Lake Nipigon Over the Top?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lappeman, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    This thread always reminds me of our aborted attempt to get into White Otter Castle...we ended up spending a few hours getting the bike turned around and out of a peat bog! It didn't look bad going in..one of the guys finally got pissed off, and dragged his bike out on it's side cases.The two bikes in the distance were NOT on side stands!!

[​IMG]
  2. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta love trying to ride on a winter road in the summer:huh If we don't have to much snow sometimes you can get through in the early spring when the frost is still in the ground.
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    How far can you make it up the Canol Heritage Trail?
    Can you make it around Lake Nippigon?
    Who will be the first to try the hydro line up on the Trans Taiga?

Not too many rides left where you get to ride into "the unknown"...I'm looking forward to giving this one a shot. We're thinking east to west and we'll be loaded with camping gear and will go as far as conditions allow :thumb

Will we make it? Based on your feedback and local knowledge it sounds like mother nature may be the deciding factor........here's hoping to a dry summer :clap
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    No need Gord, I'll be bringing some friends along who loves pushing-dragging-fixing bikes.........what are you up to next summer :rofl

We will be up in your neck of the woods though, maybe join us for a ride or a cold one :thumb
  5. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    :1drink :thumb
  6. canuckAME

Oddometer:
    If anyone can tell me how to transfer a map from Garmin Map source to here I could show you part of the route ( the wet part )
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    You should be able to upload it as a gpx file, Chuck.
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    CanuckAME, and Old Fart at PLay can probably give you quite a few tracks in the Thunder Bay area.

HecktoGlider can give you many good ones for Shabaqua South, and off the Bending Lake road through Atikokan.
  9. canuckAME

Oddometer:
    Try this

Attached Files:

10. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
  11. tacoluv

tacoluv n00b

Oddometer:
    After an aborted attempt the year before, a group of 4 off road trucks (4 land Rovers and an excellent Tacoma) made it around Nipigon late August , 2016. This was a great adventure that took less than 3 days after leaving Armstrong. Chainsaw work, bridge building, and a river crossing were all involved.
    cmattina likes this.
  12. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Got a link to any photos, blogs, etc?
    Would enjoy reading more about this - thanks.
  13. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Ya, what he said^^^^^
  14. tacoluv

tacoluv n00b

Oddometer:
    I posted this trip as I ran across your forum and wanted to encourage some future adventure riders to make this trip . I was not the trip planner or mapping guy so I don't have route exactly. By intention it was not posted on Expedition Portal or even on our groups Midwest Overland Society site. Basically didn't want a lot a trucks out mucking up the place, limiting to those who research and think long and hard about how to get through. There is only one river crossing on this route and it was kind of dramatic for trucks but large beaver dam next to the former bridge location would have been a walk across for cycles.
    Happy riding,
    Tom

Attached Files:

15. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any possibility you could post the GPS coordinates of this beaver dam and former bridge? I think I’ve pieced together a route from a number of sources, and if this gap is the one I think it is, I think I see a way through. This may be a good ride for 2021 after I do Gouin Reservoir this year, and Lake Weagamow next year.
  16. tacoluv

tacoluv n00b

Oddometer:
    John this is a great trip. I will contact the great one who leads these orgasmic north woods trail rides.
  17. tacoluv

tacoluv n00b

Oddometer:
    Out of respect for the trip planner and participants (Land Rover guys who let a Toyota owner and wife come along), I cannot name places or describe the route more. I did do some research and looked at satellite imagery this weekend and the route is clear as forest trails only used once every in 10 years can be. As someone mentioned water levels are critical - there must be some gauging station data available to judge if a trip is possible.
    I hope someone will report that this deed was done this year if possible.
  18. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny. I just started a new thread with almost exactly the same title. Oops.

Does anybody on this thread have any updated info on this area? I see a lot of relatively event chatter about Ombabika on an “I’ve been everywhere man” thread. But what about making the connection between Ombabika or Auden over to Armstrong. Does anybody have any updated info? A couple buddies and I are looking into this area for a ride this summer. Looks intriguing, but also looks impossible without some rail running on live tracks. Maybe something’s changed?