Lake Lanier sure is dry... (short ride report from Georgia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flux_capacitor, Nov 1, 2008.

1. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good report, nice history at the end, shame the lake is so low with little chance of getting full again:eek1
  2. Britriderinutah

Britriderinutah stillanoob

Oddometer:
    I used to live in Georgia and have fished and gone scuba Diving In Lanier, some monstous catfish down by the Dam, the visibility was bad but did manage to dive a wrecked house boat there once along time ago , I did not know about the racetrack, but I did know there was a road or two underwater. I miss the sweet tea but not the humidity, Thanks for the report, there are some unique places in North Ga and some great riding too. Cool report looking forward to more.
  3. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:
    What a cool story. Thanks for spending the time to do the research and educating all of us.

Nicely done my brother. :thumb Nicely done…:nod

4. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Wow! I grew up on that lake. Very amazing to believe that it looks like that now... :cry
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the good comments.

There are many local stories about huge catfish by the dam. The most infamous of which was that a chicken bus ('round here the chicken industry is huge and they tote them around in converted school buses much of the time) full of chickens went over the edge and the chickens drowned. Nowadays scuba divers report catfish swimming around down there big enough to swallow a chicken whole! :eek1 Noodling, anyone? :lol3

Kinda sick but funny thing about those buses... once in awhile you'll be driving down the road and see a dead chicken. You just know somehow that poor bastard suddenly found himself free of the bus-prison, made a jump for it, then BAM gets nailed by a car. Oh well, there are fates worse than that waiting at the chicken farm! :D
  6. dentedvw

dentedvw Where did I put that

Oddometer:
    wow, great pics, and interesting info. Hoping for rain for you. :norton
  7. Stan Dalone

Stan Dalone Where ever I go, there I am!

Oddometer:
    Its pretty amazing to see a reservoir that supplies drinking water with docks and lake houses. Up here in the Northeast, we hide ours behing fences and dont let anyone near them with a boat of ANY sort, not even row boats. You cant fish in them, you cant play in them, heck, ya might even get in trouble if you look at them to long:freaky

Sure hope the skies open up and it fills back up soon. I was in Braselton a few months ago and took a ride over by the dam, dam it was low.:lol3
  8. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Dang....I did not realize Lanier was still so low! :eek1

Our lakes here have been pretty much back to full pond since last winter.

Wow vegetables in the bleachers...
    :dealthat's still pretty much the norm at every NASCAR race I've ever been to....and I've been to a lot of 'em. :lol3

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=1435668425265852269&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
  9. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Banjo, man, you have a pic or vid for EVERYTHING... I am convinced of it now! :lol3
  10. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's really ironic that Lanier remains so low while just 85 miles south, Lake Sinclair has been at full pool pretty much all this year. But they are in different watersheds with Lanier feeding the Gulf and Sinclair ultimately feeding into the Atlantic.

You wouldn't think that would make a difference unless the rainfall patterns have aligned with the watersheds in some weird way.
  11. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    The thing about Lake Lanier is that it provides water to FL and AL. Because of some sort of 'endangered' fresh water mussel in FL, the Army Corps of Engineers is required to release 'x' amount of water to keep the river level at a certain height which was deemed appropriate for the survival of the mussels. So, while many surrounding lakes are close to full pool, Lanier struggles to survive. The mussels have been classified as more important than the economy, property values, and livlihoods of much of North GA. :huh There are battles now as to who even has the RIGHTS to the water. What the courts are saying is that GA owns the reservoir but not the water IN the reservoir. I do not know if I mentioned this already or not, but GA is so desperate for water that we are now revisiting some 'misplaced' boundaries with the state of TN. Apparently years ago the boundary was incorrectly measured and should have been one mile north which puts the GA line at the Tennessee River... it's crazy but the state of GA is actually trying to get the line redrawn! :eek1
  12. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    You fuckers keep your grubby hands off our water! :rofl

Kidding man. Great report. I remember the stories from last summer when they were counting the days until Lanier was dry and Atlanta ran out of water. Then it started raining a little and the story went away. Apparently the problem didn't.
  13. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

You know firsthand, dude, when the media is the one causing the panic to begin with... when they find something else to freak out about, everyone seems to forget the last problem. :norton

Oh yeah, I peed in the river today... enjoy that ice water now, ya hear? :lol3
  14. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    Nice job Flux!:clap Looks like you need to do a tribal rain dance or sumthun. OR, you need to fire up some sort of FLUX CAPICITOR :deal that produces an atmospheric H2O imbalance creating high humiditric cloud burst :huh . just sayin

Monte
  15. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:

Uh... yeah dude. :eek1 :lol3 When you comin' back here? We're having a DOG field trip in Tellico this weekend. Come on out!!! :ricky
  16. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite Flux, I'll try and make it! but don't wait for me if ya got things to do:rofl . This weekend I will once again ride the Jornado del Muerto-journey of the dead man(rockies forum) in New Mexico. The Montecello box, Mt Withington, and the GAP. Should be a hoot:wink: You tell all the DOGS to behave sit, stay. And be sure to tell everyone HELLO and when everyone is on their last beverage for the evening, you must all have one more for me:1drink . When ya headen this way!!
    Monte
  17. musicman

musicman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And a postscript- Thanks to a whole lot of rain this spring, Lake Lanier is nearly full again. All that history that Flux showed us is under the water again. thanks for capturing the moment.
  18. flux_capacitor

Oddometer:
    Musicman is right. We have had a wet summer this year, thankfully.

Here is a pic I posted earlier of the lake:
    [​IMG]

And here it is a few days ago. Same location, just a little to the right from before, if you can believe this!
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the lake has regained a bunch more water but we are still too low for several of the docks to get wet again. I'm tempted to walk across this old road now to see how deep it is. It could be the ULTIMATE water crossing. :lol3
  19. Wreck™

Wreck™ Wreck™

Oddometer:
    Not in New Jersey anyway, there is alot of fishing in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Valley_Reservoir
  20. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully the rains will keep comming.