to take the Dualsport route and just stay away from the hadway options.......we got the impression the Adventure route was more geared towards street oriented Adventure bikes (Buell, VStroms, and any other big/heavy/minimal travel ADV bikes)

Read this thread over at D37 (Post #6): http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23452
  3. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    i am 100% IN now.
    got the go ahead from the boss that i can have time off(i work fridays and saturdays).

:clap :freaky
  4. ktmdog

ktmdog ktmdog

Oddometer:
    Hey crawdaddy
    thanks for the link
    I know Dave Tonkas rather well I might agree with you about the reg route on day 1 but those big bikes in sand washes are a handful so maybe the adv rout on day 2
    do you have any questions for dave or other info let mr know what you decide
    I am a decent rider just don't want to bang up the 950 too mich
    steve
  5. ktmdog

ktmdog ktmdog

Oddometer:
    zi did it on a klr rode there and rode home not bad but the sandwashes ok so I am an idiot:evil
  6. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    Looks like I have a pass to go on this ride! Can't decide wether to take the newly dual-sported 450 MXC, or the trusty 950 for the DS route.

Any other 950's getting knobbed up for this??? :freaky

Pointman
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    If you have the logistics worked out on shuttling your 450 to the start line in the Smell-A area, and home from Lost Wages, then the 450 may be more fun since you can tackle any terrain they throw at you on that bike....

However, if you've been there/done that, or don't really care about tackling the tougher stuff, or don't feel like hassling with all the logistical crap that this ride entails if you shuttle, then you may have a blast on the 950 too......

I've done it before on my EXC400 so I thought I'd try something new involving more miles/less logistical hassle and ride it on my Adv bike this year (granted my ADV bike is smaller/lighter than a 950 or one of the other big ADV bikes).

Spooned a new MT16 front and D606 rear on the 620 last night.....new chain and rear sprocket will go on before this weekend .......valves have been adjusted.......all systems go.......looking forward to the ride......BRING IT!
  8. ktmdog

ktmdog ktmdog

Oddometer:
    I am taking my 950 ridin there ridin back. note i believe yo need a GPS for the adv route (which I have) I am speaking to the promotors about the routre as we speak
    looking for a ridin buddy
    any takers
    I live in Sylmar N (San Fernando Valley)
    Steve
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    What is your plan?
  10. ktmdog

ktmdog ktmdog

Oddometer:
    Basicly up early friday off to sign in
    Still deciding which way to go
    do the route then back on the 15 on Sunday or I can take Monday off and create a cool route for the way back
    I am a fairly good off road rider and have done this ride 4 or 5 times a long time ago ( I am 51 years young) Easy way is not bad but those LOOOOONG sandwashes can be a pain I di it on a klr one year and it was not so fun all else is O.K.
    off to work
    thanks
    Steve
  11. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just started a new job and can't get the time off for this epic ride. You FF's have a great time and post some pics for us at home.
  12. RAZR

Oddometer:
    i'm also looking for peeps to hook up and ride.

my usual L.A. crew is not going to make this one, so i'm solo so far and this is my first L.A.-Barstow-Vegas.

i have an 07 KLR650, pretty okay rider, want to do hard route, i have a Garmin 76csx and a roll chart, probably slabbing back(gotta work on Monday), have not looked into motel situation, etc.

so some guidance in the planning, gear, routes, etc etc.

thanks,
    charles
  13. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Sounds like me.
  14. mudpig

mudpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. RAZR

Oddometer:

i posted over there as well.

i'm sure i would end up hooking up with some folks on the way, but i DO want to ride fast, i DO want to ride the hard route, if i could split a motel room and possibly get a ride back in a truck, i would like to do that.
  16. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    Fresh tires, tire tools, camelbak and snacks, 14t front sprocket, clean air filter, comfortable riding gear, you'll be fine.

Don't lollygag and take pictures, stay on it or you'll finish in the dark, and that sucks.

This'll be my 8th time, 7th on my 99 KLR.
    I <s>cheated</s> rode an XR650R one year.

Thanks
    CA Stu

PS Hope you like to ride sand. :deal
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kids!

I entered the real deal in 74 on a Triumph 500 but broke clutch cable on the starting line. Came back in 75 on an XL175 finished just out of top 10% no-trophy! In the early-mid 90's I was the first chairman of the Dual Sport event after Jim Pilon who was chairman of the first several ones.
  18. PigTamer

PigTamer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, just came back to Bike Life after 20 years of envy & tears at the sight of lucky riders. Used to be moto-x'r (racer) until my early 20's, then the fun stopped. By Divine intervention and Boss's benevolence I'm back with a vengeance, got a 04 1150gs .....and loooooving it. Questions: Is it too big for the LA-B-LV? Since I have only ridden 300+ miles so far, how good of a shape you suppose to be in to ride? Any other Riders from southeast L.A County? Thanks,

J.C.
  19. RAZR

Oddometer:
    hey Stu,
    we've met at Eagle Mike's tech day in the spring/summer.
    i wouldn't say i like sand, but i go out to the desert and ride with Riceless quite often and he pushes me to my limits:clap
    oh and i'm not a photo guy, but i'm trying to get better since a lot of the guys i ride with like to see ride reports:deal
    on my KLR i have a 44 on back, 14 up front, and for the slab back i have a 16.
    i will be ordering new 606s for this and i'm good on camelbak, ortlieb dry bags, clean filter and new oil.

so, maybe i'll see you at the starting point.:evil
  20. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    Hi J.C.

They are going to have a Adventure route this year, so I bet you would be fine. Go to the District 37 message board and you will find more info.

Good luck, glad your back in the saddle. Jim