Ladakh and zanskar this summer - Riders to accompany...

Discussion in 'Asia' started by touringDEVIL, Mar 12, 2014.

1. touringDEVIL

touringDEVIL n00b

Oddometer:
    I am riding to Leh Ladakh this June/July. I have been there 2 times already and want the fellow riders to come join me. Dates are tentative and can be planned according to the availability. Hope to have a great trip.

Vroooommmm....
    :norton
  2. vzuwOw

vzuwOw n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi touringDevil
    I was at zanskar last year.
    Hoping to go this year too.
    No plans finalised as of now.

Regards

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  3. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:

from what city you will be riding to ladakh. we are starting from hyd on june 21st .. so will be doing ladakh somewhere by 1 june :)

where ya frm ?
  4. wibble

wibble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All.

I have a question you probably can answer...I want to do a trip around the north of India, along the passes. It will not be this year but can you clarify the best time to do this...you are going june, july. They are better than august?:ear:freaky
  5. lazeerider

lazeerider n00b

Oddometer:
    The passes are frozen most of the year, the only window to ride there is from June to September.
    The passes open sometime in early to mid June.
    If you go early in the season, i.e June and July, the snow will still be melting and you will find a lot of water crossings, which is fun. You may also find occasional landslides. On the flip-side you will also find a lot of tourist traffic. I personally enjoy going at this time since its a little more challenging.

August and September is a good time to go if you want to avoid the tourist traffic and the water/snow. The whole place is much more relaxed during this time.

So take your pick.

Cheers
  6. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    yah yah, another tourist riding northern India/Nepal:rofl

actually 2 of us, a kiwi and a singaporian indian...so far. Really prefer not an Enfield, like the idea of a Hero Impulse or Hartford (Nepalese), but pretty dinky engines surrounded by better dual-sport bike concept.

Anyhow if anyone is still riding this August (end july to early sept), we r basically booked. No tour companies, no rules, no restrictions aside from the timeframe. Keen on Ladakh, Leh, Manikaran, then maybe train Shimla to Lucknow with bikes to save a bit of flat road time...then ride to and thru Nepal.

Plan B...arrive Delhi and train to Varanasi then bus to Nepal (I've done this b4...easy). Buy Nepalese bike which is easily rideable in India. Not sure if easy to SELL in India tho???? Certainly this option saves plenty of kms and time if we do the riding in the reverse order and finish in Delhi.

Care to join us? Want to scold us for not thinking right? All welcome ;)
  7. wibble

wibble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :freaky Great...................... thanks for the info. That's has helped:norton
  8. zachbrowning

zachbrowning Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did alright for a couple months on an Impulse. It definitely struggled a bit on some of the passes, but so did the Enfield that was accompanying me.

As far as buying a bike, bikes are cheaper in India than in Nepal (huge import duty in Nepal). However, if you plan to buy in India and sell in Nepal, you'll have to pay the import. Otherwise, you can just pay a fee to ride the Indian bike in Nepal if you'll be taking it back to India at the end. At least that's how it's supposed to work, as for reality, who knows? It's India!
  9. theironhorse

theironhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:

no ladakh for me this year as i am covering mostly south india in bits and pieces. say a 1000 mile trip each month and being a "cager" in car with family..lol.. however next year will be doing north-east sikkim -arunanchal-bhutan. i am in hyderabad and have done ladakh circuit cpl of time. PM me will send you my contact. for any emergency or any help you folks needs in india or during your ladakh trip. can help you withj routes and places to stay etc.
  10. varunwarrier

varunwarrier cUjO

Oddometer:
  11. Daimon

Daimon n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey dudes, dunno your whereabouts.. I'm currently in Srinagar Kashmir, looking at getting a bike in the next few days to head to Leh then onwards to Manali. Keen to meet up with fellow riders if around. Please don't hesitate to msg me on FB, Daimon Ewart.