LA to San Diego?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by michael_k, Aug 1, 2005.

1. michael_k

michael_k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have to make it down to San Diego this weekend and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a more interesting route than going down the 5. Anybody?
  2. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could make a big loop through the desert and come in the back way, but it probably wouldn't be a lot of fun this time of year.
  3. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    405 -> 73 -> 5 -> Ortega Hwy (74) -> 15 -> 76 -> Palomar Mtn Rd West up and East down -> 76 -> 79 all the way down to the 8 then west to S.D.

Lots of hills and curves for most of it (74 -> 79). A few warm sections, but nice in the mtns.
  4. michael_k

michael_k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool, thanks guys. have to whip out the map and check it out.
  5. RBJohns

RBJohns FNG

Oddometer:

I'm not sure if you've seen this site, or if it will help your route selection, but it may be worth spending some time checking out:

Pashnit

Rich
  6. michael_k

michael_k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    interesting site. i've been eyeing something like that for europe. a guy i used to work with rolled his own and spent a month traveling all over italy. i gotta get out more...
  7. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

Levity, have you checked to see if Killen trail is open all the way or is it still closed due to storm damage?

If its open, its a great diversion.
  8. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are many side "diversion" possibilities. The Killen Tr from the top of Ortega Hwy down to Wildomar OHV was posted closed about a month ago. I was able to ride by the small barriers to Wildomar, but the Los Alamos Truck Trail gate was locked. As Nick said this is a very fun twisty route, especially when linked from the Tenaja Station to De Luz Rd and Fallbrook. However, it is hot in summer and will add about 1-1.5 hr.

A short, sweeet detour is to take Mesa Grande Rd between Lake Henshaw (from 76) and Santa Isabelle (joins up with 79).

have fun, LV
  9. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know when they are going to close Ortega? I have seen no time table for it. The whole thing is so much BS I can't even believe it's happening, but I'd rather know before heading up that way.
  10. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they close it for sport bike racing every Sunday.....