Labor Day Weekend in Ouray, CO

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by GSL, Aug 6, 2002.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    It's an annual trip for me (5 years running), but this year, will be on the GS. :beer

We're setting up base camp at the Victorian Inn in Ouray, chosen for its hot tub with a nice view of sunset in the rock amphitheatre above.

Daily rides will be mostly off-pavement. Imogene Pass, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, Cinnamon Pass, Ophir Pass, etc. If we do Black Bear Pass :bite, I may be a pussy and take the DRZ400. But, if another GSer were to come along, I might be coaxed into getting stupid :bash , for the "photographic" value, of course, as I always tell my wife. :rofl

I know it's short notice, but any takers?
  2. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    Anyone else respond? I was thinking of possibly going to the Range of Light ride in CA but that is quite a hike for me. Ouray is quite a bit closer. Any additiona information?

Thanks
  3. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    So far, no one else from AdvRider has responded. We do have a couple other people going though. So far it's me and my wife, and up to 4 others. It's nothing organized, just a few Internet aquaintances.

I will be riding my GS there and my wife will be trailering her dirtbike and my DRZ. All of the others are on smaller dual-sports (250's-400's).

While the riding is fantastic, the main reason for riding around Ouray is the scenery. These two pics don't even begin to do it justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The high mountain passes surrounding Ouray exceed 13,000 and several of the more famous ones are listed in my first post. If off-road is not your thing, Highway 550 (the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Silverton) runs right thru downtown Ouray, and is one of the most spectacular in the country.

Not sure what else I can tell you. If you haven't been to Ouray, you're missing one of the best reasons to ride in Colorado.

As for lodging, we're staying at the Victorian Inn on Saturday and Sunday nights. It's the cheapest yet closest place to downtown, so dinner and drinks are only a two block walk. Camping is also available in the area.

Many other formal and informal motorcycle rallies are taking place in and around the area at this time of the year. The parking lots will be full of dirtbikes, sportbikes, cruisers, GSers, you name it. I'm not a huge fan of MC rallies, but just thought I'd mention it.
  4. Bartman

Bartman SnowDog

Oddometer:
    I'd love to go but I just realized I've got tickets to see Bob Dylan at Deer Valley on Friday night. He may not be around too much longer so this could be one of my last chances. I'd love to hook up with you at some point though and do some GS riding in your neck of the woods. Saw your post re moab. Not sure I'd want to be taking a GS on slickrock though. Mountain biked it numerous times. would be quite sketchy on a GS. Haven't got the smaller MX bike yet.......

Thanks again
  5. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    That's cool.

Moab: I do not plan on riding the Slickrock Trail proper (the mtn. bike trail would be WAY sketchy) on the GS. But there's plenty of other good slickrock type stuff there that is very GSable. :):

Then there's the White Rim Trail... :super
  6. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride-hope to be able to join you next year...have a blast!