1. eNewsletter Sign Up

LADAKH: Rented motorcycles from outside LEH banned in 'Ladakh'

Discussion in 'Asia' started by kiwial, Jun 13, 2016.

1. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    http://www.bcmtouring.com/forums/th...rom-outside-leh-banned-in-ladakh.58624/page-8

The 'short' of it is:

With a rented bike from MANALI or DELHI you can ride into LEH but not to many of the tourist destinations around LEH (Nubra/Pangong/Tso Moriri...).

You will have to rent another bike IN LEH to be able to go to those destinations.

Some rental companies (Manali/Delhi) only charge you half the daily rental price for the time you hired the LEH bike.

The restriction ONLY applies for 'around LEH' and not for the LEH-MANALI or SRINAGAR-LEH road and not for ZANSKAR and SPITI !
    Panny and transcend_traveller like this.
  2. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Here's the dope from a guy who just there. I rode to Nubra, Shyok and Pangong from Leh just 2 months ago. I was on my new Enfield purchased in Delhi with white plates but not registered in my name. I was never stopped and asked for my registration papers, nor were any of the other bikers I talked to. The local taxi mafia is behind all this trouble and they are concerned with cars, not bikes. Total bullshit and totally illegal to the best of my knowledge.

I was stopped entering Kashmir on the way to Srinigar and asked for my ID papers by a couple of guys in civvy clothes "Fuck off" I said....." I only show my papers to Police or Military". He replied he was police and I did not show my papers until he produced valid police ID. I recommend anybody do the same thing.
    smithpa68 and Shivanshu like this.
  3. kiwial

kiwial Allweatherrider

Oddometer:
    http://devilonwheels.com/india/ladakh-zanskar-travel-guides/ladakh-bike-rental-rates-2014-t954.html
    Quote:
    ..."Ladakh 2016-17 season. The rule will remain same that no outside rental bikes allowed to go over for sightseeing to Nubra Valley and Pangong Tso and the plans are to make the rules stricter with installation of more checkposts at all main tourist locations...Last edited by dheerajsharma14 on Sun May 01, 2016"

http://www.bikerentalsmanali.com/rentals/conditions/#sthash.HhinbjbU.mBeh1xlY.dpbs
    Quote:
    "As Per New Rule ( Gundagardi ), we would like to inform you that due to recent developments in Ladakh, Non local bikes MIGHT not be allowed to run in Ladakh. So once in Leh, irrespective of where you hire the bikes from, you might have to change bikes.. Also if you are riding your own bike, Please make sure that its on your name as they might question you to prove that you are the owner or the Bike."

http://devilonwheels.com/india/lada...side-rented-bikes-banned-ladakh-t1009-90.html
    Quote:
    "...about using outside rented bikes in leh - i had no problem whatsoever using jk01(srinagar reg) bike in leh, nubra and pangong. If u are s or small group, then dont think at all. However, i saw few being stopped travelling to pangong in big groups and using own/outside bikes."

So the tourist season is in full swing in Ladakh and my view is now that the whole "Banning of bikes from outside Leh" was a bluff to stop mainly Motorcycle Tour Companies (from outside Leh) doing (taking) buisiness in Ladakh. There MIGHT be occasional checks on the mentioned routes but not every day and then the rule MIGHT not be enforced for privately rented bikes.
    Minor 'panic' over.

Panny likes this.
  4. chiyaanchinnu

chiyaanchinnu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was there in Leh/Ladakh region for 10 days. Nobody has asked me to show the motorcycle registration papers or my license card. They might stop only if you're a foreigner.
  5. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:

LOL....I know this routine all too well. lived in Chandigarh for 2 years. Me and Swiss mate got stopped once by the coppers (first and only time that ever happened in town the whole time I was there)....They asked to see ours ID's but having just come from a impromptu football match with some other mates, I could not produce....my Swiss friend however pulled his ID out....copper went to grab it from him, but mate wouldn't let go...simply told him (in the most Swiss way possible) that he could "see" it....but he wasn't going to let him have it. LMAO! I almost fell out of the car i was laughing so hard. Coppers finally just told us to piss off. ;) India....