Ladies who like to ride big.....bikes...

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by jbski, Aug 8, 2019.

1. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am a short guy, I wonder if those boots would help me. I get a toenail down.
  2. jbski

jbski Adventurer

Oddometer:

Budget permitting, trading in the cb500x for the Ktm 790 Adventure this fall.

Had the chance to have the seat shaved down on the 790 I was using and that seemed to make a world of difference for the time I got to ride it. Can get one foot down comfortably now and realize that’s just what I’m going to be dealing with.
  3. jbski

jbski Adventurer

Oddometer:

Had the same boots and they definitely helped. Not sure why I sold them....lol
  4. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    The toe box of these boots gives about 1.25" lift. These boots are extremely well made, but they aren't cheap. (But, just like everything in motorcycledom, if it's expensive, it's probably worth it...)
  5. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zia - can you come show me!! I've watched all the videos and I just can't get it!! I always feel it in my back. I've managed to make it to 53 without hurting my back, so I just always go looking for help, but it worries me to get stuck without help eventually.
    ZiaThunder likes this.
  6. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the suggestions!! I'm going to check out the boots. I'm 5'6" and have had both of my bikes lowered b/c, while I can tippy toe, as a new rider, it does feel very much like a safety issue, risking dropping the bike on me all the time.
  7. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    I used to worry more about falling over with the street bikes, until I spent a LOT of time falling over in the dirt with the lil dirt bike. Now, I don't give it another thought.

Not sure if the link will work, but I thought I'd try it. It's a video I made with Luis around thanksgiving about how to pick up a bike.

It's about using your legs and getting a place to put your hands that aren't forcing you into a strange position. I've had to get straps that allow me to grab hold of the bike. There are a number of ADV bike courses they pretty much all show you how to pick up the bikes. The other thing to note, is that bikes which are flat when they fall over are harder to pick up. If you can get them so the wheels are down a bit it makes it easier.
    RayT and mitchxout like this.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Lifting, put a glove on the front brake lever to lock the front wheel?

And if you fall over on flat ground you need more training in how to ride.

My last fall over was on a steep gravel mountain road. No traction for my feet. No room to turn the bike. And I am a five foot six old guy. I also had a fractured arm because of the fall. I rode out of the bush to the hospital with one hand basically.
    RayT and mitchxout like this.
  9. RayT

RayT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zia - The strap idea is something I haven't heard before - I have such a tough time getting ahold of anything on my bike that I"m crunched over. And, I think my problem may be that I'm trying to lift up instead of walk it back. Going back at it!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
    davenowherejones likes this.
  10. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    When lifting a bike, and there is nowhere to get purchase for your recovery gear, it helps to unload the thing.
    RayT likes this.
  11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I am a guy, with stubby little legs. Like a 28" inseam.

My ex girl friend, at 5' had legs that were 2" longer then mine.

My wife at 5'7" and a 32" inseam she rides.
    Currently her stable of bikes is
    R80 BMW Airhead.
    CRF230F Honda dirt bike
    Ducati Hypermotard 1100s

I wish I had her legs, she wishes she could ride in my boots. As we fit bike feet wise just about the same.

She has also owned a VStrom, XR650L, stock and with lowered suspension and 17" wheels, GB500, SV650, SecaII,
    She rides just about anything. But she is not a fan of big cruisers and customs. She's ridden a road king and dyna superglide sport amount others.

She tweaked he ankle and that put her off tall bikes for a while, but she's looking at them again. There's a lot to like about them. But in the same vein she is also looking at something that will be more comfortable for her to take the kid on, and looks cool to her, more of a traditional bike. But she is worried that the performance will not live up to the Ducks performance that 1100s dual spark engine is a nice engine. (When the fuel injection is working right)

A big help for her with big bikes was taking some off road training and working on her slow speed work. That powered up her confidence level and made it easier for her riding tall bikes slowly.

She doesn't like adult suspension a
    But she boots with a slightly thicker sole. And has had a cut down seat on a bike or two. But much more likes her bikes to be stock, as long as they are comfortable.
  12. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 30" inseam. I comfortably ride an unlowered DR650.

Shave the seat. I did it to one of my DRs for my wife. I took it down almost 2". I also did the factory lowering, slid the forks, and installed adjustable links. An adjustable sidestand makes it possible to now take the DR's seat height below 30" if I want to, being mindful of tire clearance when the suspension fully compresses.

If you want more power than a CB500X, also consider the Tenere 700, Tiger 800/900, or similar.
  13. Johnny Kilo

Johnny Kilo Sumbeotch

Oddometer:
    My GF is 5'7" and rides a KLR 650 with a seat concepts "low" seat. She can get balls of her feet down. She also rides my KTM 250XCW and YZ250F but is not fully comfortable getting one foot down by sliding to one side of the seat. It is ok at the MX track but on trail where you might have to pick a side deliberately gets sketchy....

Edited for clarity: My 800GS she doesn't particularly like. The pick a side and slide to the edge of the seat to get one foot is uncomfortable since it is a heavyish bike and she dropped it in a parking lot once early in the game.

John
  14. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I test rode a 1250 gs this fall and it wasn’t so much the height as the weight and overall size of the bike I didn’t like. It felt so easy to drop.