Ladakh travel question

Discussion in 'Asia' started by MikeB, Feb 9, 2005.

1. MikeB

MikeB Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer:
    I Googled for discussion groups on this, but no luck. Maybe somebody in this well-travelled fraternity can help me. Need to know if public or private (i.e., taxis, cars for hire, etc) transportation is available out of Leh to visit nearby monasteries such as Lamayuru, Hemis, etc. Alternatively, if someone has had a good experience with a tour company in that area I'd like to know that. adventure riding angle? Hmmm...I'll take some pics of local riders.
  2. Phloodpants

Phloodpants Freelance subversive

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I visited some monastaries near Leh when I was there last year. I had an Enfield Bullet of my own, so I never needed a taxi or tour bus. Most of the interesting destinations around Leh are no more than a short and pleasant ride away. The roads are relatively good as well.

You can hire a taxi for the day and the driver will simply wait for you. I never had to do this myself because of the motorcycle, but I hear it's around $20 per day.

You might be able to rent a motorcycle. It would probably only be a 100 or 125cc Honda or Bajaj, but they're pretty fun actually.

There are lots of tour companies right downtown as well. The entire downtown area is about four blocks long, so you won't get lost trying to find one. If you stay in one of the backpacker hotels, just ask around. Your hotel manager probably has a cousin that runs tours, so asking him may give mixed results.

Don't miss the Shanti stupa right outside town. There is an enourmous platform surrounding the stupa itself, and from it you can see the whole valley. The contrast between the high and dry desert and the green irrigated Leh valley is stunning. You feel like you're flying.

Well, like most things in India, you should really just wing it. It'll work out. Shanti shanti...
  3. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
  4. cbxtc6

cbxtc6 On my Way...

Oddometer:
  5. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    here is the Shanti Stupa...........

[​IMG]

and the view of Leh from the Stupa......

[​IMG]

When we were in Leh ( 2000 ) there was at least one bike rental place with Bullet 350's.
    We rode seven Bullet 500's to Leh from Manali in the south. Great trip. Report is here
  6. MikeB

MikeB Retired bureaucrat

Oddometer:
    Tree, great report and photo essay. Thanks. It answered a lot of my questions and now I only have to curb my enthusiasm until this summer. I'll probably look into a Bullet rental for Kardung La, since I don't think my wife will be interested in that adventure. When we were in Bolivia she usually got a splitting headache at about 15,000 feet, even though we were living in La Paz at the time. My principal concern about visiting this summer is that a lot of travellers will be displaced from Nepal because of the troubles there and will fetch up in Ladakh, but that could change.
  7. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    I hope they do because the economy in Leh must have taken a kicking after 9/11 . Have a great trip, PM me if you have any questions.
  8. mujiburrahman

mujiburrahman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The information which has expanded through this thread is very useful :)

Thanks for the info and replies. Makes me want to ride across india :)

Cheers