LA to Pittsburgh on CSCs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Spoilyfarts, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    We were mildly inconvenienced by a loose connector under my gas tank on the way to Long Beach. We ended up not going to Top of the World because there were way too many people in the area.

IMG_20200627_120940.jpg

We had to pull it all apart to wiggle the main connector and life was restored. These bikes are very easy to work on.

We didn't do much in Long Beach besides drive past the Indy Car track, but the road out of there towards Santa Clarita is a lot of fun and the hills are wonderful.
    IMG_20200627_172659.jpg

Now we're finishing up an oil change and planning to head out in the morning.
  2. shortbritches

shortbritches Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Don't forget the valve adjustment. They are often out of spec very quickly at first. Also drive chain adjustment. Ride on!!
  4. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    We intended to do the valves and oil last night, but we couldn't get the 3 screws off of the cover to turn the crank and the timing marks don't line up with what the manual show. I'm waiting to hear back from Wade with his suggestions. We're only at 300 miles so far, so the valves aren't super super important, but they will be very soon.
  5. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil change on mine was very uneventful.. next to nothing in the screen. The 3 screws on the crank cover on mine were not removable with a screwdriver.. I had to use a ratchet with a screwdriver bit to get enough torque. I rounded one out (with the screwdriver) and had to use a Speedout tool to remove it. FWIW.. CSC did send me replacements for free..
    Don
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  6. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In, this one looks fun.

Also +1 for stopping by the Indycar track. Real shame the race didn't happen this year.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  7. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a tip with those covers: I use a coin/washer with a pair of pliers as close to the cover as possible. Also, Honda ones can be fitted, the ones for the CRF150/230/most Honda models have an allan head on them, but they're aluminium, so you need to use good tools on them or they'll round out quickly. You could also just buy super cheap 'bling' ones on eBay, they're usually allan, and will fit. Following along! I know a bit about these motors, let me know if you need any help!
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  8. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks like a blast, and a similar deal my wife and I did for our honeymoon almost 4 years ago now. We flew out and got one tt250, rode it 10 days/1,100 miles in the cali/baja desert and then shipped it home (didn't have the vaca time for a cross country run) We still have the bike, with 5,500 miles on it now. They are very good machines.

Our TT liked getting a quality chain on it with the extra weight onboard, even with that it's still a good idea to lube and adjust every day or 2. The valves stayed in spec on my engine until around 3,000 miles, then I had to bring the exhaust out a bit. After the first few hundred miles the motors really free themselves and feel good.

Have a great trip, the bikes will carry you anywhere you want-slowly :1drink
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  9. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    We made it to Rachel, NV and got some food and now I can update! I only have 3G here, so pictures will follow when I am able to upload them.

After we left the hotel Sunday morning, which seems like forever ago, we headed out towards Mahogany Flats. We started off riding through Angeles forest and it was COLD. It was so foggy that we could barely see the other side of the valley. Does anyone know why there are so many power lines there?

From there we made our way to Kern County, somewhere outside of Mojave, and found a giant wind farm. This was the first attempt at taking the SG off pavement and it did surprisingly well! But the pegs are way too small for standing. The TT just chugged along and hasn't had any problems so far. There was a hole at the top of the hill we went to that James almost went in to. We both decided if a bike had going in, it would have been better just left there.

The next stop was Jawbone gas station before heading into the hottest temperatures we've seen yet. But there were some really cool passes we had to go through before heading up to the Flats.

I think I have some pictures of part of the approach to the Flats, so I'll post those if I do. The paved road turned to what felt like permanent gravel, which in turn turned in to actual gravel and dirt. We stopped by at the charcoal kilns that were built in 1877 and they were big! The 1.6 miles to Mahogany Flats was about 1000ft increase in elevation and that was the longest ride of my life. I was beat. The bike was beat. We both just wanted a break. But we made it and it was completely worth it! A couple from somewhere near San Francisco were staying in the site next to ours and invited us over for dinner because they had made too much. It turns out there guy is from the town where my dad grew up and then we got to talking about the crazy pilots flying around the area and the cool planes he's seen here/worked with. We had to cut the night short because the temperature was dropping and the wind was picking up. It eventually turned into a wind storm that lasted for a good 5 hours.

