Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd do it, at least a little, to protect myself. I try to be vigilant when stopped at the back of the queue, but prefer to filter forward at least a couple of cars. If the circumstances are unfavorable to a safe filter (big trucks, cars in bad positions, etc) I set myself up for lesser consequences if I were rear-ended.

Will AZ cops hassle you for stopping to one the side of the lane, where you're less likely to be hit by a phone drone? Even if you're hit, at least you're not going to be sandwiched.

Finally, I'd be calm, respectfully friendly, and honest with the officer if he stopped me. "Yes, I did it because it's safer. It seems like everyone is balls-deep in their phones these days, and I don't want to die at the back of the queue at the intersection." If he still cited me, I'd go to court and justify what I did. It's a matter of safety, for the same reasons. I might still be found guilty, but I'd try.
  2. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I lane-split here in Columbus occasionally when traffic is really bad and safe conditions at safe speed differences. On my old CH80 or the Grom especially. Often though, drivers are scattered randomly in their lanes which makes it less favorable on a larger bike. I definitely wouldn't go into the shoulder to split - road conditions are so crap here it's always full of dirt, rocks, debris, glass, trash, tires, sofas, etc. Drivers and road surfaces are so bad now I stopped bicycling in the city streets altogether.
    Filtering on the other hand, I don't do. People often stop ahead of the white line or on top of the crosswalk here, leaving no room. On top of that, as slow as they drive once moving, they love to tromp on the gass when the light turns green.
    As for legality, I've unintentionally split in front of hard-working officers of the law a few times and didn't start any parties. That said, if I see a hard-working officer of the law in advance I won't split around them.
  3. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Classy! :asshat
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's always been my experience with filtering too. If traffic is gridlocked It can be of real advantage, but under normal conditions its just trading one minor risk for another for little gain because stopping at the stop line is mostly ignored.

Saying "pigs" is kinda lame. Cops have a job to do that needs to be done because there are a lot of shitty drivers, and riders on the road. Unless we're one of those shitty riders, we're better off with them than without them.
    Traxx, Scoozi, sloryder and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hero of Moka

Hero of Moka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A thousand apologies! I come from a much rougher place than here. Let me correct myself.
  6. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I watched the Utah law being shaped and discussed. It's not ideal as, in theory, the moment traffic creeps forward, even at an extremely slow speed (1mph), you have to somehow fall back into line until it stops. If you take Australia as an example of where they have introduced Lane Filtering over recent years, you can filter legally in traffic up to 30kph. Anything over that and the law calls it Lane Splitting at which point the rider can be fined for Lane Splitting.
  7. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it once, sort of, here in Wisconsin. I got onto a road that was backed up for several miles. As I was on an R1200GS, I got off the road and shoulder entirely, into the grass before the ditch started. I stood on the pegs and rode 'off road' until I was in the clear. No one seemed to mind me riding on the grassy bit beyond the shoulder. Not sure what I would call it.
  8. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    ADV ride...

:hide
    Grestil and zouch like this.
  9. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I sold my 640 because it was way to easy to just hit the median/verge and just tear down whatever road it was......not always the way to endear yourself to the CHP :lol3 Apparently they don't like getting braaaaap'd
    Bt10 likes this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brings new meaning to "hitting on"
  11. sunbandit

sunbandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Splitting and filtering is a great way to save time if done right. There are plenty of people who do not acquire the skills to do that but simply believe that all it takes is unused space between vehicles. Education is key. Politeness is useful even during road rage incidents - don’t add to the problem. Regarding safety and it being risky, in my opinion that depends on many factors and is not simply black and white. You can get hit by a larger vehicle in a magnitude of ways without ever lane splitting. Understanding your position on the road and the position of other vehicles is one of those basic things that aren’t taught in MSF courses. It’s important to not push your own boundaries without understanding what you want to accomplish.
    MapleRoad likes this.
  12. Robblobber

Robblobber n00b

Oddometer:
    Reading this from a UK/Europe perspective it seems very strange that there is so much debate about Lane Splitting read Filtering in the UK.
    Filtering is business as usual here and in Europe and so far as I know legal accepted practice almost everywhere.
    AND predominantly car drivers respect the manoeuvrability of Bikes and give us space, usually moving over to let us pass either out on the open road if we are going faster or in a jam so we can filter through.

