Lab City Summer 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Hurricane Mountain, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Hurricane Mountain

Hurricane Mountain Strominator

Oddometer:
    August 2008 I will be riding through New England, to Campbellton NB, across to Gaspé, ferry to Baie Comeau, onward to Manic Cinq, Gagnon, and finally to Labrador City. Riding a well-farkled litre Strom. I figure I can't get lost (famous last words) since there's only one road, right?

Any advice? I've never been (on a bike anyhow) beyond the north shore of the St. Lawrence.

Thanks.
  2. davep

davep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring a rain suit and bug spray. DAMHIK
    Dave
  3. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the beginning of the run: when heading north from town of Gaspe, take Rte 198. Solitude, great mountains, twisty. By then you will be tired of slowly going through towns on coastal route 132 from Cambellton.

Expect a lot of construction on paved roads in NB and QC (dirt or gravel surface for several miles a shot).

Ferry: check out the schedule online. You can be surprized by holiday schedule when you expect standard. Quebec has its own holidays, too. If you know the itinerary in advance, reserve on line. Or, call a day ahead from the road. In high season you may not make onto the ferry without reservation - and they only run 2/3 times a day.

Trans-Lab: a lot of useful info on the dedicated site, http://tlhwy.com.

Accommodations: usually, I try to reserve in advance in Choice Hotels chain (primarily Comfort or Quality Inns). Decent quality, usually Internet access. Can be typically cancelled by 4pm - you can reserve few locations and then cancel when you see how the day progresses.

In Matane (departure for Baie Comeau ferry), however, I strongly recommend the Riotel. Same price range as the Comfort Inn, very nice and has a great restaurant on premises. Same distance to harbor: 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.