LA to Dallas TX

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by 1bigrn, Mar 7, 2020.

1. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to make a trip in April from LA area to Dallas TX. I have 8 days to make the trip. What route would people recommend, what are the must see places. On my tentative list presently is Joshua tree, Grand Canyon, Big Bend Tx.. now I need to fill in the in between days.
    sanderjavant likes this.
  2. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    It's been a while since I've been on I 20 between Big Bend and Dallas, but there is not much out there to see except pump jacks and skinny cattle. Balmorhea State Park has a swimming pool that is build around a cienega. Monahans Sandhills is pretty cool if you like dunes, but you've probably have dunes in SoCal. For the rests of I20 I would refer you to the local chambers of commerce.

Now if it were me taking the trip, from Big Bend I would take us 90 to Uvalde. There are a few things along the way that are interesting like the Saloon at Langtree, the Pecos River bridge, Seminole Canyon State park (petroglyphs) and the old movie set in Bracketville. From Uvalde I'd go north and catch the Three Sisters. This is a loop made of Texas 335, 336 and 337. They are a snaky set of paved ranch roads. Make sure you hit it on a week day. On the weekend it's a train of cruisers seeing who can ride the slowest. From there on to Kerrville and the Texas Hill Country. Get the Butler Map, it's worth the 15 bucks. There is easily a couple of days worth of tourista stuff in San Antonio and Austin. Most of the barbecue joints are good no matter where you go in the State.

Other than that Bisbee, Az might be a fun stop.

m
  3. kirkkw

kirkkw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Carlsbad caverns is worth a stop.
    Meriden likes this.
  4. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    In eastern AZ, highway 191 from Alpine to Morenci (actually better to go Morenci to Alpine), then in NM 152 from Silver City to Hillsboro.
    kwthom likes this.
  5. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    4 corners area
    Arizona meteor crater?
    and another one near Odessa, TX. The TX one is quite underwhelming unless you're into that stuff like me.
    Monahans Sand Dunes, also in TX.
    Pie Town, NM
    Loretto Chapel staircase in Santa Fe, NM
  6. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I-10/I-20 thru Texas, as mentioned above, is pretty bleak. You might consider going I-40 thru New Mexico (good native scenery) and once you get to Amarillo, head Southeast on US287. Take in Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo and (if its open) Palo Duro Canyon outside of Amarillo (just east of Canyon, TX).
  7. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've seen gravel pits more impressive than the Odessa Meteor Crater...:lol2

NFE
  8. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    two wheels or four?

Um, probably the ride (drive) that gets you between those places - as in, find some interesting roads between them and count *them* as destinations.

There's quite a delta between Big Bend and Dallas, but then again, you knew that.

Once you get to the eastern part of NM, you'll probably just haul ass to get to Dallas.
  9. 1bigrn

1bigrn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two wheel for sure. As you can imagine the ride is on hold until after this Covid-19 situation. But any suggestions to make the trip better is appreciated.
    I can only assume a mid summer trip would be hot as hell. Would early fall be a better time?
  10. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected! >:0

Oddometer:
    There really isn't a good time to cross the Permian ..
    Meriden likes this.
  11. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    .... that’s why I’d suggest taking the northern route of I-40 to amarillo and pick up US 287 to the Metroplex. If the OP is heading to North Dallas, 287 to US 82, the south on US 75. Mainly farm/pastureland from Amarillo to the outskirts of the Metroplex.
    kwthom likes this.