Lake Siskiyou, CA ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by SkiBumBrian, May 13, 2012.

1. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    I want to thank everyone who contributed to the cause. A special thanks goes out to Steve for his time scouting the route and putting together the roll charts. Another big thanks to those of you who generously donated funds to offset the costs of the rally, it is highly appreciated.
    I am waiting to get links from you guys who took pictures so I can put together a nice slideshow/video montage of our inaugural ride..... It was awesome!
  2. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Brian, I took lots of pics, just want the others so I can put them all together.......
  3. redog1

redog1 KTM 690R

Oddometer:
    I knew you had some video but this made me think you had no pics, "The lost sheep return.... (OK, so I got ONE riding picture)..." :huh
    My bad.
  4. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great times at the Lake Siskiyou, Ca ride.
    We did it, sorry if you missed it.

Well Brian pulled off a great weekend, He put a lot of effort into this and it showed.
    Everyone showed up with good equipment and had good riding skills. We had no bike issues.
    I was a little apprehensive about meeting random people and heading into the back country and spending the weekend baby sitting. everyone was quite capable and very pleasant.
    Things ran very smoothly, The alley cat dad had our Saturday ride very well planned with roll charts and rode sweep.
    We had very little waiting for riders as we set a fairly quick pace. I was happy with the loop style riding and the loops were one's that I had wanted to do and had not yet got too.
    It was Smokey, but with our pace it was probably good as I needed to watch the road anyway.
    Brian was quite the host bringing food and everything imaginable to make things great.
    Tri-tip cooked to perfection, oysters, salad everything done right.

As far as the people that showed up, Everyone was enjoyable. All the riders were respectable in camp as well as on the trail. what a treat in todays world.

Great weekend, Well Done.
    Hop-Sing
  5. Hop-Sing

Hop-Sing Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Thank Brian for setting this up, had a great time riding and meeting new people. Woke up to Sunday to a flat rear tire on my DR 350.

We rented out a tandem kayak at the resort and glad we did as we had thought about buying one......we both agreed that it is not our cup of tea and if we ever feel the urge to kayak again we will just lie down until the feeling passes:D

Gerry & Cristina
  7. redog1

redog1 KTM 690R

Oddometer:
  8. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    What, you thought I was kidding? :D

It was REALLY fun on the 990.

Glad you had fun, and yep, that's the spot.

Steve

9. Alleycatdad

Oddometer:
    That was mine. I didn't take a lot of pix since I was sweeping most of the day.

Steve
  10. K0ncept

K0ncept Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great camping spot along with great riding....I really need to move NORTH! All I seriously ever think about anymore is how can I get closer to the good riding and great mountains..
  11. cme4lyt

cme4lyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you who couldn't make this ride, this is why it's called Adventure Riding !

Arrived home yesterday afternoon after a slow ride back from the Mountains. Had a fun filled 4 days and met some great people too.

Brian, our QB for the event, had everything pretty well dialed in including us all eating oysters on Saturday nite !!! OMG, they were a treat. Campsite was pretty much perfect and we didn't need anything.

Major props to Steve who, as the local resident, kept us up to date with the local scenery plus mapped out some great rides...both slab and dirt.

For me, I couldn't have asked for much more. It was one of those spontaneous weekends when the planets all aligned and a bunch of guys on bikes just had a great time riding.

Thanks again everyone !!!
  12. RocknTroll

RocknTroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian,

Thanks for puttin this thing together, we had a great time even if we didn't go on the dirt ride.

Sometimes just a idea is enough to get you off the couch and riding, and that was a great idea you had.

Great meeting all you folks and hope to see ya again.

Erik
  13. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Here is a brief ride report, many have chimed in already with their own comments and pics, but since my video montage may be a few days in the works I will post some pics and just a quick rundown as a saw them...

