1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Laos motorcycle rental or exchange, please locals, help me.

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Barbarin, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Barbarin

Barbarin España

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

This is Javier, a spaniard rider, which must confess is not very active on the forums as long as writing in english means always a frustrating exercise... My writing skills are quite decent in spanish, and as long as my daily spoken english is not bad (not spanglish), I feel frustrated when it comes to describe complex feelings.

Anyway... this is my situation. Very often, 4 times a year, I spend one month in Hong Kong-Shenzhen, and the last years I'm enjoying short trips on weekend to Thailand, Philippines... in which I have rented motorbikes for some kind of frugal, light, adventure... which I really enjoy. I had already booked my tickets for the end of this month (30-X to 2-XI), but found that there are no motorcycles available in Vientiane, at least on the business which I have found on Google, which have been really poor on communication most of them (lack of response, when not fully booked)
    But as long as I'm sure this are not the only ones, I would like to ask you help to find a suitable motorcycle for a few days money is not an issue, I mean, I dont mind to rent the bike the minimun 5 days.
    Another option I suggest is to exchange any of your motorcycles for my Africa Twin XRV750 or BMW R1150GS if you decide to come to Spain, which is as you know, one of the best destinations for riding ever.
    I dont do dirt, in other words, that is not my primary goal, but discovering places and so on... and if I find mud on the road I enjoy it, but don't look for it.
    Thanks in advance,

Javier
  2. CraigBKK

CraigBKK I ride to both find and forget myself...

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming you are not flying from Europe directly to VTE? There are many more options for bike rentals in Chiang Mai, Thailand. You can ride to the Lao border (Chiang Khong - Huay Sai) in a few hours from there on your rented bike.

This could be one option if you are in Thailand first although I have heard recently that original documents are now needed for rentals bikes going into Laos. Ask before hand.

Good luck!
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
  4. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you will visit PH and hopefully I can arrange a light bike that you can use on your tour.
  5. Barbarin

Barbarin España

Oddometer:
    Hello all, and thank you very much for your help!
    I have not been connected because I was already on a trip (business mainly, but when finished I went to Laos).
    I arrived Vientiane with no hotel or bike, and had one of my very best short trips ever... Finding a bike was easy, just many of the rental shops don't have website, or even email, and the motorcycle I got finally, a Honda CRF250 ended up being probably one of the very best you can ride out there.
    Jim was fully booked, the idea about doing the trip from Thailand.... hmm, I really love it, maybe next time. About PH, I was there last June, Manila to Baler and back. What a great ride as well, on a venerable old KLR650.
    Thanks to all,

Javier
  6. offroadlanna

offroadlanna n00b

Oddometer:
    Another good place to rent bikes from is Fuark Motorbike who is well known in Vientiane as probably one of the best places to rent from - he can be contacted at Fuark Motorbike Services, Asean Rd (T2), Ban Nakham, Vientiane. Phone 020-5552 1661, 020-5422 2229, 021-261970 and phone in Thailand +66 83 5000245 and email fuarkmotorcross@yahoo.com