Land Speed Racing

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Truckedup, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool thread! Dang, I'd like to ride something like the OP's Trumpet or maybe a Guzzi! Sounds like a pretty romantic endeavor to build your own machine and try for a record in the salt. Well, just to even see what you can do!
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    + 1 :clap

:y0! As BOOTLACE posted earlier in his reply; there is a very avid land speed racing fraternity in Australia, that has a big following and make the annual pilgrimage to Lake Gairdner in South Australia. Many Australian and world record passes have been made there over the years, in various classes - both two wheels and four... everything from home made hot rods, to full blown streamers.

There is a group of inmates in the Oz forum that follow the sport religiously, I am sure you will find a few kidred spirits in there... here is a link to the upcoming 2020 meet at Lake Gairdner; :deal

https://advrider.com/f/threads/spee...monday-march-23-to-friday-march-27th.1406543/
  3. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    "El Mirage is fine but nothing beats Bonneville." Let me educate you.

"....we'll all need to drive to Bolivia to watch salt flat racing" You will need to fly or sail to Australia actually.

The finest salt racing venue on the face of the Earth is Lake Gairdner. 175 kilometres long and 50 kilometrs wide, the racing takes part in the south-western arm of the lake, using a 9-mile course (purely because no-one seems to require it longer) and if you need it you can get more. It is a 12 mile course for the World Record attempts.

Some of your countrymen have travelled over and enjoyed the venue, one of the truly high-speed cars is permanently based here already. We see increasing numbers of competitors from the USA each year for the last 3 years after a group came out for a look-see.

Check out this years thread, it also has a link to another thread regarding an inmates ride out to the venue.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/spee...monday-march-23-to-friday-march-27th.1406543/

I see some nice photos in here too. If you want to see some more, go to the Australian regional forum and search on Lake Gairdner and/or Speedweek and previous years threads will come up, and you can see the photos posted by the prolific Daley Picher.
    Achtung, Boxa and RedRocket like this.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:

Landspeed racing is about as extreme a sport as you can get. When it goes pear-shaped the results are scary and spectacular due to the forces and the speeds involved.
    The venue itself is extreme, the weather conditions can be ultra-extreme (the biggest challenge actually), the speed is extreme, the access remote, the facilities non-existent, and the accidents are extreme. But geez it's good fun.:clap

Here is a Australian Geograhic youtube video I found, that gives a pretty good account of the Lake Gairdner venue, and one particular record attempt;

I will post it up on the RACING forum Land Speed Racing thread - for their interest.

Cheers, have fun at the next "flat stick" get together 'Silla :thumbup :wave :1drink
    Bigger Al likes this.
  5. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Next year will be my 10th year attending Lake Gairdner, I hold 2 class records on my Lil RGV250.

P1120126.JPG

Dave
    busa1300, DC2wheels, klatelm and 9 others like this.
  6. tubebender

tubebender Shakin' all over

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^ That is so cool. Don't think I've ever seen that much fork above the top tree.

I hope you are doing a build thread on your next bike.
    Boxa likes this.
  7. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    B07A444C-650D-4ECE-8B30-B596A5D5A04D.jpeg
    tjzondrz, alpina, klatelm and 5 others like this.
  8. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Something Dutch ? Nimbus for the speed thrills. Supercharged for extra vigor.
    -E-, Boxa, Achtung and 6 others like this.
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Boxa, flei, GodSilla and 2 others like this.
  11. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Boxa and Achtung like this.
  12. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if they still race at Loring?
  13. geode

geode just a girl on a bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    They raced at Loring this year, and have announced they will race there in 2020.
  14. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It's less than a 7 hour ride from home. Maybe I need to see this in '20
    geode likes this.
  15. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you give us some more details on this bike or a link to read? Looks amazing.
    Boxa likes this.
  16. geode

geode just a girl on a bike Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's about 3 1/2 hours for me to get there. Over in Regionals / Flugistan there's a "Maine Riders" thread, and every year a bunch of those folks talk about heading up. The only down side to Loring is there's really only one way to get there, and it's a pretty boring ride up the slab and then a boring ride up Rt 1. The upside is the vast diversity in vehicles that show up to try their luck on the runway.
  17. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    The bike is/was a 1989 Suzuki RGV250. Its been through a cpl of life changes from a production bike to this MPS (Modified Partial Streamline) Produces around 70 RWHP @ 11500 rpm. Ive built or modified pretty much all of it to get it to this stage. Its got Yamaha 110 mm rods, Aprilia Mito pistons, the 2 weak spots in the RGV engine. It has run 140 MPH in the gas Class and 127 in the Fuel class, I havnt been able to get my head round Methanol tuning yet, just keep dribbling the pistons out the exhaust. Keihin 38mm pwk air striker carbs with home made chambers, TYGA fairing, modified off course. + lots of other stuff.
    My Wife of 40 years is my Pit Chief, we are a 2 person team pack the Van up each year and venture off for a week of camping/racing in the bush. The bike fits in the Van once all the fairings are stripped off.

Dave

20150322_183041.jpg
    busa1300, tjzondrz, L84dinr and 6 others like this.
  18. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Now thats a nice bike. I would love to get my hands on a T500.

Dave
  19. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sir are living right. Well done!
    Boxa likes this.
  20. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    alpina, Boxa and Jim K in PA like this.