"Lamp" warning

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by IckyBob, Jul 30, 2015.

1. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    i recently installed a set of Denali D2 driving lights. They work in conjunction with my high beam switch. When I turn the key and the low beam is on the D2's are at 40% as per the instructions, when the high beam switch is engaged it goes to 100%. The lights are brilliant and very bright. I also have the switch installed to kill them completely.

The problem is this. If I haven't ridden the bike for a while, I turn the key start the bike and ride for a few hundred feet I get the "lamp" warning on the computer and it kills the D2's. When I stop for gas, re start and carry on everything is good and it works.

Anyone else experience this? Or have a clue as what it could be. It's a mild annoyance, by know means a show stopper.

Cheers.
  2. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    How old is your Battery? It sounds like the Canbus system is protecting the charging circuit by shutting down the Denalis. After youve ridden for a while the battery voltage is back up and voila it lets that circuit run again.
  3. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    Good point. It's 2 years old with only 11000km. I will check it with my multi meter. Never thought about the battery as it's pretty new and the D2 draw minimum power.
  4. 1or2Cylinder

1or2Cylinder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never see that problem yet with mine. Is the control box power connected directly to the battery or somewhere else? How are you triggering the Denali's to be on?
  5. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Unless you tapped into a Canbus controlled power supply, Canbus cannot shut them off. Does your headlight go out as well?
  6. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    They are tapped into the low beam wire as per the instructions. The headlight does not go out.
  7. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bob, I too have D2D's installed and mine work perfectly. When you say yours are tapped into the low beam "as per instructions" that doesn't make it really clear to me how you did it. The D2D's must be powered via a relay and the headlight connection is simply a trigger for the relay. If you did this wrong, I don't understand how they would work when the bike is regularly ridden versus when it's been left unridden for a while. And as Reaver said, Canbus cannot shut the lights off if you've connected the lights correctly.

8. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just looked over the installation instructions for the lights and really can't see what you might have done wrong. I did the same thing as the instructions show EXCEPT that I didn't connect directly to my battery for power. I have a fuzebox (can't remember the brand and I came to work by car today so can't check, but I THINK it was a Twisted Throttle product) which is connected to the battery over a relay and it has a trigger wire connected to the small bulb under the low beam headlight via the Twisted Throttle pigtail gadget.

Since you're in Canada as I am, come on over and we'll figure it out! :) :)
  9. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Mine have been fine wired as per the instructions.

Here's what I figure:

You start the bike and it notes the draw on the low beam circuit. The Denalis figure the voltage is too low (doubt it, it started ok and alt is working), or box is defective and shuts them off internally. Canbus realizes the draw is now less and says "hey, sumthin' burnt out, LAMP." Stop for gas and the D Box warms up or changes it's mind on restart and carries on. Only flaw with that theory is you can switch off the D's independantly and not get a LAMP.

So, find out if the D box has internal low voltage sensing or overload shut down features. When the D's go out, verify the headlight is still on then hit the high beam to see what the D's do. If the wiring is all correct and there are no intermittant shorts from the routing, then I'd say it was a bad D box. I know it's summer, but is the grip heat on? Canbus shuts them off at low voltages.

PS....did you wire it according to the French Instructions?

:hide
  10. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer: