Lack of 2 wheels in Kelowna, BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BecaBoo, Oct 7, 2020.

1. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Just spent a couple of days touring around Kelowna as a possible relocation choice. I was happy to see a city full of bicycle lanes but...where are all the 2 wheelers? I saw very few bicyclists, no mopeds, no scooters and very few road riders. That city is set up perfect for 2 wheels. There is obviously a traffic issue since there are HOV lanes. I popped into a local dealership cause I like to see how heathly the biking community is. A dealership sometimes gives you a sense of a place. I asked why no bikes of any kind. They mentioned end of the season, insurance rates, not alot of dual sporters in the area, there is a highway through town of 80kph that goes from red light to red light which "scooters cant do" (he obviously didnt know about scooters), there is some sort of tiered system of getting a motorcycle licenses..

His reasons all sounded fairly reasonable. His reasons also sounded like a load of shit and shit rolls downhill generally. What is going on in that town as far as the local government not promoting 2 wheelers? Someone educate me here. It was weird seeing a city without even an ebike. Dirt boys got it going on up in the hills but where is everyone else? 2 wheels are always on my horizon motorized or not.
    CCitis likes this.
  2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20200830_121154.jpg Street riding sucks here. Too many shit drivers. We're all out in the hills having fun.
    Propfrwrd, Jeathrow Bowdean and MGV8 like this.
  3. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    The idea of one type of riding or bike is a little too one dimensional for me and the people who ride one way are too. Nothing wrong with it but it just dont float my boat. I mean, how many chicken mcnuggets can one person eat? I agree about the shit drivers. Any thoughts on why bikes arent being utilized in Kelowna. I see a city that's car centric and bike dealerships that arent particularly knowledgable. I talk to dirt guys and they are just like the Harley guys. Not too many thinking out of the box, weekend warrior types who like the sound of their own pipes. Yup, there are shit drivers but also shitty riders who enjoy the "us vs them" mentality. I've not interested in which style is better or more fun. They all have good things and bad things about them. If you think the hills are best, great. Stay up there. If you want to discuss bikes (all of them) and what the deal is in Kelowna..then come on down. Not to jump on you but I dont like stupid and I dont like lazy. I've asked a question and opened up a topic.
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Qualicum Beach and own a E Mt bike as well as a roady, and there is hordes of both here. But there is also a fantastic trail network for Mt bikes. Also the motorcycle segment is large as well with their being a lot of retired guys here.
    BecaBoo likes this.
  5. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a large community of Moto guys and gals in Kelowna you just have to spend some time and find them. The city has grown so much in the last ten to twenty years that it has lost it's way a bit. Give it time it might find it's way back. But for now it is kind of a place to avoid if you're riding any thing two wheels.
    spacely and BecaBoo like this.
  6. Kamloopsrider

Kamloopsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well it is October, try again in july and August.
    Or go with Yogi, " Nobody goes there anymore, there's too many people"
    ggrant and BecaBoo like this.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    there is a great moto community there. saving grace - the rest of it sucks. YMMV.
    the influx of younger folks/city folks gives me hope for the future of Kelowna. YMMV
    bicycles? the bro dozer trucks like to brush your elbows. they consider it a sport. my experience .....
    Holaday, BecaBoo and shuswap1 like this.
  8. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found it to be a concrete jungle, heavy traffic, stop lights everywhere, simply the least desirable place in the Okanagan Valley. Westside road is fun, however!
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vernon , Salmon Arm the north Okanagan is much better, Kamloops is okay also. Kelowna is a traffic night mare, I lived near Enderby for 25 years
    BecaBoo likes this.
  10. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    You are angry. Don’t suffer lazy people well. As you said. ... K. .... it’s hard to respond to your questions.
    What are you looking for ? What are your expectations? What are your preferred places. ...?

Just ask. BTW you hide your profile. ? Where you are from .....?
  11. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Speaking for myself as someone living in Kelowna, the best riding around Kelowna is not in Kelowna. If you're driving through downtown you won't see me very often. I'm usually out on the highways, backroads and dirt roads which are in abundance and are excellent. The Okanagan, Shuswap and West Kootenay areas are all within a day ride for me.
    Cal, BecaBoo, shuswap1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Sound of the border in one of those shithole countries. But been here a while. Pardon the attitude. It's a cultural thing. Where I come from, it's normal. People often think its angry. It's not, just direct. Also, been on the road. Must have driven 2000 miles all over BC. I only had another day left in Kelowna before having to hit road again. I needed a shower. I am and was in need of info to stem my disappointment. Trail system across river was real nice. Spent a few days camped out. Nice fella working the camp ground there. Still travelling before having to head home. Praires. The fucking praires. I need off them. I'm not giving up any more riding but work is here for now. Still on road so will re read some of the comments next pit stop. Thanks for responding btw to everyone who did.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grandparents homesteaded in Enderby, where the high school sits now, spent many summer days as a child looking at the cliffs, swimming at the Waterwheel, tremendous nostalgia for me. Great pavement to Mabel Lake now, it will spoil anyone who likes the twisties.
    I'd add Penticton to that list, in my view far nicer than Kelowna
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  14. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live riding both motorbikes and MTB, but stay clear of downtown and the hwy through "K" town. Your putting your life at risk. Kelowna has a lot of bike lanes, but all of them at some point run into a crappy situation. Like a hwy, bike lane just ends, etc, etc. Its a big, busy city and people are ripping around and most on their cell phones?
    Exploring our hills are awesome for sure.
    Penticton is far better for biking around. Channel bike path is awesome.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My house was at Mable Lake but sold it to fund retirement, I got crazy money for it! lol Lots from Vancouver and Calgary willing to pay above market!
  16. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice area, that lake is always so placid looking, think I need to explore it from the water side next summer. Just out of curiosity, did you ever get to the top of Mt Mara? It's also on my bucket list. Quite a bit riding between there and 3 Valley Gap as well.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    downloadfile-7~2.jpg
    This was between Mable Lake and Three Valley Gap July 2019.
    That trip they were really widening the road that had become pleasantly overgrown north of all the fancy Lake houses. Logging in the area had necessitated the "improvements". Shame really but it grows back in quickly.
    Cal likes this.
  18. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've lamented the loss of our fav twisty trails over the years to the 'highways' created by the logging industry.....but I agree....they do grow back in over time and re-acquire some 'character' in the process. Some actually become quite choked with slappers. I'm grateful for the almost 360 degrees roaming we have to choose from, even with a bit of travel required
    BecaBoo and Lycan1 like this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean Mable Lake and 3 valley gap. I have driven that road a dozen times in every thing from Acura to accord to F150
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have been to Mara Lookout in Jan, on sleds and also in summer on my old RT 180
    shuswap1 likes this.