Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its human nature to believe others breaking the law are jerks, but it's ok when we do it.
  2. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might say something along the lines of preferring to risk a ticket than going bankrupt (even with insurance) from an ambulance ride due to heatstroke.
    neanderthal likes this.
  3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don’t split. And I don’t run the shoulder. Neither is legal here....

But I found myself stopped 3 miles behind a big wreck. Me with a broken clutch hand, my son on an air cooled Harley. I wasn’t doing 3 miles of stop and crawl. His bike would have cooked. Hazards and high beams, barreled down the shoulder to the next exit. Traveled incredible backroads. Lost time but it was worth it.
  4. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Riding on the shoulder is not smart or safe recommended. Circumstances vary, but lane splitting in those specific circumstances is definitely what a motorcycle is for.
    I've split in multiple states where I came across traffic due to an accident or other.
  5. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    That's wonderful, however no way on this earth were you ever going to "lane split" through miles of stopped vehicles with open doors, people milling about out of their vehicles on the roadway, in what amounted to one long tailgate, in the specific scenario I referenced. Just sayin.
  6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the case I cited, we enjoyed a dramatically lower chance of intentional or inadvertent incursion from another vehicle on the shoulder than we would have filtering/splitting. But they are two different things, and my experience was, perhaps, outside the topic at hand.
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Perhaps.
    But i've lane split in that exact scenario you describe, when there was a crash on I15 between Las Vegas and Los Angeles; traffic completely stopped, people outside their cars milling about, doors open etc. A several mile long tailgate, just as you describe. A quick tap of the horn, people closed their doors, got out of the way, etc.
  8. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    That would likely get you shot here.
    liberpolly likes this.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Where's "here" to you? (Fill out your profile?)

Same potential outcome in Louisiana. Have had people try to run me off the road and open doors in my face when trying to keep moving in 95 degree, 80% humidity weather. Assholes!
    Luckycharms and neanderthal like this.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Where is this wild west that you refer to as here? Because i'll still lane split there if I feel like it and come away unshot.
  11. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    There's always (i've only gone twice) a giant backup as you get to Louisiana from Texas. What did I do both times, lane split my way through rather than sitting in 103*F heat on the tarmac with all manner of vehicles spewing their exhaust fumes and radiating heat into the atmosphere.

Maybe it's because they see all the gear i'm wearing and think "poor bastard has enough on his plate." Maybe it's because my pipes aren't saving lives that i'm somehow avoiding being shot. if I had loud pipes and got shot, my loud pipes would just jump off my bike and save my life. Somehow. (Is that how it works? They perform CPR on you and such?) I think they see that and commiserate on my fate since there aren't pipes to save me.

And coming back I lanesplit through a mess of traffic in Louisiana. No drama.
  12. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Over the past year or so, I notice that drivers in metro NYC area have become a bit more conscious of me lane splitting. Many have started moving aside within their lanes to let me pass. I also notice that far more cars have blind spot sensors in their side mirrors which light up when I’m about to pass them. This has definitely been helpful and I’ve never needed to use high beams to alerts drivers that I’m coming through. Traffic is so backed up that often cops honk when they see me as it warn me but so far I haven’t been stopped. Yet. I’m sure my time is coming.
    neanderthal and khager like this.
  13. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Lanesplitting is becoming increasingly decriminalized in MD and basically de jure legal* in DC, in my riding groups' experiences. Virginia punishes it more so, but then VA traffic cops are some of the most ticket-happy in the country and I knew a young woman in college who got jail time for doing 90 in a 75!

That said, I have plenty of miles carving lines between cars in the DC metro area and have never had an angry reaction yet. It might just be that I lived in that area for about 75% of my 25 years, and know how to anticipate drivers' behavior there

*edit: my friend who works at the AMA does not encourage me to tell people filtering is legal in DC, just in case. it's more like how California used to be, that there's no law *against* it. that said, the practical fact of the matter is, once you are in the District of Columbia the only things a traffic cop (all ten of them) will ever pull you over for is outright trying to vehicularly murder someone, interrupting a politician's motorcade, or being a total dumb-dumb. traffic cameras ding you for speeding, that's the most the average DC driver ever gets as far as law enforcement
  14. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it is legal.
    neanderthal and Hamamelis like this.
  15. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    :lobby
    You can do basically anything on DC roads except speed, driving under the influence, and murder. There are some pretty nice roads through the northwest part of the District, too - it's a lot bigger than just the downtown area around the museums most people generally think of
  16. B02S4

B02S4 Aye

Oddometer:
    Route 248, Carbon County Pa. I suggest that you write your obit first. Good luck to you!
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sure sounds like the laws are a bit more lackadaisical in your area. Relaxed enough, that i'm guessing that if you're caught doing all three of those violations at once, the authorities would probably knock one or two of them down to an infraction...driver's choice.
  18. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    i’m currently on long island for work, and i noticed the same thing when coming across manhattan from new jersey during afternoon rush hour - many people actually moved to give me more space to get by. i don’t see how cops could actually catch a rider to cite them for splitting, unless they get the plate and send a ticket in the mail? there’s just no way a car could get through...

best regards,

johnnyg
    vasuvius likes this.
  19. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    The real risk is not noticing a police car and passing it on the lane separator. Once he turns the lights on, you better stop or it's evasion and more charges.
    snglfin likes this.
  20. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They have to prove you saw the lights and knew he wanted you, which is pretty much impossible if the cop is stuck in a line of cars.
    Luckycharms and vasuvius like this.