Lanyard Magnet Position - Bou 2020

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Mar 31, 2020.

1. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used paracord, lap join with a needle and thread, then permatex the threads for longevity. 0925200817-00.jpg
    fprintf, Huzband, 2whlrcr and 2 others like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made a couple of them recently with the identical paracord. I used marine grade heat shrink to hold it together.
    Huzband likes this.
  3. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I've been running my kill switch inboard all season and... I haven't even considered moving it back. It's really nice to not worry about it dangling. I asked one of our national level riders and he said that one of the reasons a lot of folks run them inboard is to kill the bike sooner.

@Buschog nice find! Plenty cheap, so I can afford to give them away to people whining about their elastic lanyard.
    Buschog likes this.
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Buschog likes this.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buschog, ditto! Great find! I hate how the elastic lanyard straps get long in the tooth and start to go flaccid in just a year. There won't be any give in these straps, just bink! and you are dead motor. But certainly worth a go for $7. They long enough?
    Lanyards.JPG
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Not only that, I had two straps snap season before last. Not good when you're on the ground next to a running bike. :bluduh
    motobene likes this.
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about it and this kind of strap makes me a little nervous. If, in the unlikely event, the strap gets snagged in something like your rear sprocket, before the bike spins all the way down, it will not snap/brake like the standard ones. I know this is edge case but a part of me wonders how I would rather spend some cash on a bunch of replacements or even some extra elastic that is just a touch more robust than a standard lanyard and fix my own from time to time to keep them fresh to avoid the possible ramifications of having that thick strap caught on something, bike or other wise, and mess up my wrist.

Really need my hands to keep working correctly so I can type... something about being a computer guy keeps me wanting them to work well to pay the bills.

Just sharing my thoughts. :dunno
  9. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought two replacement straps from the Splatshop while I was ordering some other things. They are non-elastic but I find them too short when compared to the length of the Jitsie elastic ones. They are *just* long enough to go to my inboard magnetic switch. If my hand moves at all off the grip it kills the bike. I can't see a reason for this but being so tied to the bike just feels a little more cramped. There is no taking a hand off the bars at all for any reason. So I'd double check the lengths you need if buying the Amazon ones to make sure they are Goldilocks length (not too long, not too short, just right).
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am wondering if it wouldn't be to hard to split the end at the wrist and find a way to use thread or some other weaker choice to re-join it that would brake/sever under a hard enough snag but still be more robust than the current standard versions...

Hmmm... Might spend some time on that later... have a bit crazy going on around her so will be a bit before I can sort it out.
    alpineboard and Norman Foley like this.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
  13. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The version that I bought is shorter than the oem elastic one. I have the switch moved out close to my grip and rotated forward to be protected from accidental removal by the clutch perch. I like that the bike dies as soon as I "dismount". I've had the situation where it seemed I was a mile away from the machine when the elastic finally stretched far enough. I also like that I can hit the magnet off with my thumb to use it as an intentional kill button.

I also like that the cord is nice and short so it doesn't get grabbed by branches etc. I got spit off my bike before, in my yard practicing. It was a nice soft landing (NOT) in the sage brush. Had that happen in one competition as well.
    motobene, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  14. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try it today and see how I like it. I use my thumb to hit the magnet off with the conventional lanyard.
    Buschog likes this.
  15. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    All good points! Longer:
    Long Lanyard.JPG

...and as to the safety issue of having a rigid lanyard strap, that is definitely a good point! Designs are sometimes the way they are for (initially) unobvious reasons. Braided nylon cord has a high tensile strength. A quick snap on that can cut into your wrist deeply and cause some significant damage in a blink.
    If the magnet gets trapped on something the little cord at the end Lanyard End.JPG will probably quickly snap. If the cord below your wrist opens up and you snag that, how strong is the black plastic cord-gathering end? If that lets go at a significant force less than the nylon cord, there's a 'safety valve' there.

The greater probability does not favor catastrophe, but the effect of a fast snag could be significant. It's something to be aware of. In the failure modes and effects analyses we had to do for designs, there were two rankings, the probability a failure might occur, and how bad the effects would be if it did occur.

All life entails risk. The strength of the cord is just something to be aware of.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Thanks and for clarification, my primary intent on adding some kind of breakaway would be at the back of the lanyard at the wrist so if in the event the lower part of the lanyard was caught in something it would separate behind my wrist rather than have tangle and pinch potential.

Hoping my current crazy will settle down in 3 or 4 weeks so I can do some more looking into options and pick a few to test.
    motobene likes this.
  17. Nodabs

Nodabs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe a breakaway lanyard like I have to wear at work for my badge would work.
    They have a plastic break away on them that can be reattached.
    It would be a bad day at work to be sucked into a giant piece of machine equipment by your neck.
    LemmeTry, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Most of the plastic options I have used and/or seen for badges wouldn’t have the level of retention needed for a magnetic trials lanyard based on my experience with them and would separate to easily, but maybe there is something close out there.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went to the string style lanyard because I kept breaking the stretchy ones. The stretchy ones would break and the magnet would stay in position. I personally do not think the string is much of a risk, the power should be cut on the motor and it should be spinning down.
    Huzband likes this.
  20. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer: