Lanyard Magnet Position - Bou 2020

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Mar 31, 2020.

1. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Ok, so where do you get those from? I'm doubting Laura lives down the street from me.
    Norman Foley, 10K and fprintf like this.
  2. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    https://www.dsquaredtrials.com/
    Email Dee.
    I bought two. They are nice!
    Harry Potter and Norman Foley like this.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, D2 is where I got mine from.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I don't know what y'all are worried about. As far as I'm concerned it only needs to reach from the button to my wrist. It's not like I need to pick my nose while I'm riding. I rode with it last Sunday & didn't have any issues with body english pulling it off.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  5. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I have, on more than one occasion, used my left hand/arm to scratch my nose or adjust my jersey just out of habit (left handed) and have pulled the magnet. It's never happened in a competition section but it certainly could. So, while the lanyard seems like a good option, I'm still on the fence.
  6. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Mandatory in competition here.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Also mandatory in NITRO/WOTA events now.
  8. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    May be worth trying it on the right side... I think there was another thread discussing that option at one point.
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Yes, they were mandatory when I was riding in 2016/17. I'm not "on the fence" about the kill switch, I'm on the fence regarding elastic versus lanyard.

That's a thought.
    2whlrcr likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quite a few options here on what you finally decide. Originally on my sons bike I ran the tether and a working kill button. The tether always goes on the left, because of the clutch. And the rules are just a tether when required, nothing about a stupid magnet. I have other ideas on the subject I cannot publicly post.
  11. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which side do you run the kill button? I have both the lanyard and kill button on the left, but thinking about switching the kill button over to the right but not sure of any potential consequences of that other than having to retrain myself to use my right thumb instead of left.
  12. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Not sure on fat bars but with the older type bars on my daughters Gas Gas I liked my kill button in the center under the crossbar. I think for me if I was going to run both I would run the kill button on the right so there isn't so much going on with just the one side, and I think I would also bring it in a bit closer to the center and point it a bit forward to my body was less likely to press it if I was leaning forward...
  13. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. Floridaman

Floridaman Trial by fire

Oddometer:
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Floridaman

Floridaman Trial by fire

Oddometer:
    I couldnt find anything of the same quality and size on amazon but yea that place has a lot of goodies if you poke around. I have about 2 1/2 years on my $5 lanyard wearing it every ride and i think theres one more year left.
    Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    After a lot of thinking and looking at what people here are getting I think I am going to sick with the elastic ones even though it might cost more and they will ware out faster.

I am just not getting past the bit where the strap will brake on mine if something goes way south. I know its very unlikely, however I still just want that extra bit of security as being a computer guy for a living makes it hard to want to have anything bad happen to my wrists.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could always put it around your neck. Me mine is usually wrapped around my bar. Oh yeah, I do like the idea of buying the magnet side for a spare. I would have already ordered one, but the CSP part I need/want is on back order from the Splat Shop.
  19. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered two spare magnets. One to put in my toolbox and another that goes in my hydration backpack while I ride. I think the woods around our club has quite a few lanyards that have flung off or been dropped and never found. I know of at least two from one rider! He now carries a bunch of spare neodynium magnets on his bike - inexpensive ones you get at Home Depot or the like. I was getting air filters from Splatshop anyway and thought I might as well add two in.

The nice thing about the orders from overseas is they often come very quickly. I paid for standard postal shipping (about $5) and it arrived in my mailbox in 3 days. I was shocked how quickly it came from the UK.
    jonnyc21, lineaway and Norman Foley like this.
  20. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I was leery of it when I rode your bike the other day. :lol3