Lack of 2 wheels in Kelowna, BC

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BecaBoo, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Correct and corrected.
    And now you could do it in a class 8 truck, or at least I could.

IMG_0743-2.jpg
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aww, the RT180, have a friend's in the garage now. Would you say that Mt Mara is doable on larger ADV bikes and intermediate riders? I haven't found enough info on the trail, so thought I would ask for your impressions.
    Thanks, Greg
  3. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    I was up at Mara Lookout in August. I don't recommend a big bike.
    There was miles and miles of this...
    [​IMG]
    Very exhausting, even on the 350.

But also rewarding...
    Morton Lake
    [​IMG]

Mabel Lake
    [​IMG]

Shuswap Lake / Bastion Mountain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful time of year up there in August in the meadows. There were still a couple of patches of residual snow near the top, but well off the road.
    [​IMG]
  4. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Theres riding in the area and beyond. Ok. What's insurance rates for on road? Also, I'm curious about general folks attitudes of Kelowna hence my question about the bike lanes. What's the level of political corruption in town? Seems people dont like the big city. Every place I've been to has people who hate where they live. Spoke to a couple of ladies working in a laundramate. Said they hated Kelowna less than Calgary, that the town was expensive and clicky. One was trapped. Just had to keep working. I see more homeless which happens in warmer climates, I know. I also see alot of money in the town which is problematic too. I'm not particularly interested in the price of your house, how green your lawn is or schooling in the area. Children are an expense better served being spent on a bike. Yup, that was a joke. Sort of. I am interested in a manageable city with access to riding near by and a longer riding season. Are normal working people able to live there? Places under 100k population are problematic. 0 culture, your standard cookie cutter developments and all the shit stores that go with them. There just arent enough amenities unless you think Walmart is one. Dont get me wrong, walmart has some good deals though. Kelowna had some aesthetic too and yer...that's important to me. So has Kelowna and neighbouring hills been priced out for regular folk? I checked out Kamloops, Red Deer, AB and everything in between. They both look more affordable but also more soul crushing. Everything else is too small. Red deer is too far from the mountains. Not super keen on Calgary. I dont want to sit on a highway for an hour to get to riding country. Anyway....the search continues....I like cities or access under 1/2 hour to them and I like riding. It's a God damn search for a unicorn. Looks like I'm compromising more and more. I just havent seen anything that says "yer, I can make it work. Perfect no, but workable ".
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    check out Squamish, maybe - lots of changes there, slightly expensive.
    use the MLS if you want to get an idea re: house costs in different locales. they sell fast, in many cases .......
    the Island also has some really positive attributes ........
    Kelowna has very little sunlight in the winter - not something most folks realize. check the stats, for confirmation.
    and - the roads are covered in small rocks, 5-6 months of the year, dust f'n everywhere ........ mixed with wood smoke.
    BecaBoo likes this.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! NO-GO for the bigger bikes but we have lighter bike alternatives, prob next year given the snowfall last night seems to have reached Crowfoot Cabin. Thanks for the pics!
    NW Coaster likes this.
  7. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to ask about the smoke. Had a nice 10 day tromp about in Invermere area about a month ago. Endless logging roads but smoke killed the last 2 days of riding. Packed up camp, loaded bikes and went home. Same thing on Lolo pass in Montana a couple years back. Still getting used to the west and things like fire bans. Camping without fire is an odd concept. Same goes for bear! Vancouver area might be too west. I was able to get lost for a couple of weeks to go looking for a new homestead but home needed attending to. All this takes legwork to find a proper place to hang your hat. I've been circling Calgary past 2 days but need to head back to praires again. Had some of the best Thai salad rolls Ive ever eaten and remembered why I like certain aspects of city..but then looked at those mountains far off.
  8. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    they burn the trimmed vines in the spring. quite often 10-15 fires smoldering on the hills in the springtime - mixed with dust from the roads - and a touch of poison from the orchard spraying. it's a dry heat ........ the rattlesnakes like it. : )
  9. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You do realize your looking for the impossible, this is Canada after all :D
  10. BecaBoo

BecaBoo Short timer

Oddometer:
    What? Thai salad rolls and riding? I'll make my own then. ;) Very few things are impossible. I came back from a bad wreck and basically relearn how to ride amongst other things. I remember one doctor said never again. I remember proving her wrong. I'm not as fast these days but I still go and I'll find a new home.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Seems no matter where you live in this country, locals think that they live with the worst drivers. IMNSHO Toronto & Montreal are the worst
    BecaBoo likes this.
  12. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made it back up mara this summer on the 790, been a while. the last 2km is down right nasty boulder field of a hill climb. Worth the sweat for sure. 20200803_142153.jpg
    Lycan1, MGV8 and Cal like this.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The view is incredible and the boulder field just means you might have worked for it! Next year can't come soon enough for me, I expect snow at that elevation by now. Thx!
    MGV8 and Cal like this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My daughter is living on the Mable Lake road about 6 km from the turn off and she said the mtn tops are covered in snow right now
    shuswap1, MGV8 and Night_Wolf like this.