Pro tip: if you like being rocked to sleep in a hammock, but hate trying to constantly rock yourself, try using 2 trees in a wind storm. You'll never want to rock yourself to sleep again!

It ended up dropping into what we're guessing was the mid to high 30F. James and I both were wearing everything we had and were still freezing.

Today, Monday (which I already didn't know what day it was) started off with a very brisk ride back to pavement and Stovepipe Wells where we were met with the second sand storm of the trip. We gassed up, used the bathrooms, and left for Tonopah. The ride was all up hill, with a head wind, in the 50F. Now I ride in the winter, so I'm not afraid of some cold, but it was frigid! The run to Tonopah was all 70mph and the bikes were not having it. We were able to hold about 50mph for most of it, but about 20 miles outside of Tonopah they were getting hot and acting up. It was early noon by the time we got there.

The goal for Tonopah was to get gas, I discovered the SG will flash the fuel gauge and has a low fuel light, find some food, get some coffee, and then find a tool to get into the crank cover. The warmer gear was a complete bust, the Burger King had a good burger, but we forgot about the coffee, and, thankfully, Tonopah has a Napa! After inspiration from @dp064 , we found a screwdriver with a hex for a wrench and had those bolts off in no time. We headed back to the Burger King for more gas because there is no fuel between there and Rachel and for 40 miles after Rachel, to get the coffee we had forgotten about, and to finally do the valve adjustment.

Wade told us when we did the valves the bikes would run a bit better.

That is an understatement.

Our max yesterday was 68, not GPS confirmed. After the valves, I hit 78. Again, not GPS confirmed. And they are so much happier at higher revs for longer periods! The bikes post break-in service are wonderful.

The trip to Rachel was 110ish miles and full of beautiful mountains and valleys and cows. This part of Nevada is truly a thing to behold.

Now we're sitting at the Little A'le'inn eating dinner, having a few beers, and talking with the locals about all the things they've seen in their small town. Everyone we have met on the road so far has been full of interesting stories and good cheer. It's been amazing.

It's also nice being and to take a shower, get into a clean bed, and not have to worry about performing some sort of maintenance/work.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thank you.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  11. shortbritches

shortbritches Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, keep it up guys!
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  12. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    We just made it to Ely, NV, so I can upload some pictures now.

IMG_20200628_080655.jpg
    The Angeles forest was full of these towers. Is there a powerplant up north?
    IMG_20200628_080702.jpg
    This was towards the top of the pass before we started going back down towards the warmth and sun.

IMG_20200628_083006.jpg
    IMG_20200628_092320.jpg
    IMG_20200628_092352.jpg
    Kern County and the giant hole

IMG_20200628_132322.jpg
    This is the road going into Searles Valley where we hit our first dust storm.

IMG_20200628_141100.jpg
    IMG_20200628_144308.jpg
    IMG_20200628_153828.jpg
    IMG_20200628_171517.jpg
    This was the view of the kilns from Mohogany Flats.
  13. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200629_063356.jpg
    Leaving the flats in the morning, James finally had reception and had to call home. Not a bad place to stop.

IMG_20200629_063400.jpg
    IMG_20200629_081907.jpg
    The was the second dust storm we had to get through. Stovepipe Wells and some sand dunes are in there, but I have no idea what they look like.

IMG_20200629_124628.jpg
    The solution for the stuck screws in Tonopah. Thanks again @dp064 for the idea!

IMG_20200629_161613.jpg
    I think this was outside of Warm Springs. We only saw sheep and cows, so make sure you fill up in Tonapah because the next fuel stop is in Hiko.

IMG_20200630_063949.jpg
    The Little A'le'inn! Good beer and great conversation. Everyone needs to stop here more than once. I'm already planning a trip back.

