Lake Superior Loop 8/05

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by freeflow, Aug 22, 2005.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    well we went for a little ride over the weekend (the loop was 1406 miles for us...3 easy day ride)....weather was a bit agressive, but away we went...scroll down for the quality of the run

me on the GS...my gal on the KLR, and my last minute tag along buddy on his geiser glide HD....

departed Green Bay Wi about 3 pm thursday 8/18....northwest bound....and then the skies opened up...but one we rode....we thru winding northwoods wisconisn highways to Hurley and hung out...no rain pice...sorry....but ended up here....an interesting little town....many many bars...and strip clubs ont he border of da U. P. eh...

crap hotel and stubborn owner but with good location......PS great dinner at the Belle Chalet....

[​IMG]

on we rode....towards Duluth MN...on and off rain...welcome to Duluth...

[​IMG]

had to stop at the Aerostitch mothership.....and say hi...friendly folks....

[​IMG]

my bestest riding partner Shelly:rabia posing with the KLR by the old brick wall........ coincidence that we walk out of the store and the rain has stopped?..I think not,,,

[​IMG]

so north we head along hwy 61.....the north shore is cool...but fog fog delayed the views...
    [​IMG]

more tunnels...beep beep...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the fog is lifiting

[​IMG]

Grand MArais area...charming feel to the place...and not too many fudgesuckers

[​IMG]
  2. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    getting into some nice hills near Grand Portage....scenery getting better !..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well here comes the border.......zzzz..........

[​IMG]

got any firearms?...any booze?...and tobacco?....nope .......da man gonna get their tax on any of em...the KLR getting back to Canada....ran from Honduras to Canada borders....life is good...

[​IMG]

so we roll up to Thunder bay......depressed town.....seems to be struggling...and too many unhappy people it seemed to all of us.....no offense to anyone......we checked into the Prince arthur hotel and off to find some diner...no pics (WTF was I snoozing?)...PS great steakhouse called Prospector....2 thumbs up.....anyway...as we stopped and did a bike check, my harley buddy finds this is his rear tire....DOH!....to the cords
    [​IMG]

gonna find a tire in the morning.....
    the morning sun is out!...and we see this....

[​IMG]

impressive breakwater and harbor...

[​IMG]

so we called ahead to the local Harley dealer for my buddie's tire.....so they would be ready for a swap out...uh huh...okey dokey.....LOL..

we arrived as the mechanics are there...but parts "girl" isn;t there yet, she is just pulling in.....we are not talking a busy place here folks...

[​IMG]

"hmmm...lemme see...oh we have 2 tires....maybe we can fit you in this afternoon?"...pssst...we are travelling thru and would like to get going...."oh ok....well the mechanics are on coffee break, you'll have to wait 10 minutes or so to see if we can do it" (they just opened up)...I offer to tear the rear tire of where it sits to get the ball rolling....."that is not allowed on out lot"

[​IMG]

welcoem to Thunder Bya HArley folks....not what we expected...but and adventure
    [​IMG]

well....my gal and I left to go to Tim Horton;s for coffee and to get away...nothing more i can do....the tire might have made it....LOL...oh well new tire all mounted and everything....$400 can....uh huh $335 US....a deal.
    [​IMG]

oh well...let'd get rolling....as some scattered rain moves in....

we set off and ride up to Oiumet Canyon..up hwy 17/11 N of Thunder Bay.....worth a look ...the road in..

[​IMG]

the footbridge into the canyon rim.....bridge shot...nice laminated wood arch beams...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the canyon is coming

[​IMG]
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey FREEFLOW, :D

Great ride report. Nice pictures and please keep them coming.
    The center stand skid plate looks great on the bike. :D

Enjoy the ride.

Rick :D
  4. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    yes Rick...you centertand works great...I was amazed to see all the road spalsh that get's on it while rain riding....all the splash and mud that would've gotten all over the catalytic converter.....PS. nice packaging on the unit....I installed it just minutes before departure...a solid product

[​IMG]
  5. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    more...here is the Ouimet Canyon...light was a bit difficult for great pics....