Generally is just good plain sense for all road users and ‘most’ people realise this, if the bikes go through it’s less space taken up in the jam.

The other contributory factor I think is most Europeans grow up with large and small urban bikes around them and usually get a scooter or small bike as their first vehicle so the ‘Bike’ Concept is just programmed into people’s heads.

We do get the odd selfish A that tries to block a lane but they enjoy being A’s so let them get on with it.

Keep on Filtering I say
    jamesmc likes this.
  13. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here, filtered in the UK and Europe for years. Now I'm based in BC, Canada it seems weird, to me at least, that other motorcyclists are debating the benefits of Lane Filtering. Especially when Lane Filtering is already in use globally in the likes of the European mainland, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and in one form or another; California, Utah and Hawaii. What's to debate?

https://www.facebook.com/lanefilterbc/
    neanderthal likes this.
  14. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Even here on ADVRider, there are people that are anti-lane sharing. Most are talking from a position of ignorance. Those of us that have seen the light (as it were) can't seem to convince the nay-sayers that it helps everyone.

One of these days, motos and bicycles are going to be just another form of transportation and not weekend toys. Once that happens, well...

M
    jamesmc and MrVvrroomm like this.
  15. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty simple, it's not ingrained in our driving culture, and people are resistant to change.

It doesn't help that we're not the European mainland, UK, ect. with their comparatively competent driving culture. We have a driving culture based on the lowest common denominator of driving ability, and vehicle condition with little accountability, and ruled by a sense of entitlement to do whatever we can get away with. In such a dysfunctional system where issues are typically addressed with more rules and regulations, removing restrictions is a hard sell.

As a motorcyclist I understand the benefits of splitting, and filtering, but as a realist I recognize there's way too many among us ready to ruin it for us, which is why we have to do without many nice things in the first place.
    pretbek, Luckycharms and liberpolly like this.
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I would do it regardless. Twice?
    Just keep a copy of the police reports on you when you ride, explain if you need to to the cop, if you get the ticket, take the ticket and give the same evidence to the judge.
    I split/ filter when i'm in Arizona if I need to.
  17. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    And, even having not done it, they have very strong opinions about it!

Many people were anti seat belts when they were first mandated, but now just about everybody buckles in when they get in the car.
    theregulator and davidji like this.
  18. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    100- 109*F according to the temperature readout on my bike today. Depending on when you looked at it. Heat index was even higher. Coming from Duncanville, TX (SW of Dallas) to McKinney, TX (NW of Dallas.) About a 40 mile ride.

You better believe I did. Errtime speeds dropped below 30mph, i flipped on my high beam and split between lanes 1 and 2. No arseholes. Some even moved left in the #1 lane to accommodate me. (Californians? :thumb) Gave them a wave when I could.
    Grestil and Luckycharms like this.
  19. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    i just got home from three days on long island... after living in san diego and filtering regularly, the absurdity of sitting in traffic while watching a light go through four cycles to move 100 meters was excruciating. i did lane split on the highway in stop and go traffic, no ugly encounters.

best regards,

johnnyg
    neanderthal and Luckycharms like this.
  20. jamesmc

jamesmc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yet somehow they now manage it in California and Utah with other states looking into it. Or is the feeling that California and Utah drivers are a cut above the rest when it comes to North American driving standards?

As with anywhere in the world.. introduce Lane Filtering and eventually the motoring public will get used to the idea, as they have done in Australia in recent years.

From a Lane Filtering perspective, I personally feel far more safe moving up between lanes of slow moving or stationary traffic than sitting at the back of traffic waiting to be taken out from behind due to the very same poor driving standards you mention. With the increased level of distracted driving out there these days I feel we're more safe filtering than not.
    Scoozi, Motonirvana, pretbek and 2 others like this.