Lanyard Magnet Position - Bou 2020

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Mar 31, 2020.

1. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    X Trial Barcelona 2020 I noticed Bou has his kill switch post, the black magnet receiver, inboard of the front brake master cylinder. Shown here with the magnet off:
    Bou Kill 3.JPG

Here he is placing the magnet back on the post. Note how the red strap is pulled a little taught and the angle is quite flat and low over the top of the master cylinder.
    Bou Kill 1.JPG

Most of us have the post between the grip and the master cylinder with the strap dangling down.

Can anyone figure out why he has his kill setup that way? What would be the advantage?

Attached Files:

jonnyc21 likes this.
  2. Cascao

Cascao Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Top riders are always aiming for not having an unexpected engine killed by this magnet being pulled inadvertently.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Umm, that's the clutch side. :augie

Other than that I got nuthin'.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is the little difference between us and him. We can all ride like him if we do that.

On a slightly related topic: how many people are running a non-elastic lanyard? I hate that chunk of plastic and magnet coming flying at me after I jump off. I think I saw someone who makes a non-elastic lanyard but I can’t remember who.
  5. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m using the tether cord and wristband that came with my ski gloves, I like it much better for the same slingshot reason you mentioned....when I’m practicing in the yard mine gets used regularly....:muutt
    jonnyc21 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  6. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    No dangling beneath the bars? I've seen my share of lanyards getting snagged on bushes/twigs/stuff. I route my lanyard under the palm of my hand to keep it from dangling. Hmmm, I might try Bou's mounting location. It seems less fiddly than positioning my lanyard every time I put my hand back on the bars.
  7. volrider

volrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Laura Peters. tryalsryder on here
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  8. flo10

flo10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the standard position on a Montesa--probably because the MAP switch is located between the grip and the master cylinder. That being said, it's a pretty good location. However, after knocking mine off with my body a few times, I've rotated it forward so the master cylinder shields it a bit to prevent body contact and so far so good.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  9. motobene

Oddometer:
    You may have the answer in your two reasons of no dangle and less fiddling, sir!

The lanyard in his setup is mostly protected by the bars, and part of that is having it under a bit of tension for one position (aiming off to the right) and no fiddling around once your left hand is on the bars. I got a 5 once for having the magnet pulled off by a dangling strap getting snagged by a tree branch in a poorly-trimmed section. My standard for trimming no small brush or small limbs in the full width of the travel path, but not everyone will do that.

Hmm. A non-elastic lanyard! I got popped in the face once by the magnet.

I don't like is the short lifespan of the elastic, which frazzles after a while then starts going flaccid. Got to experiment with some kind of synthetic string or cord, and how long to make it, particularly shorter. No forgiveness that way, however, if you lift your hand off the grip slightly, for whatever reason. Not fun when tooling down the loop to have a hand part way off and the body go forward because the motor is suddenly killed:p3rry

How many of you during competitions walk sections with the strap attached and the magnet dangling down from your wrist or held in your palm? I started doing that when it could cost me a 5 in nationals to forget a strap draped over the bars in stead of my wrist - or worse yet dangling straight down. When the strap and magnet stay with me I don't forget because the bike simply won't start if I do.
    Yinzer Moto, jonnyc21 and Buschog like this.
  10. motobene

Oddometer:
    I wondered if there was a map switch on the left. I assumed someone like Bou would not clutter up a bike with a map switch and want the same engine response to throttle always... unless they are perhaps doing some additional sophisticated stuff with a map switch.

A forward angle on the magnet post is good basic info. I had to learn that the hard way when my leg at the crotch came full forward and knocked the magnet off :-0
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Always, with it in my palm. Much easier than fiddling with the damned strap every time.
    motobene and Yinzer Moto like this.
  12. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I prefer the strap/tether that came on my wifes Beta. It is non-elastic, like shoe string material. I may reach out to Laura Peters. I made a few elastic type replacements some time ago, and they were easy enough to do.
  13. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    On walking around with the strap on my wrist I don't. I spent 15 minutes at a National helping my competitor, Gilbert Reed, trying to find his that fell off his wrist while inspecting a section.

I keep my kill switch/tether right next to the left hand grip so I can flick off with a thumb. I have been in a throttle stuck open, facing down a steep hill so I can't take a hand off the front brake, left hand holding the clutch in. Tether too far in to reach. Ended up dropping clutch, bike launched down hill full throttle, tether then came off but the bike ended up 30 feet away with a seized top end. So, now the tether goes to within thumb reach now. Never inadvertently knocked it off since I moved it close.
    Harry Potter, Yinzer Moto and Buschog like this.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I remember readying that Bou's ECU is setup with some kind of wireless system and I don't believe he uses any kind of map switch on the bars, at least don't remember seeing a switch when I saw his bike in AZ during the world round. If he has one I am going to guess its out of the way and can't be hit by mistake.

My 300 RR has the switch on the left of the master and the magnetic base on the right though. And I do rotate the magnetic post forward as much as possible to prevent hitting it by mistake.
  15. Beatprojim

Beatprojim Beatprojim Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my 300RR I moved the switch so it lives between the throttle and front brake perch. The switch itself hides under the throttle cable to is hard to accidentally flip it. This gives me lots of room for the tether to snuggle close to the left grip
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I moved my map switch down to the motor, and mounted it on a radiator hose. All the way, outta the way! Of course that didn't happen until after a magnificent crash that slightly damaged the switch.
    I have my kill switch mounted immediately adjacent to the left grip so I can reach it with my thumb.
    I keep my tether attached to my wrist all day, but I have a spare - oh shit - magnet stuck onto an engine bolt, for just in case.
    motobene, jonnyc21 and Beatprojim like this.
  17. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
    Here's a photo linked from TMX that shows Bou's switches. The map switch is on the throttle side and is smaller with LED map indicators (more than 2 maps).

[​IMG]
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Now that I look at that a bit closer I think I did see that at AZ, didn't check it out close enough then to notice it might have been a map switch. Cool.
  19. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a nice looking Brembo front master....what kind of throttle assembly is that?
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of his bike, is slightly different. I can`t believe this has gone on all day, just because he set`s the location so his body does not knock it off. :D