PS: local tales of having to pull old cars out of the canyon....supposedly from mafia days and pushing people over the edge...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

rolling north...turning east at Nippigon onto hwy 17...PS 90km/hr speed limit...nobody obeys....130 mor elike it.. ....crossing the river

[​IMG]

hours of great roads...scattered clouds...rolling on...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    quality scenery for a ride....temps about 60 F

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    many talk abotu the bugs in Canada...not during mid august...cool temps drove em to sleep...
    [​IMG]

alot of wetlands, inner lakes.....
    [​IMG]
  6. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    more pics of the Canadian Shield geology

[​IMG]

the roads are quality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we rolled into Wawa....stopped here for a hotel...2 thumbs up...Lakeview Hotel..north side of town.....pub and food....and old style rooms...about $60 CDN/nt..
    [​IMG]

we saw many bikes....only one other GS...a few V and Weestroms...many harleys...few goldwingers....and in Wawa met this guy from Montreal on the Triumph...02...64K kms...loved his 98 and rolled over 110K kms.....heading to Edmonton...

[​IMG]
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    after a night stay in Wawa...time to blast home....GREAT ride from Wawa to Sault Saint MArie...Lake Superior Provincial PArk....nice stuff...

more sacattered clouds...typical for the area...this is the east end of Lake Superior....the largest fresh water lake in the wrold....blowing westerlies...8 am departure from Wawa....

[​IMG]

great beaches....but cold waters....if they could talk....alot of history..."old woman bay"

[​IMG]

nice plunger waves...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the road goes on and on.....and nice sweepers....low traffic.....well you get the idea

[​IMG]

time for some breakfast and hot coffee....this place was great..near Batchwana Bay....food shots coming....learned from Yffs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roll on down to Sault St MArie...

[​IMG]

the border bridge......

[​IMG]

and the US border station at Sault St marie....old school...
    [​IMG]

not many more pics....some roads we hit blasting thru the UP of michigan....

[​IMG]

a GREAT reccomended ride....easy for us.....but the north shore of Lake Superior is worth the ride....different, has some remote aspects to it....FYI gas was in excess of $3.50 per gallon....people overall friendly...scenery great...weather unpredictable....

go do it for something different...you could take a week and check out more of the side roads and camping....uh huh...this was a recon mission...

salud...the sun is about to set

[​IMG]
  8. RiverRat280

RiverRat280 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice pics, the missus and I are looking at doing this trip ourselves this year. We have some relatives in the UP to go visit.
  9. Bimble

Bimble In giro in moto

Oddometer:
    Wow, great trip Freeflow! That's a ride I've wanted to take for some time now. Thanks for the nudge.

:thumb
  10. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Nice report Jeff, looks like a good ride. If I ever get a bike that can handle road miles I'll have to think about doing that. Jim & Holly must have had to bail on ya eh?
    Thanks for the pics dude!
  11. Barracuda

Barracuda Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, I love how you called the US side of the border in the Soo "Old School". That's brand new!!! They just finished building it. Let's hope it's only temporary. Thanks for the pics, now I'm really missing home. Old Woman Bay is one of the beaches I grew up on, and those around it that you have to hike into that are far more scenic and private.

Glad you enjoyed our beautiful roads. All they need is a few more curves and some higher speed limits. Watch out for the Moose though.
  12. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    yeha alot of road...and we changed a bit to accomodate my harley buddy ...but he needed to ride....Jim & Holly couldn;t make it last minute....work(sucks)

yes indeed...this was a scouting run...I am heading back up there mid sept to get dirty
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    yes no Moose sightings...but alot of warning signs....yeha the beaches on Lake Superior rival bahamas.....but mucho colder ;)....a greta secret though..

for you others considering the ride...get gone already...a sleeper of a ride in the backyard kinda of thing....travelled the world to places...and finds right near home....
  14. MNwilly

MNwilly RIP, my friend...

Oddometer:
    Great pics. I haven't done that trip in a few years. I think it's time for another run.:thumb
  15. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    duplicate removed
  16. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics and read... it was great :thumb
  17. aj226

aj226 Sloth Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which roads did you take from Sault Ste. Marie back to the house?

Aj
  18. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    75 S...to M28 W...to 123S to Trout Lake to look at a project I have....then H40 across to US2 to Escanaba...then M35 (that's M turdy five eh)...to 41S...to 43S over tower drive bridge...to 57 N to 54 E...to CTH P....need I say more?
  19. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    oh thats a nice ride.....
  20. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and ride! :thumb