Lane-splitting in non-lane-splitting states

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Kikemon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    That is expert level utilisation of his motorcycles size.
  2. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    I do it when i'm there. Especially in summer. I'm not sitting around in that heat. Same for Phoenix.

I left Vegas one time headed to LA and came upon the mother of traffic nightmares; a veritable parking lot on the I15W. So bad people had turned off their cars, were outside milling about, making friends with people in nearby cars. I'm surprised no one was bbq-ing. I lane split for miles and miles. Twas an accident, Fire dept/ EMS had shut down the highway temporarily to clear the wreckage.
    boomsling likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to care about this but now my skin is too thick. I got asked to blow into tube but instead of feeling being singled out I felt wow it's first time in 50-something years, way to go son!
    Traxx likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    UR lucky FF co is much worse
  5. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brother, that's fucked up. All humanity counts, regardless of skin color.
    neanderthal likes this.
  6. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Did you get a gun pointed at you when you moved to blow into the tube?

Completely different then.
    Kikemon and Sal Pairadice like this.
  7. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

It's interesting as fuck that that dude pointed a gun at me, putting ME in danger, and they quoting stats about police being in danger at stops. What about me?
    Then they act surprised when we say black lives matter. This thing that happened to me, it's a perfect example of ignoring my humanity, my agency, my safety for someone elses.
    Sal Pairadice and Luckycharms like this.
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I have to say that I can see it from both sides. In your particular story, it certainly seems like the cop was overly nervous and quite possibly a dick. He could also have been a racist dick - and while statistics suggest that is sometimes the case, I’m not sure you can always make that assumption.

I’d also have to add that I’m not black but I have come across quite a few “authority figures” who were assholes.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not justifying his actions. Saying that being very calm and deliberate because some police overreact or make biased judgments based upon appearance means it might be a good idea, in the future, to do what you can to break the chain. There's a saying that the only way to win an armed confrontation is to not get injured. If that cop shoots you and he is totally unjustified and will go to jail... well, you still got shot. I agree, what happened to you was not appropriate. Understanding some reasons why the cop behaved the way he did doesn't excuse his actions. Instead, it's an attempt to share a strategy that might, just might, reduce the odds of having a gun drawn on you again. To ensure that you don't lose even if you have done nothing wrong. I certainly don't want to see you or me or anyone hurt or killed when it is not absolutely necessary to protect others from being harmed. That is my humanity speaking... and yes, I have had a cop pull a gun on me for doing nothing wrong, so I know how it feels... scary as f**k, and demeaning and humiliating.

Did you contact the police department afterward to have a discussion with them about the inappropriateness of your encounter? With the officer's badge #? I think that is an excellent idea... and it is not too late.
    Traxx and Bt10 like this.
  10. neanderthal

Oddometer:

You may say that now, but the very first thing you did was mention that police get shot the most at traffic stops, ignoring that this officer had his gun pointed at me for responding to what he said.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    He didn't; his buddy had hand but wasn't pointing yet.
    You should have really contacted department/state/Attorney&Inspector General/TV/etc it is a serious violation of protocol.

Believe it or not most shootings are accidental, so they teach a) not to point b) not to have finger on trigger. Guys violating could easily loose their job as well as department could have problem with lack of training; this is more serious than racial profiling which is hard to prove.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. neanderthal

Oddometer:
    Twas back in the nineties, and cops were getting away with everything.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh 90s the friend of mine told me a story about guy in front of him in MickeyD refusing to take food from a black person.. it was in NC in '98?

Let's get back to lane splitting; peace
    Traxx likes this.
  14. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    52 year old white guy here to say that every time I see an 'all lives matter' or 'cop lives matter' or 'white lives matter' sticker (I live in the rural South) I edge ever closer to my first (last?) aneurysm. White people love to pretend to feel threatened any time someone points out that some particular aspect of life in America as a black person might be sub-optimal. It makes me embarrassed to be, at least once every couple weeks or so. I've been riding and driving too fast for 35 years now, and I've had _plenty_ of LEO 'contact' all over the country, and apart from one psycho anti-bike MA State cop who got famous by literally pushing an RZ350 off a bridge on Rt.2 i na fit of rage, I've never had anything more than 'do you know why I pulled you over?'

As for lane splitting, I didn't know it was a thing until I moved to the SFBA in '91. LIBERATION! I moved back east several years later, and _thought_ I'd just happily keep on, illegally. It turned out that the engendered Road Rage was unimaginably high-output, and consistent. I had stuff thrown at me, and I had a guy once in literally stopped traffic swerve so violently in an attempt to block me that he hit the adjacent car. I've never smiled so widely as I did while riding around that mess on the left and continuing on. But ya, I think the danger from that sort of anger is worse than the traffic, so I don't do it any more.

If the traffic isn't moving at all, sometimes I risk the right shoulder.
  15. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So can't we all just be brothers and sisters here on the forum, ignoring pigmentation. End the divisiveness. Heal the wounds. Bridge the gaps. Unite, because those cagers are awful.
    ObiJohn and pidjones like this.
  16. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had no idea what the pigmentation was until...
    Traxx likes this.
  17. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I thought he was a red BMW.
    MapleRoad likes this.
  18. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey. Native American BMW.

Cheesy jokes aside, skin color does indeed not matter other than adding to the diversity of humankind. ...But I guess should also elicit awareness that someone's experience in a similar situation can be fundamentally different because of their skin color, unfortunately.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sooooooo, being in a mixed marriage I see it going several ways. Hate and acceptance and Love, all from different directions. Attitude, education and presentation are the biggest factors working for or against anyone of any color.
  20. 60wag

60wag Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From another forum but this one cracked me up: lane split.PNG
    Jabcon2 likes this.