Land Speed Racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Truckedup, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do any of you do it? Bonneville? Wilmington Ohio? El Mirage ? Loring Maine? Texas?
    I run this 650 Triumph at the one mile standing start track in Ohio. Currently the class record holder. I built the machine and a friend rides it

[​IMG]
  2. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    YO!

I don't race the salt, but have great respect for those who do..

Here in OZ we have the Lake Gairdner event, (and a bit of history between here and NZ, and UK..)

Having a few difficulties with the interdood at the moment, but if you go to the Australian section you will find a thread devoted to the salt. Also, gwoogly Worlds Fastest Velocette.. Now THAT is impressive!

Cheers! :1drink

Sorry! Forgot to mention I just luuuuurve that boike! If that's your taste, and you're prepared to stretch out over that, goodonya!
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  3. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Old friend of mine, Warner Riley on the left, Fed Ex airport Ohio<?, standing mile, helping some guys from Carl's in Daytona.

[​IMG]

Warner pushing out the Grey Ghost, he has 29 Land Speed Records himself I believe, George Smith (S&S) and him were the first to put nitro in a bike.

[​IMG]
    alpina, Pantah and Angry Pete like this.
  4. Truckedup

Truckedup Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the Grey Ghost is very successful. We're going up to Loring Maine this July. They have a mile and a half paved track...I think the Triumph will push close to 130 MPH..
    Achtung likes this.
  5. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We went to Maxton and Bonneville in '08 and '09 with a '55 BMW R50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a long hiatus from racing, we are planning to go to Wilmington for a couple of meets this year.
    alpina, Pantah and Angry Pete like this.
  6. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never done it but I did go to El Mirage last month to check it out. It was my first time experiencing a speed trials and I gotta say it was fricken awesome. I took a bunch of photos and I'm sure no one will mind if I leave some of them here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This Indian was FAST. If I recall correctly it ran around 145 in the 2 mile track. Not to mention a GORGEOUS machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have to it's certainly something that I could see having a go at some point. Looked like fun.
    koh kood, WIsixfitty, Pantah and 2 others like this.
  7. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
  8. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been going out to El Mirage the last couple of years. Like you Tim_Tom my first time watching was really impressive. The timed course in reallity is only 1 1/3 miles. I've been helping out with Lance Speed Racing. They run an old 175 Yamaha Enduro based bike and have broke 100mph with it. What is inpressive is the two guys on the Huyabusa's that clock 250mph+.
  9. mergatroyd

mergatroyd Loser

Oddometer:
    This will be my third year racing Ducatis on the salt (assuming there is a World of Speed event in September).

This was in preparation for last year on a piston-supercharged 500:

this was 2013 on a 749R

The plan is to take both this year.
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigger Al and BadgerDog like this.
  11. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    O.C.F.RIDER likes this.
  12. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    Going on about 4 years now that a buddy and me been discussing LSR. I used to live about an hour from Wilmington but never got the chance to make it down. Now I'm in MO and conveniently half a day away from OH and TX.

I've managed to acquire a 73 Honda CB750 that I was just going to get going for the road but lately I've been looking at it as my LSR candidate for Run Whatchya Brung at Bonneville. Our 2019 Chump racing plans got shattered as of 12:19EST 11/1/19 when the inaugural Indy race registration opened at midnight and immediately filled up 19 minutes later (we didn't have the required number of entrants). So, now we're looking to substitute and Bonneville is on our lists (with Baja 1000 next, lol). My buddy and I are gritty. We don't want to do well in one event/series. We just want to do them all at the grassroot level.
  13. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
    I’m at most El Mirage events. Heading out this Thursday for the weekend.

I support a few bikes. The most refined is a 350cc Aermachii. He has all the records in the 350cc pushrod class.

Just rebuilt motor as a 250cc for last meet and got the gas record. He’ll run fuel this weekend and we’ll see how he does.

Come say hi if you see us.

Attached Files:

14. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I once Went 56 MPH on a race prepped Whizzer , does that count ?
    Pantah and villageidiot like this.
  15. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill Warner holds the motorcycle land speed record of nearly 312 mph. That Al Lamb video really annoys me. Its feels disrespectful for them to imply they're the fastest motorcycle on earth, especially when this guy sacrificed it all to accomplish that feat.

[​IMG]
  16. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bill also holds the standing start 1-mile record at Loring (296) which he set on the morning he died in 2013.

I volunteer and race at Loring (since inaugural event in 2009). Fastest speeds are 201/206 set on my electric Hayabusa.
    Wa Ho Thuk and Achtung like this.
  17. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Salt has its own challenges and of course the timing is a one-mile average, but Bill's records are standing-start (speed averaged over 132 feet). Accelerating to these speeds on a "sit on" motorcycle is a different kind of challenge. The biggest issue is stopping. Loring has the longest shutdown but Blytheville (current home of the ECTA) is a pretty close second.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  18. Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been land speed racing for a long time now. El Mirage and Bonneville. El Mirage is fine but nothing beats Bonneville. I currently run a 540 cc Weslake speedway engine in my sidecar. Currently it holds five class records at Bonneville and two at El Mirage. I campaigned a 500 Weslake in my Norton for about 10 years before building the sidecar. Bonneville is one place everyone should visit in their lifetime. Spectating is fine but racing is so much better. The range oc bikes and cars is mind boggling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    motorhead748, Boxa, RedRocket and 8 others like this.
  19. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally agree on the visiting Bonneville, me and some friends drove out there in '08 and had a blast! I almost didn't go because of work commitments and at the last minute I blew off everything and went... I'm so glad I did because with the condition of the salt it feels like any year lately could be the last. When that happens we'll all need to drive to Bolivia to watch salt flat racing.
    https://www.rideapart.com/articles/254194/bolivia-is-the-new-bonneville/
  20. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Gasman_ADV and Wa Ho Thuk like this.