Labor Day Weekend in Kodiak...

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by kodiakfrank, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    Check out Fort Abercrombie. The road to Chiniak and Pasagshak are both awesome too. Not much in the way of night life, but town can be fun. Will you be camping or hotel'ing it?
  2. ColininKodiak

Oddometer:
  3. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I got asked if I could fix that bridge :deal
  4. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info Colin,

We'll most likely be campin' while we're there.
  5. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Oddometer:
    Hey HayDutch,
    I may be coerced for a trip up Barometer-- my wife & I try to do it annually (and by annually, I mean I've done it twice in the six years I've lived on the Rock). If I wimp out, don't fret; the bears aren't a problem that high up in the fall-- too many fish in the rivers down low.

As for Road's End, I'm sorry to report it's closed. Pie shall have to be attained more conveniently and less tastily in town.

-Eric.
  6. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    This is a :205 Iam sure but what the cost to ride the boat from homer to the rock?
  7. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    For your ass wearing the funky pants the Penguin makes? About 150 thousand.

:hide
  8. Spicy McHaggis

Oddometer:
    No, but seriously.

Looks like about 170 bucks one way. And they are already showing "Limited" for vehicle space. So if you are seriously considering it...you should start making reservations soon...:ricky
  9. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    I'm not too worried about seeing bears above tree line. But the last time I hiked up Barometer was when the big, juicy salmon berries were ripe and it was a little spooky hiking through those thick bushes.

I have a request. One of my (single) friends is thinking about coming to Kodiak with me but she doesn't have a motorcycle. Can anybody scrounge up a spare helmet and see if somebody over there wouldn't mind letting her ride two-up with them for one or two of the rides? I'm a fairly new rider and haven't rode anybody "two up" yet. For some reason, I don't think she'll want to ride over Spicy's broken bridge trail. And I'm sure some of you will be thinking of offering my friend something else to ride on while she's in Kodiak, so go easy on your responses. :D You don't want to scare a couple of single women (gerlz) away from coming to visit the high-class Bushkin Beach House!
  10. ColininKodiak

Oddometer:
    Quick, someone go take down the "No Gerlz Allowd" sign from the beach house.
  11. Spicy McHaggis

Oddometer:
    My wife has a helmet that she can borrow, assuming it fits her. And I've got the sidecar she's more than welcome to ride along in. That way she doesn't have to hold on to anyone...:evil

Heck, if she's REALLY tall, she can ride my XR650L. If she's REALLY short, she can ride my sons CRF50! :lol3
  12. RedShift42

RedShift42 Some guy

Oddometer:
    ...And if she's blind, there's a number of KLRs she might want to ride!
  13. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Will she fit in a milk crate?:ear
  14. CappyRidesAgain

Oddometer:
    I have the bigger milk crate for my KLR! I can fit almost anything! :clap And bought me some new yellow/orange bungees :D Maybe I'll bungee a seat from one of the many Rhinos that are on base. That'd match my rod holders! :lol3
  15. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    Use rope. Bungies be dangerous and might rip the fine Corinthian Leather of the Rhino seat.
    [​IMG]

Or, you could stop bt the Safeway and "borrow" a bread crate from out back of the store; they're like 36"x48". Hell, you could even fit one of the two legged sealions from the Mecca on that rear rack.:deal

:freaky
  16. ColininKodiak

Oddometer:
    :drif
  17. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    And after living on the rock.
    [​IMG]
  18. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Boy, it sure sounds as if you guys and possibly-gay Coasties in Kodiak are extremely hospitable and willing to roll out the red carpet for your visitors. Cool! :clap However, I think my friend would quit talking to me if I told her she was welcome to ride along with somebody if she could squeeze herself into a milk crate. She's smaller than a sealion (and much cuter than a sealion) but she's bigger than a milk crate. I'm not sure what a rhino seat is. However, I have seen a real rhinoceros up close and personal and I don't think I'd like to ride one of those, bungee cords or not. I'm trying to talk another female friend into attending this shindig, so maybe we'll have some good (and sane) representation from the feminine side.:toney And no - I don't think any of us are excited about participating in any potential public hotdog events, with or without alcoholic inducement. :photog
  19. kodiakfrank

Oddometer:
    I can't foresee any reason for "sanctioned" wiener games.:deal yWith that said, you and your friends (anyone else too) are welcome to search the island in hopes of finding your own unique type of wiener debauchery.:lol3

In fact I don't see much need for a whole lot of organization for the shin-dig. Perhaps a poker run just to give folks a chance to see some of the finer points of Kodiak.

I have set us up for the Buskin Beach House for the weekend which will give the folks a place to meet, sleep (in the building or camp), shower, BBQ, and share adult beverages.

All safely away from the prying eyes of the local gendarme.:lol3
  20. CappyRidesAgain

Oddometer:
    I'll be the MWR Host.

We could invite the harley riders and when we hit chiniak, just keep going. :rofl

Also, she want a ride from this guy?
    [​IMG]

Or this guy?
    [​IMG]

:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3