Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, if the laws are changed, and the motoring public is educated, it shouldn't be a problem. No, I don't find California and Utah drivers to be "better" in any meaningful manner.

I don't "feel safer" one way or the other, I simply recognize the benefits, and challenges of every lane position.

I'm pro lane splitting and filtering, I just don't believe in magic bullet lane position arguments.
    jamesmc likes this.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    IME CA drivers are unsafe because everyone is hauling @ss and not paying attention to anything that isn't ahead of them

IME DC area drivers are unsafe because they'll cut you off to 'get ahead' OR they're trying to fly up to the exit, then jam in at the last second, causing a chain reaction behind them. Again: trying to 'get ahead.' Lots of Type A personalities around here. :nod

Having said that, there's lots of immigrants from places where motos are just another form of transportation and don't blink an eye when someone shares lanes past them.

M
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my years of driving interstate, you basically described every major metropolitan area. People are people where ever one goes, the difference is our driving culture of low standards for knowledge and skill, and an epidemic of self entitlement with personal justifications to ignore the rules of ones choosing.

Truth is, we're all "they", and "them".
    Traxx likes this.
  4. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I'm introducing a bunch of Pennsylvanians to Lane Filtering quite regularly, and sometimes Lane Splitting when circumstances arise. :nod
    st2sam, neanderthal and Motonirvana like this.
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I'll argue that there are specific behavior patterns in different metro areas. Some places I've been have been better than others. Some have been worse.

DC is home to a bunch of Type A personalities. It's more 'me! Me! ME!' and 'I've got to get ahead' than say LA where everyone just wants to haul ass to get where they're going.

It really does surprise me that there aren't more accidents around here the way people drive. :confused

Try driving in metro Cancun! The rules of the road are different from anywhere else I've driven. ...and I didn't know the rules of the road till I figured out that you get your nose in front of someone, they yield.

M
    MatttheHatt likes this.
  6. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    A non-filtering state, per the googles. What has been the average driver reaction, when it occurs?
  7. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    A hurtful 2 honks per 300 cars, and sometimes a devastating "hey asshole!" at a stoplight.
    I'm still recovering.
  8. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you're saying filtering in Pennsylvania is not for snowflakes?

:hide
    neanderthal and pretbek like this.
  9. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh the irony. LA freeways barely move during commute hours, and most aren't much better outside of those windows.
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's about right. When I bought my 640A from Renazco, I hit northern LA at 2300hrs or so and still had to lane share to get back to Sandy Eggo at a 'decent' hour.

THAT was a long day. :nod

Sandy Eggo? Different story. :nod

M
  11. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Left Dockweiler Beach after bbq-ing with some friends, at midnite. Someone tell me WHY I was parked in stop and go traffic on the 110 freeway? At half past midnight?!?!?
  12. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Filtering at a certain stoplight when a truck is first in line for an uphill is becoming a regular thing. I'm a half mile down the road, not sitting in heat and exhaust while the truck and his followers are still in the first 100 yards off the light. There's a wide open view. I usually set it up like I was planning a right on red and changed my mind.
  13. Khunfuzion

Khunfuzion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally I am all about the splitting and filtering living here in Austin, TX. With I-35 though its a terrifying thought. With the amount of bikes traveling around here it would make a ton of sense. I have seen several bikes splitting in the parking lot called 35. I only do it when there is some idiot driver texting or driving erratically. I usually use blinkers and ride a bit more aggressively than I should.
    MatttheHatt likes this.
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    In the past week I drove through Chicago on I-90 going east through downtown, and on I-294 going west around the city. Each way I saw a couple bikes filtering/lane splitting. Unless it is legal, and especially unless the driving public is aware/educated about it, I'd only do it in situations where sitting in traffic may be dangerous to me.

Way back in 95 I was on I-80/90 near Hammond IN in stop-go traffic, bike was heating up big time so twice I motored slowly on the far left shoulder to keep air moving over the engine. Twice a semi-truck tried to pinch me against the concrete barrier to "keep me in line." I got through both times, after the 2nd time I weaved through the lanes and got the hell outta there on surface streets.
  15. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    I got stuck in a traffic jam coming out of Chicago while riding a 1100RTP. As I watched the engine temperature move up and up and get close to the danger zone, I decided to split. Did that for about 3 miles, past the stopped cars. Not once did someone honk or gesture to me.

Another time I was in Toronto, traffic was stopped on a city street, I started splitting, no issues at all. I even passed 2 police cars stuck in the traffic jam, other than a quick nod from one officer, they didn't seem to care.

If traffic is bad, such as moving below 15 mph, or stopped dead I will split. Having lived in SoCal, I have no problems doing so.
    Motonirvana and snglfin like this.
  16. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think some people in cars understand about the heat thing for bikes especially if the filtering is done responsibly. Some drivers have no clue about anything. You can't fix the latter but can be prepared and cautious of them. I can't speak for law enforcement but I'd like to think the experienced ones would distinguish between reckless riding and responsible filtering.
  17. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus

Oddometer:
    I am surprised a semi would care enough about you splitting to try a move like that - let alone two of them....
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Yeah! And the 2nd one was driven by a woman. When I was alongside the semi-trailer tires I saw the tractor front tires suddenly steer left. I was at least 40' back of the front of the truck. So I punched it down to 1st and cranked on it, snuck past the bumper and the concrete barrier. That bitch REALLY wanted to pinch me.

After that I moved back into stopped traffic in the center lanes, along with my buddy on his bike, and all the other semis started to crowd into us. Only time I ever experienced anything like that. They figured if they were stuck in traffic then we should too, even if us getting out of traffic meant more room for them.
  19. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had semis do it to me several times in the past several years. Once was on a merging set of lanes (I-90 S to I-39) around Rockford, IL, where everyone was stopped and there was still plenty of lane left for my R69S. One semi tried to move over and crush me. Once past the jam, the road was clear. The other time was on I-39 in construction, where the construction sign said merge in 1 mile. and 'Merge at cones' or something like that. The State of IL understands zippering, even if none of its drivers do. Everyone had merged a mile before the signs directed them to, and I went up the clear lane until the actual merge point. In the process, 2 semis tried to ram me, but I was more than willing to go off road to miss them. One must have called ahead to the other, because he obviously planned it.
    The more I ride and drive, the more I think semi drivers are homicidal, psychopathic a**holes who really should not have a job. And probably should be in jail. Or maybe they already have been.
  20. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus

Oddometer:
    This point seems to be lost on most people.

This is a sure way to piss off drivers. It is one of those things that makes perfect sense, is absolutely correct and appropriate, legal, the way it is supposed to be done etc. etc., and yet...
    Luckycharms likes this.