IMG_20200630_070940.jpg

IMG_20200630_071013.jpg

The Black Mailbox that marks the entrance to Area 51. It's covered in stickers most of which don't make sense. This road is right in front of the mailbox facing towards Crystal Springs. The mountains are getting bigger.

IMG_20200630_073821.jpg
    We made it through the entire Extraterrestrial Highway without seeing any aliens and I didn't even see any jets! James has a video of an F35 doing a targeting run in Rachel that I missed.

IMG_20200630_095517.jpg
    A quick pee break in the way to Ely.

We're all gassed up in Ely and eating some really good Mexican food at a Sinclair gas station. We're now looking for some warmer blankets because we don't want to spend another freezing night in the desert.

Next stop, Bonneville Salt flats.
  14. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little AleInn.. awesome!

Great pics / ride report!
    Don
    Spoilyfarts likes this.
  15. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    We've made it to our site for the night and have reception! The Lost boys site by the Sinclair in Wendover is a fantastic site and very easy to get to.

IMG_20200630_171550.jpg
    We saw this guy in the parking lot. Looks like someone was having fun.

IMG_20200630_172423.jpg
    IMG_20200630_172417.jpg
    Back there is where we're camping.

The site:
    IMG_20200630_183626.jpg
    IMG_20200630_183634.jpg
    IMG_20200630_190828.jpg

Tomorrow we're off towards Moab.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Great stuff guys. Thanks for taking the time to do the report.....we all know it's not easy.
    shortbritches likes this.
  17. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    Before we left Bonneville yesterday, we went out on the salt for some fun and pictures. The Sinclair there has some really nice showers, too.

IMG_20200630_211321.jpg
    IMG_20200701_083901.jpg
    Route 80 is the road east from Bonneville and since our bikes can't go that fast, we took Frontage road. It was 60 miles of the worst "paved" roads I've ever seen, mud, dirt, gravel, and sand and just incredible amounts of fun. We finally saw some antelope, too!

IMG_20200701_091151.jpg
    We started thinking we got lost and ended up in New Jersey with an the sand dunes on the road.

IMG_20200701_102022.jpg
    IMG_20200701_102029.jpg
    IMG_20200701_102041.jpg
    IMG_20200701_104958.jpg
    IMG_20200701_105004.jpg
    IMG_20200701_115758.jpg
    The is the aftermath, sitting in Grantsville, talking about how great the day was going.

From Grantsville we headed over to a Walmart in Tooele to find some long underwear since nights in the mountains are cold and with the increased elevation, days would likely get colder, too. It turns out, summer is not the time to find long underwear anywhere. I called Steadman Cycles in Tooele and they said they had a big box packed away that they'd be happy to pull out for has. They were very nice people!

Attached Files:

18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that looks like a blast. And those little bikes are perfect for the kind of terrain you're picturing! I keep thinking of how terrible my SCR950 would be on those "roads" :D

Charles.
  19. Spoilyfarts

Spoilyfarts whomp whomp

Oddometer:
    After we left Steadman's, it was a straight shot to Price where we found some more BLM land and camped for the night. We should really learn to not camp on ridges because they are always windy. This one was also full of flies and biting ants, so I had to get creative with my hammock.

IMG_20200701_190602.jpg
    IMG_20200702_070043.jpg
    IMG_20200702_070015.jpg
    IMG_20200701_203240.jpg

I attached one end of the hammock to the tree and the other to a rope on my bike. Just enough to keep the ridgeline tight and the bugn off my face. It worked really well.

We're currently 40ish miles outside of Moab and had the first hiccup of the trip. My engine shutoff while running up a big hill. We're thinking (hoping) it was so dust passing through the carb or just a little over heating. It cranked right over and still runs and idles fine. We're doing our actual oil change tonight at around 1400 miles, so hopefully that will help.
  20. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These bikes really like good oil and often. It will make the shifting better too. I hope that 1,400 miles isn't the first oil change?
    Looks like it's being a fun trip! Love the west, and your journey.

I find my tt250 likes new oil every 1,000 miles, or sooner if it's the peak of summer and I'm flogging it mercilessly.
    Spoilyfarts likes this.