Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Had a rig we did a while back that the starter was not working right. Off the bike it was iffy too. So, we got a starter stuck it in and it was still not right.. Long story short we went thru this and that with a good friends help who is really good with bike electrics technology...anyhow we get to the antenna ring and I said the heck with it lets take it to the dealer. So off we go...the guy plugs his diagnostiic computer in and what we had done so far comes up on the screen. He said we did a great job step by step and then said he could fix it in less than 3 minutes. Well he hit the button to clear the screen then turned on the key and it fired right up. Problem was we had overloaded the system with defaults but once he cleared the screen all was well. He felt the original issue with the new starter was just a little bit of unseeable corrosion on one of the items we took out and put back in. No issues since he cleared the system and the rig is in mexico at this time. ..... Sometimes technology just sucks ! Good thing he wasn't in the middle of some far away country etc etc. ...... Not the first time something goofy popped up and sadly maybe not the last. There has been talk about a lower tech and a high tech offering being a possiblity from some manfacturers who promote global travel ....time will tell.
    CCjon, Bobmws and rg sw wa. like this.
  2. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yet another strategy to develop "dealer dependency"! Problem is, in the current COVID-19 pandemic a visit to a dealer can be lethal, especially if the dealer has made no provisions for PPE and distancing. Smartest thing BMW et al could do for now is to ship every owner a cable to connect their computer to the diagnostic port on the bike, the diagnostic software and manual for their bike, and access to a help desk to guide home mechanics. They created this mess of a monopoly, let them fix it!
    Bobmws and rg sw wa. like this.
  3. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Sounds good within the written word but for someone stranded in the middle of the far away outback it just might not sound quite as practical.
  4. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    For that situation the solution is an Airhead!
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Ok this is a 95 K1100 it has a computer with a chip and a fuel map. Not so much technology but enough to be irritating but I'm not going back to airheads or carburators, an IBM programer who worked hear in the 80-90's when IBM was a powerhouse here was a Ducati gu with a 907 he noted that the after market chips often lost data cause the guys who sold them used cheap chips and only put one copy of the data on them.

I'm a victim of my own need to investigate stuff :hmmmmm

Claude knows my sidecar setup strategy, if it's not broke fix it till it is ! :fpalm Then when you have to UN-squirrel the mess, you can have a teachable moment :lol3
    Bobmws, CCjon, Hookalatch and 3 others like this.
  6. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    It has been said that even though the school of experience is a good institution the tuition can be high. Learning from others is a good thing however technology can at times be a place that few really grasp unless more technology is plugged in to sort things out.
  7. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    what's your next 'investment'
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    A psychiatrist oh wait I already have one of those ! This forum is getting goofier by the moment Doublemocha wants to complicate his build with an actuator (men with gadget syndrome) some guy with a Dbears sidecar frame wants advice with a very strange Aluminum sidecar frame Duh !!!!!!!!
    Aluminum hell !!! It isn't if it's going to break or crack it's when it's going to break or crack ! :fpalm

I think I'll make inquires about a trip teq ridgeback.

Or see if Claude would build me something like this LBS
    [​IMG]
  9. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    part of the d frame looks like handrail, nttawwt.

(above) its just money, right?

or just slap a ural chair on it and go have fun, the bm will likely shit the bed before the U.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  10. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    outfitter 1 1.jpg
    rg sw wa. and davebig like this.
  11. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    airhead enduro 1.jpg klr claude enduro.jpg
    Bobmws and davebig like this.
  12. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    outback goode dog.jpg
    davebig, rg sw wa., Feo and 3 others like this.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aluminum can be a right proper choice IF it is engineered properly, but then engineering isn’t something often found in american sidecars, is it??
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    The welder or weldor I know would agree with you ! In a small repair business up here ones going to repair allot of aluminum trailers (made in IA I have one myself) that got overloaded. My favorite was a Suzuki 4 stroke moto-x bike the lads put it together minus one large engine mount bolt and raced it :fpalm:fpalm who would have thought they could crack in so many places in one afternoon ? :hmmmmm Duh I wonder what stressed member of the frame really means :hmmmmm

There is some engineering in US sidecar shops not as much as you would hope but there is some ! Merica with it's preoccupation with freedom allows us to to get away with whatever just call yourself an entrepreneur get some insurance hire a lawyer and soldier on:hmmmmm

Hell even Boeing tried beta testing on the public :hmmmmm
  15. davebig

Oddometer:
    Oh boy I found something new to complain about :clap My first Hyper Pro shock that was on the Red K lasted little more than a year and seal leaked and damping suffered. I bought another and replaced it and had EPM overhaul it and when it came back put it on Whitey, the new on on Red failed this spring in just less than a year and is on it's way back to EPM :fpalm Seal really blew, oil all over bottom of shock no damping WTF :hmmmmm

So if I've recommended Klaus's shocks to you, keep an eye on it. Shit happens but I hate it when it happens to me :fpalm
    Bobmws and rg sw wa. like this.
  16. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh no, thought EPM shocks were made in the EU where they have real engineers......
    rg sw wa. and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain after the Works Performance fiasco
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  18. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm ! I guess it's actually good than that engineers no longer really make things, bean counters run companies and control who does what when where and how !

The interesting thing about the NL is that no ones been killed in a flood there since 52, because of engineers !
    Houston and New Orleans can't make such a claim but then again this is Merica home of Merican Exceptionalism and of course the only thing that really matters here is the best possible price !

So if you think that the Euro engineering is overrated I'd be glad to take that EZS rig you bought from We're Here off your hands !

Oh yeah I just took a peek Triumph has 3 factories in Thailand and 1 in Brazil !!!!!!! Thank dog the Brits got out of the EU !

I'm sure they'll return to Empire any day now !!!!!!!!!

Since you've started me on a rant Jan clarify a few more things for me where were the engineers at Boeing ? Ford's about to roll over again Fiat owns Chrysler and GM Merica's social welfare company is finally introducing a mid engine Vette, but is a top of the line car a status symbol if the company had to be bailed out by the government ? :hmmmmm
    CCjon, Bobmws, DRONE and 1 other person like this.
  20. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer: