Ladies Who Ride the Dirt

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Phoenix101, May 11, 2020.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi:

I have a gear head 16 year old granddaughter who is very much into riding in the dirt (Honda CRF 230)

She is a fit, thin kid and rides over her head from time to time until she get a lesson from gravity.

She is challenged to find gear that fits her properly. We decided to toss her current chest plate, neck protector and start over with something that fits and protects her and shoulders and elbows.

Asking for advice and recommendations. Thanks Mike
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    California/Panama-can't get to Panama-damn virus
    Some details might help, like how do things not fit.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  3. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm no lady, but a compression suit such as one the the Leatt offerings might do the job for her? I imagine that my anatomy would interfere with fitment more than that of an athletic and slim young woman. I've got a barrel chest and some man tits that I'm not proud of, but really like my 3DF Airfit Lite. The protection sits in the right places for me and doesn't flap around while riding like other armor that I've used. I'll probably switch to the non-lite models whenever I find the right deal and have some disposable cash at the same time.

Did a quick google search and found this website that is having a sale:
    https://www.motocard.com/en/protect...2NrlNGBBvWOQTlAO-3aho35uC_8RccBhoCHkUQAvD_BwE
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  4. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    the neck brace she tells us pushes her helmet forward... chest protector fits "okay" but she is saying she needs shoulder and elbow protection... She wears motorcycle boots but bangs up her knees too so protection there would be good too.

My wife says the child is size 0 but again she is into staying fit.

Looking for places she could shop for items that fit women...
  5. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another quick search around, and the unfortunate result is that it doesn't look like there is an abundance of safety gear specifically tailored to women. here's an example: https://www.revzilla.com/motocross-womens-protection

only 5 products in the results, pretty dismal. The best bet may be not to worry so much if something says "women's" on it, and in reality aside from potentially the chest area and actual riding gear such as pants and jersey it doesn't matter. Elbows and knees? That anatomy is going to be the same, and if she's a size zero she would probably be the smallest sizes available. The trouble with elbow pads is that they have a tendency to migrate when riding if not fixed in place some way, which is why some people prefer the compression suit type armor. Definitely plenty of options there. Knee protection is easier since moto boots help a lot with keeping them in place. Again, many options out there that are probably all available in a size small. Another perk is that many times you can often find smaller sizes on closeout for great savings, since most people who ride tend to have larger, muscular legs. Knee pads are not just for protection in a fall, but will help her greatly in using her knees to grip the tank/frame to help control the bike. This is what I use for knee protection and would purchase again:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/body-arm...plMOiZkIn8ESMZ6WCu5_7T669Y_UFApBoCqRkQAvD_BwE

If she would like extra protection, there is a version with extended shin protection:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/body-arm...LudJeTB5ktHBofF8YKJVsrATLUi0LK1xoC0QgQAvD_BwE

After beating my shin to hell after a crash, personally I'd strongly consider these to replace the other version. But the level of protection is completely up to what she is comfortable with, and if she isn't currently using anything then literally anything would be better. If it is worth anything to her, I'm only 27 and have some aches and pains most people don't experience until they're older... I wish that I had done more to preserve my body as a teenager.

Regarding the neck brace pushing the helmet, is it hurting her or affecting her visibility? Most protection is going to have drawbacks, such as being hotter to wear or hindering movement. These are tradeoffs you make for better protection, but a waste of money if the gear is so uncomfortable for the user that it's unbearable and they stop wearing it. If the neck brace problem is a real issue and not just an inconvenience, it might be worthwhile to stick with the same brand of helmet and neck brace as they are typically designed to be compatible. Unfortunately, I have little to offer regarding neck braces as I personally have no experience with them.

Getting gear that works often includes some trial and error. The beautiful thing about shopping online is that most larger retailers make returns very simple, sometimes docking your refund something along the lines of $6 for return shipping and other times nothing at all if you're resizing. You could also order several items at once, pick a favorite, and return the rest; retailers discourage this because due to higher shipping costs but it is a solution if you are in a hurry.

I hope this is at least a little helpful, even though I have nothing to do with your granddaughter I would like her to have good protection!
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  6. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  7. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    California/Panama-can't get to Panama-damn virus
    I posted the name and location of your thread in the Women's Forum.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  8. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    thank you everyone I will share these links with her...
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Leatt pressure suit top, I like it because of the stretch it has some adjustability.
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  10. rihaha

rihaha Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure what stores are all in your area so hard to say where she could actually try items on. Trying items on before purchase before buying makes it so much easier. Someone already mentioned Revzilla but I also get gear from Bob's Cycle and Dennis Kirk. Bob's and Dennis Kirt are MN companies which is nice because they have retail stores. I think Dennis Kirk has free returns on apparel so that may help if you can't find a store. One of the local dealers carries a decent selection of dirt gear while the other only has a few things. I would try dealers in your area, specially the ones that handle dirt bikes and ATVs.

As for gear I have a Fox Titan Sport Jacket that has the elbow and shoulder pads built in and also has a kidney belt. I liked it but I also wear padded shorts and the tail bone protector on the vest would catch on my shorts causing the jacket to ride up. The other issues is that I felt it was better warn under a jersey so I went with larger sizes that made me look like a linebacker. My current chest protector is a Troy Lee design BG5955 with upper arm protectors. I use Leatt Air Pro elbow guards. They have a silicone band to help keep them in place. I wear a base layer and put the elbow pads over the base layer and they seem to stay put. I got a Fox Titan Kidney belt since my chest protector doesn't have one. Not sure if it does much but makes me look slimmer at least :D I like the Dainese Hard Shorts and use Leatt Z-frame knee braces. I do not have a neck brace as they cost quite a bit and it hinders my ability to turn my head. I think Fox makes a chest protector for women that gives a little bit more room in the chest.

Not the most flattering photos but here is the Fox Titan Sport Jacket, Dainese Hard Shorts and Leatt Z braces IMG_5103.JPG
    Back side shot of jacket
    IMG_5119.JPG
    With jersey and pants on. I have Alpinestars Tech 7 boots and Five RS3 Replica gloves.
    IMG_6277.JPG
    And my current set up, elbow guards are under the jersey so they are not visible
    IMG_9456.JPG

Attached Files:

Baroquenride likes this.
  11. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Try other sports protective gear: downhill mountain biking, soccer, etc
  12. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found shopping for gear for the GF to be almost impossible. Sizes very wildly and the more fit you are the more difficult.

RMATV has a return policy that you should feel bad about. Look at a size chart and return it if it doesn’t fit. It’s a time consuming PITA.