Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. CarterFury

CarterFury Yee Haw! Supporter

Oddometer:
    More slow and easy once I get to the trail. Of course it really depends on the roughness of the terrain, but I like to stop every hour for a map check and water break at a minimum. will PM you my number.
  2. CarterFury

Oddometer:
    Due to scheduling challenges, heading out tomorrow (Sunday) to solo NM BDR. Y'all be safe. Will post updates periodically.
    unit3890 and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a good motorcycle repair/tire shop in the Albuquerque area (or, maybe a bit southwest of there)?

A group of us from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan are planning on riding the Continental Divide Ride next summer. We figure that by the time we ride 2K+ miles to the start of the trail, we will need some fresh knobbies to put on before starting the track north. Hoping to either ship tires to the shop, or buy the tires there, and get them mounted up.

Thanks!
  4. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used and can recommend Moto-Authority in Albuquerque. Their web page is www.moto-authority.com

That being said, Steve and crew usually have a bunch of bikes to work on any time, so they may not suit your needs if you need something immediate and/or unscheduled.

Other places I've used:

Team R&S Motorsports (they have a couple of different locations):
    https://teamrands.com/Service/Service-Department

Bobby J's Yamaha on Menaul Blvd NE:
    https://bjsyamaha.com/Service

There is also a Motosports of New Mexico dealership in Los Lunas, just off I-25 at Exit 203 -- that dealer also has locations in Las Cruces and Santa Teresa:
    https://www.motorsportsofnewmexico.com/

Yooper_Bob and duggram like this.
  5. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another independent Albuquerque shop I would recommend is High Velocity Cycles
    https://high-velocity-cycles.business.site/
    I have had suspension work done by them, and the work was top notch and reasonable.
    I have also had work done by Team R&S and Bobby J's. Both were very good.
    ridenm and Yooper_Bob like this.
  6. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. :thumb We would definitely contact them ahead of time and set up the date we would be arriving.
  7. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the riding down there right now? I am up north of Santa Fe and have a week off work. Itching to camp and ride some. Any suggestions?
  8. CarterFury

Oddometer:
    Yes! Ride the NM BDR down and you can probably camp at the western end of Chloride Canyon (part of NMBDR Sec 3) without seeing anyone, and then explore Lincoln Natl Forrest near Cloudcroft and Ruidoso and there are plenty of places to camp. But have a GPS device justincase due to lack of cell phone service during large parts of Sec 3-7. Safe Riding.
  9. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Higher elevations can see daytime highs of only low 40s with overnight lows in the teens. Pack accordingly especially if you plan on camping. You might see some patches of snow in the Gila or Lincoln NF but no appreciable accumulations yet.
  10. rc51kid

rc51kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That all sounds like an amazing area. But unfortunately i am looking for just a little warmer. It is not just me being a wussy (which i am some times). But i will trailer my bike down with my truck. I will have my little dog with me who is almost 15 years old. He is an old man. I start to worry about him as it gets too cold. At nigh i can bury him in blankets. But when i go to ride i leave him in the truck. 40 degrees is probably OK. Just park in the sun and it will warm up nicely. But a lot of time it stays cool for a long time in the mornings before it heats up to that 40 deg. I dont know if i would leave him until it warms a little. I know it sucks, but he is my one responsibility i have in this world. That is why i was thinking of heading south, maybe lower elevations. But wow, that area does look beautiful.
    CarterFury likes this.
  11. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Planning to ride the Idaho BDR in late July or August 2021 south to north or N to S if I can find a driver willing to shadow us on pavement. Any interest let me know. Medium pace Rider with lots of dirt riding. No racer types this ride. Camping and alternating motels fine.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    So what are you asking? Looking for the driver with a Chase vehicle? Or if someone else is interested in joining you? Sorry if I'm not reading your post correctly
  13. I Ride

I Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually someone who wants to go on the ride and as a side note if you had someone else who wants to tag along but not ride. I have some older(retired) friends who have the time but not the necessary stamina for long trips anymore. Long drive from NM just to get to Idaho.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. Coast Runner

Coast Runner n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just had my KLX 400 stolen off the back of my truck in NW albuquerque. Please keep an eye out for it as you ride or check classifieds.
    2003 kawasaki KLX 400sr
    Green and white with translucent tank.
    Seat concepts seat, rental bars with tusk hand guards. Screenshot_20210123-091704.jpg
  15. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coast Runner, you should duplicate this post as a new thread in the main Rockies: It all downhill from here thread so everybody can see it. Las Cruces is in the southern part of the state.
    That is a rare bike and hopefully somebody will see it. I will keep an eye open for it.
    FWIW, I always ran a cable or chain and lock the bike to the carrier which is locked to the truck. Not that it will stop a theft but may keep an honest man honest.
    duggram likes this.
  16. Coast Runner

Coast Runner n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they buzzed through a kryptonite cable lock like it was butter. I am putting the other notice up tonight. Thanks
  17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Looking for a suspension shop in the Las Cruces/El Paso area that is reputable and experience. I don't want a fly by the seat of the pants type place.
  18. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could talk to Dave at Southwest Suzuki in Alamogordo. I see him working on suspensions a lot and he has a nitrogen bottle FWIW.
    barko1, Snake Oiler and sanderjavant like this.
  19. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talk to Roger Heemsburgren at Arroyo Seco raceway. He is definitely going to have a good answer. Just drive out there, it's not far from you and talk to him. He's great guy with a ton of experience and info.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks. I will do that