Lake Superior Loop 10/21 to 10/25 or so: bad idea?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by doc moses, Oct 14, 2019.

1. doc moses

doc moses fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer:
    Go easy, its a serious question, I have vacation I have to use and an adult kid I want to visit in MM; I have done the homework. Is this a bad idea?

10-20 Ohio to Frankenmuth, michigan
    10-21 Frankenmuth to Wawa
    10-22 Wawa to Thunder Bay
    10-23 Tour Sleeping Giant and then south to Duluth
    10-24 Duluth to headwaters of Mississippi
    10-25 Headwaters to Minneapolis to see kid
    10-26 Far enough south to miss most of the nasty stuff and the rest isn't important

I read the forecasts and there is no freezing rain/ice snow predicted for those days, and I am passing the northernmost part of the trip mid-day. Blah blah.....I know weather changes, what do ya think?
  2. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we were there the last two weeks this September.. liked the color in the trees, lack of tourists, and no bugs! We will go back again some Fall... as long as old man winter does not show up go for it... but will defer to the locals.. might post in the midwest forum
  3. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you will be staying in a hotel as I don't think any camping is open. Roads might be slick from frost in the morning and it is starting to get dark early. Getting chilly to so make sure you layer up.
  4. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    The temps look not that bad. You will probably run into rain a couple of times. Most likely no camping available. Lots of deer!!!
    ( heated grips are a must!)
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as there is no snow and temperatures stay above freezing during the day it would be fine . It will be cold from The Soo to Duluth . Cold can be dealt with . What bike are you riding ?
    North Rider
  6. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the forecast is good, then go for it. It will be cold at times, for sure. Heated grips and vest as well as long johns would be "recommended". along with a balaclava even...

Touring sleeping giant and getting all the way to Duluth would be a long day. Perhaps your plan is to go from Wawa to Sleeping Giant? then you could spend the morning around Sleeping giant and then head to Duluth. PS. You can't really tour "around" sleeping giant on a motorcycle. But there are good little trails and look outs to get off at.

There might be some cabins at the park to rent... maybe a 2 day minimum though... not sure! It could be a pain to go to thunder bay and then back to sleeping giant.
  7. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Nipigon will be best option for a room, 30 minutes to Pass Lake and then onto the Giant.
    cmattina likes this.
  8. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say go for it!!!
    Plan on shorter days though.
    Later starts due to temps and possible frost.
    Earlier stops due to temps and shorter days.
    Keep us posted.
  9. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moose.
    Watch for the gigantic, dark near invisible bastards if you're on the road after sunset.
    Apart from that, enjoy the ride.