Large CSM Hack, Small Schnauzer

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by davebig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    High Octane......Are you going to carry a spare wheel with tire mounted ?
  2. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will but I haven’t figured out the best solution yet. The EZS wheels aren’t the same and I don’t want to carry two mounted tires. I haven’t explored the possibility of a hub adapter yet. I still have some figger’n and jigger’n to do.
  3. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I somehow don't see Octane wandering the SW arid lands with his faithful partner Woody ! I don't think he's a expedition or world tour guy with small compressors, tire plugs and the ease of finding any 15" tire other than Claude's beloved VW sized Nankangs why would you rig for multiple spares ?

In an aside both AirheadDan and I have searched the upper Midwest looking for the guy that got 20 k miles on a Nankang pusher and have been thru several ourselves there's no such thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There a good old tire better when they where made in Taiwan vs China but there is way better 15" available everywhere :fpalm:fpalm:fpalm:fpalm
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  4. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Been more than a few that have topped 20k with a nankang. Hate to bust your bubble but truth is truth. Also, no, they are not my 'beloved' tire as we have used other brands as well depending on avaiability at the time. It is what it is and yes there are other sizes other than the 165 that are fine which can lower the rubber to the road gearing and we have used some of them too at times. Lotta EML rigs ran around with 135 tires for years . BTW you probably changed more tires early on than some tire shops lol.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  5. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Figger'n and jigger'n are good or bad things that many of us go through. I was just concerned about challenges you are having now and the 'what if' factor if you had to replace a tire when out in the boonies somewhere.
    rg sw wa. and High Octane like this.
  6. davebig

Oddometer:
    I didn't say I disliked your tire choices your absolutely right EML did use allot of those tire sizes and the 135 was my favorite steer tire on the black GS .
    I'm not calling you an out and out liar but if anyone got 20 K on a 165/80/15 pusher tire he's probably confused about when he mounted it.
    What's your objection to 175/65/15 s ?
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/

They are 5.5% shorter and provide slightly improved (lowered ) overall gearing in BMW's
    rg sw wa. and draperg1 like this.
  7. High Octane

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking that if I need to replace the tire sometime without access to a bead blaster I could always mount a 175 to the rim almost anyplace. For now I’m trying to stay narrow as possible to keep the steering light. Or I might just go back to a moto rim & tire if the steering is too heavy with the car tire up front. But then maybe the steering will be to light. It just might be one big circle.
    rg sw wa. and davebig like this.
  8. davebig

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  9. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Just because there are different experiences and such does not mean there is an argument. Also....To make a statement such as this one " I'm not calling you an out and out liar but if anyone got 20 K on a 165/80/15 pusher tire he's probably confused about when he mounted it." is a little over the top. We have had good results with the 165 tires and no complaints. We have encouraged people to try other sizes that may affect gearing in their favor on some rigs and a few have with positive results. BTW I think the close to 30 k on a 165 was on an LT /Hannigan pulling a cargo trailer from time to time . Outrageous and, yes, he should have changed it earlier. 20K is not all that uncommon. So.......I will leave 'your thread' to you have fun.
  10. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    BTW for a cycle tire the metzler ME888 seems to hold up good on the rear.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. davebig

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry your offended Claude it was suppose to be laughable I guess I should have added smiley faces or something.Onward.
  12. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assume.....
    davebig and Bobmws like this.
  13. davebig

Oddometer:
    There you go again Ron with your good information :-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    The shock saga EPM fixed my leaking year old shock for free and shortened a couple others for me so I could get my old 1150gs down to a little below stock height. Klaus called me personally and was very helpful.
    After 2 wks with a stock Showa with heavier spring I'm very happy to have the HyperPro back with it's progressive spring and more refined damping it rides and handles way better than the Showa.
    Bobmws, rg sw wa. and High Octane like this.
  15. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. davebig

Oddometer:
    Dave admit defeat !! I'm only sorry Luke isn't here to rub it in :-)
    The N14 Bosch R12 fuel injectors won't work well in a K1100 unless your racing the damn thing.
    I got some 4 hole rebuilt old versions and it idles better and doesn't run so damn lean and though I have a lean cackle in the closed throttle no back firing. I believe it has to do with how fast they pulse if the confuser says pulse the inject 3x per second and the injector is 3x faster than the old one it's done as the older ones have only pulsed 1x .
    I put 4 hole old ones in Whitey and he was allot easier to get a decent idle an didn't seem to run as lean as the red one.
    There you are 3 yrs and 37k miles to decide I made a mistake. :fpalm
    You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much.:fpalm

We hear only those questions for which we are in a position to find answers.

Friedrich Nietzsche
    rg sw wa., Feo, steam powered and 3 others like this.
  17. davebig

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm ! Buying a couple old K bikes and trying to hammer them into shape hasn't been the best idea. I ordered a K1100 computer from a German parts outfit on ebay took forever to get it the quarantine really slowed that down.

It turned up today and so I dig out all three confusers :fpalm they all have the same parts number :hmmmmm the one in the original grey 95 K1100 has a 1997 date on it, shit I think it was assembled out of allot of junk parts, engine and trans are good everything else has been crap. :hmmmmmRed's original computer appeared to be dated 94 as did the German one .
    Plugged in the German one and walla it doesn't seem to go supper rich upon starting as the other two do I assumed that was to light the Catalytic converter :hmmmmm.
    So are they different ? Damned if I know, idle is better and it doesn't seem to be as lean as either of the US computers. Did the Euro models have cats in the 90's ? I know the R1100 models in Europe had a pot on the computer to adjust mixture.
    Onward and forward.
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and High Octane like this.
  18. High Octane

Oddometer:
    I bet the cost of your confusers is cheaper than what I’ll pay the dealer to check the valves and replace the head gasket on my k16.
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Shite another shock with seals blown oil on shaft and paralever boot :fpalm, I have a good idea how I did it this time, I have to cut back on the dumb shit I do !

[​IMG]
    Its a road rig with about 2" travel :fpalm not a GS

[​IMG]
    Shit I said it can't be that muddy, it got worse I ended up operating a motor-grader with the subframe being the blade ,trimming the center down (hung up) :fpalm jumped off and pushed and Bob's your uncle. Poor idea, gravel roads are one thing not maintained farm lanes something else.
    Change shocks tomorrow and send it off to EPM and change my behavior :hmmmmm
    rg sw wa., airheadDan, CCjon and 4 others like this.
  20. High Octane

Oddometer:
    Me thinks you should get a Ural for such nasty stuff. Of course it might take 2 days to get there and back.
    rg sw wa., steam powered and JustKip like this.