Friday Hondahoser and I showed up about 11AM and glad they let us in early to set up shop.[​IMG]
    It wasn't long before bikes, trucks and haulers started making their way to the site.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was a bit smoky from the Ponderosa fire in Manton and other local fires but the temps were perfect.
    Alleycatdad's son was a little disappointed to miss all the fun because of a soccer game so Steve took his son and a few of the clan on a evening trip up the mountain to where the old ski bowl was, the highest you can drive up at about 8200 ft. Glenn,I, and others hung out in camp waiting for others to show up and get the party started.
    By the time the sun was set the group had made it back and we ate simple, just burgers, sausages, potato and mac salad, etc. Due to the smoke and possiblity of fires the CG had decided it was best to restrict campfires so we just cooked on the BBQ. We also had an inverter to provide some music and lighting, good thing without the ambiance of a crackling campfire.
    Saturday morning I was up early to cook breakfast so I started a fire (the ban was last night, right?) and scrambled up some breakfast burritos and those who needed their caffeine sipped on some Joe.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We headed out of camp at about 8:30 to meet Steve at the Shell station for a top off and it was the official starting point of the roll charts Steve had provided.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And we were off.
    In just a few town blocks we were on FS31 headed to circumnavigate the mystical mountain. Although the views were hazy our spirits were not dampened in the least. I was a bit concerned not knowing what kind of pace to set so I just kept an eye on my mirrors and used a bit of common sense. At the first intersection I asked about the pace and a got a concensus "just go!".[​IMG]

We made our way to the big bike/little bike split with a fairly good water crossing along the way (it came up on me so fast I took no pictures) and some great dual track riding.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is where it gets interesting. Since Alleycatdad had been through for the pre-run the FS had a bull dozer (or whatever) working in the forest and had "removed" the turn off for the little bikes so after some looking and discussion we decided to go with the GPS a couple of guys had mounted as the big bikes roared off toward Hwy97......
    After a few sand washes, sandy hill climbs and some head scratching we made our way to Hwy 97 just a few miles from where we were to meet the big bikes (which had been waiting for us for about an hour...) [​IMG]

So everyone was back together and Headed for the seathing metropolis of Weed, CA. The Pizza Factory was about the be invaded by a hoard of hungry dirt riders..... It was delicious!
    Now it was off to the second leg of our adventure, West of I-5 up into the Eddy mountain range via FS17, a twisty piece of asphalt that had many of us pushing the limits of our dirt oriented tires, grinning from ear to ear.....[​IMG]

The next turn was onto N45, heading through the Eddy's, toward Gumboot lake and camp. Once more we had no issues except I mistakenly thought I had overshot a waypoint but after being set straight we were once more on our way. We stopped a nice scenic spot (minus the smoke) for a group shot on the mountain.[​IMG]
    Man it has been a great day!!
    Now it felt like a barn sour horse, heading for home. Since Glenn knew where he was (we had run this a few weeks earlier) and LOVES to be out front he just took off and it was just a follow the leader back the the CG. The fact caused us to miss our planned side trip to Gumboot Lake but it will be there for next time......
    Most everyone packed up either Sat. night or was planning on leaving Sunday morning so the few of us that were left decided to go back up Everett Memorial Hwy, up the mountain on Sunday to check out the view... most of the smoke had blown out! Right on! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    We were awed by the views and some of the locals worshiping the mountain Gods...
    It was a wonderful time, great people, and a perfect start to a new annual rally!!:clap
  14. Alleycatdad

Oddometer:
    Brian, you gotta hit return after each pic...

S
  15. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Well, at least after the ones followed by text..... Tks Steve.:D
  16. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    The pics look awsome for riding! Well done! As usual no pics from ohooligan (Gerri) snicker snicker:D I did tell him to take pics but he dosnt listen
  17. PCC XR650L

PCC XR650L n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian,
    With this being my first group ride, You and the group were all very welcoming.
    I will absolutely look forward to any other rides you guys are involved with.

Brian and Steve,
    You guys did a great job leading us around that beautiful mountain.
    Regards
    Peter
  18. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    Peter,

I ride every weekend and am going to start scouting the Trinity Mtns between Junction City, Hayfork, and Hyampom for the next SoJ. Anytime you would like to go (I could always use the help) let me know and we can make a day or two out of it......
  19. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Maybe I missed it, but this should be advertised in the Pacific Northwet forum next year as well. Definitely plenty of us State of Jefferson folks that get lumped in with Washington and Portland and have a tough(er) time finding State of Jefferson events. Looks like it was a great event!
  20. SkiBumBrian

Oddometer:
    I will make sure next year I get it in the PNW forum.... Thanks for the heads up!!