Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Luckycharms

Luckycharms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That wasn't really lane splitting by the motorcyclist, but it's a good point that I often, when not splitting lanes, hang on the side of the lane like that, provides better visibility for me of what's going on ahead, and I'm much less likely to get crushed between two cars like that.
  3. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree that it would piss people off, but people do it wrong. To me it is like lane splitting and traffic light filtering; yes it is illegal (unlike the proper zipper merge near the merge point) and unlike what most people do, but if enough people do it and do it right, it might change perception and then behavior and then the law.

Or not. YMMV
  4. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Lane splitting in North America will *always* be met with anger.

We have been raised in a "I got here first, so fuck you" society, one in which we can't possibly allow someone else to have an "advantage" over us. See also: Bicycle lanes, preferred parking, etc.

It *doesn't matter* if me filtering to the front has ZERO effect on whether or not you get to your destination at a given time, it *doesn't matter* if it poses no risk, or lessened risk. it *doesn't matter* if the stats prove it's the right thing to do.

I am stuck in traffic, so you should be too.

try riding a bicycle if you want to see people twist themselves in knots due to their own choices. A) you're constantly catching up and passing drivers as they stop and go, stop and go.... and that just drives home the fact that they're not really getting anywhere, and paying a fuckton of money for the opportunity B) In the same trip you will be told to "get on the fucking sidewalk", and then at the next light, be told to "Follow the rules of the road", depending on what suits the driver.

We live in a self centered society. It's all bout who gets there first. and fuck you if I have to sit in traffic while you get to filter to the front... all of a sudden laws apply, ya know? Never mind that same driver will share your lane to get past you without a second thought, that benefits *HIM*, so that's different.

We in North America can't abide someone else getting what we see as "preferential treatment". Even if doesn't actually affect us.

edit: typo
    pretbek, tlub, MatttheHatt and 3 others like this.
  5. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    And that is largely why we in north America could never handle traffic like this:

with no rules to follow, its everyone for themself
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in the Seattle area, 9 times out of 10 when I see someone splitting illegally they're riding like assholes.

From what I see in real life, and the condescending attitude of most who boast about doing it, it's doing more harm than good.

Civil disobedience can work when it represents the desires of the majority, like abolishing the 55 mph National speed limit. But a small generally disliked group like motorcyclists will further alienate themselves by it.
    Kikemon likes this.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, a perfect example of what we're facing.
  8. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. I think it's a damn good example, myself... but I'm willing to discuss it.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sarcasm, I'm also a cyclist, and totally agree.
    rat likes this.
  10. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    And yet here in California, where the me first attitude is extremely prevalent, I have no problems lane splitting. So, again, the voice of experience says that where it's legal, it will be tolerated pretty well.
  11. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    And how long did it take to get to "accepted"? (answer... began in the 60s?) And how long did it take to make it *actually* legal, as in "written into law? It could be argued that it didn't happen until 20...13? (I'm not 100% on the details so forgive me)

I go back to bicycle riding... it's 100% legal to ride in the centre of lane, in fact... it's illegal to ride anywhere but in most places. Dirvers must pass as if passing a car... entirely into the next lane and only when safe to do so.

Being "legal" doesn't make a thing tolerated. I would argue that it's tolerated in Cali because it's been going on long enough that it just "is" now.

Further, I'd add this... in regards to this:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/ass...ifornia-Lane-Splitting-Habits-Survey-2014.pdf

>"The 2014 study found that 60 percent of drivers disapproved of lane splitting. More than half of those who disapproved said it was because they felt lane splitting was unsafe. Other reasons include fear that it will lead to a crash, it startles drivers, motorcyclists are going too fast, lane splitting is "unfair" or illegal."

Look at that last line.
    MatttheHatt likes this.
  12. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer Supporter

Oddometer:
    just to be clear, lane-sharing has always been legal in California because it was never illegal in California; there was no law against it.

it wasn't until someone got their panties in a wad about the CHP spending money to share guidelines about how it was to be done safely that it was decided we needed to have a law that made something that was already legal, legal. (political brilliance at its finest.)

and, i've only been riding in Calif since the 70s, but i don't remember it ever not being "accepted".

13. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    And, as California goes, so does the rest of the country, a bit later and a bit smarter.
  14. ChaoSS402

Oddometer:
    You can argue against those with experience all you want. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the so called lane splitting law actually did? All it did was define it, not make it legal or illegal, and authorize the CHP to make educational guidelines. That's it.
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Amazing how that works. Ain't it?! Around NoVA, there's so much farging traffic that it really takes a dedicated person to commute via moto. Allow lane sharing and get 10% of the traffic off the road and things will go back to the way it was in the 80s/90s: things will start moving again.

I've had more than a few people move over slightly to make room for me on the moto. Always give a foot waggle or wave depending on which side of the moto they're on.

I can be riding my bicycle down a perfectly straight, flat road, with no traffic within sight, and have people passing me get pissed at me for some reason. :dunno It's like it's difficult to turn a wheel slightly?! I never have gotten that. :confused

M
    Revolve likes this.
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    There was a big kerfuffle when the CHP put out those guidelines. Led to the law we have now. ...which wasn't needed, but there ya go.

I know *I* shared lanes pretty much every ride in Sandy Eggo Co. If I had to go to the office 40mi south of me, it was always much faster to ride than drive. :nod

M
  17. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    It’s not fair is a pretty juvenile state of mind IMO.
    I brought my bike to a job in Seattle and got all sorts of anger from bus drivers and every other sort of ilk.
    After that I stopped but it’s petty at best..
  18. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    It’s not fair is a pretty juvenile state of mind IMO.
    I brought my bike to a job in Seattle and got all sorts of anger from bus drivers and every other sort of ilk...
    liberpolly likes this.
  19. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see it a lot more here in the Metromess lately, and more people seem to be getting used to it. Must be all them Californians moving here!:clap
    neanderthal likes this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I told the NC State trooper that even with this traffic stop I just saved myself 50 minutes of waiting in traffic in full gear on a 98 degree summer day by riding on the shoulder. He asked me what made me think I was so special that I could go around traffic. I said I didn't think I was special, I was just willing to risk a ticket and all the other sheeple weren't. His response was "Well then this is your lucky day" and he handed me the ticket. Sigh.

I have never, ever gotten out of a ticket. Not one single time. Well... except for the times I passed a cop going the opposite direction, then put the hammer down and got the hell out of there before he could turn around. But every single time I've been stopped, I've gotten a ticket.

Charles.