Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Hot weather? I'll take that citation and try my chances in court.
  2. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Like recently in El Paso and Odessa, or is that a different kind of "good guy"
  3. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. WDG

WDG Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    Plus, the shoulders seem to be where all the roofing nails and other tire hazards end up.
    :becca
    neanderthal likes this.
  5. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was your mistake... admitting you were willing to "risk a ticket and the other sheeple weren't." I never got out of tickets when I was young, then I had a point in my life where I worked with law enforcement and learned the secret. There are really only two crimes in America... misdemeanor bad attitude and felony bad attitude. You've got to learn not to fail the attitude test. The cop gave you an attitude test and you didn't pass. What might have been a better answer? "Officer, I'm not special. I'm just burning up in all of this safety gear and I didn't want to get so hot just sitting there or going slow and pass out. I figured it would be a lot more disruptive to traffic if I keeled over and caused an incident, so I felt that riding slowly on the shoulder to get some airflow would be safer." The cop might have looked at you a little sideways, but you likely would have skated with a warning.
  6. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    I lane split when in CA... because drivers are used to it and know how to react to it. Here in the PNW, the busybody do-gooders would like nothing more than to swerve into you to show you how dangerous lane splitting is by teaching you a lesson. I've had people in Los Angeles traffic yell at me (women in minivans, likely fairly new to CA) "that's not legal!" There's no point in stopping and arguing, so I just keep going.

There was an attempt to pass a lane splitting law in the WA legislature a year or so ago; it failed. Progressive Seattle is not ready to actually consider the possibility that trusting people to use common sense is a good idea.
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:

Bullshit. Maybe if you're white.

I nearly got shot reaching for my wallet after the officer asked me to show him my drivers license, insurance, and registration. It took an act of "fuck this shit" and "let the muthafucker stew in this heat!" to get past the impasse where he kept yelling at me to show him my license and I kept telling him "i'm not deaf, I was reaching to get my wallet when you pulled your gun on me, so I'm not moving."

Here's the instance
    Berchunis, Hamamelis and Luckycharms like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's $250 fine (riding on shoulder) here in VA vs reckless for splitting.. unless you are on 50cc scooter
  9. ObiJohn

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to what happened specifically; I wasn't there. I will tell you that traffic stops are the most dangerous things that the police do; this is where most cops get shot. From the police officer's perspective, he can't tell if you're reaching for your wallet or for a gun. In a traffic stop, the police will usually pull you over and then sit in their car for a minute running your plate. In that time, get your license out and have it in your hand, and have your hand on the steering wheel. At night, turn on the interior lights. When the officer walks up, he's going to push on the trunk to make sure someone doesn't come out behind him, he's going to check the back seat to make sure someone isn't crouched there to ambush him, and then he's going to talk to you. He doesn't know whether you're a pastor or a psycho with a dead body in the trunk. Having that license in your hand goes a long way towards reassuring him... because this is how an off duty police officer would act.

Nevertheless, if you didn't get shot then you acted appropriately. Yes, if a gun is pulled I'm going to stay as still as possible. While many cops have excellent gun handling and confrontational skills... well, there's a reason for the nickname 'Barney Fife.' Just giving some advice... if you have that license out and your hands are on the wheel, then there really is no movement required when the officer is at your window.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    But VA has taken the whole "reckless" thing to ridiculous extremes. It means that a casual lane splitter or someone going 80 is going to be classified, cited (and potentially penalized) the same way as someone racing in and out of traffic at 120. Most states define "reckless operation" something like "operating a vehicle with willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." Going 80 in a 70 does not fit that description in any way, especially given that there are plenty of other places in USA where 80mph would not only be common and safe but even within the posted speed limits.
    st2sam, DittyBag and Luckycharms like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition 2 abreast is also classified as reckless and reckless is misdemeanor so you would have a criminal record if you get caught.
  12. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Does that apply to cops as well? ...or are there no motorcycle cops in the State of Virginia. Yep, you could have a criminal record in one State for riding at a speed that would be 5 under the limit in parts of TX. That's why I try to avoid passing through VA if I'm ever travelling in that part of the country.
  13. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Well, I was there and I can tell you that in any interaction a black person has with the police, they are in danger, besides that

A) he got the speed limit wrong, and
    B) I was going at the speed of traffic in vehicle with
    C) up to date insurance and registration.

And most importantly, I didn't just randomly reach, HE ASKED to see my license, insurance, and registration.
    Was i supposed to just conjure them up out of thin air? Where do you keep your drivers license? Where did think I was going to get it from?

You can try to justify his actions all you want but I did nothing wrong and got a gun pointed at me for that.

It's always amusing that the first reaction most white people have is to defend the cop, throwing out statistics about cops in danger, instead of saying "that's fucked up!" Only one dude on my rugby team, immediately said "that's fucked up. Did you get his badge number?" One. I've told this story maybe forty or fifty times now.

I guess my humanity doesn't count.
    tlub, Luckycharms and cyclopathic like this.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Everything in Virginia is a reckless though.

They tagged that one when a State Shithead decided the cowl on my hood was too tall. Nevermind the car wasn't registered in Virginiastan, nor was a resident.

I just avoid that part of the country.

.....and if I must transverse Virginia, I do it on I-81 in the middle of the night.
    DittyBag and cyclopathic like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must have been Fairfax county

With regards to 'stans at least you can bribe your way out and there's also human factor; if you look enough of "mamzel in distress" there's a chance they will let you go for free. /have been there/done it/
    Tripped1 likes this.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Close, King George Co.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    White, redneck, hillbilly here. That's F'd up man. The dude must have had a phobia, who knows? When I'm told by a cop to get this or that, I look him in the eye and tell him where it is at and I am going to move in that direction to get it.
    Traxx and cyclopathic like this.
  18. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out here in Vegas people lane split. Its not legal. I do it at stop lights, but people here do it on the highway. That shit is dangerous.
  19. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Royal Jordanian

20. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir.
    DittyBag likes this.