Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:

Usually open Sunday, but this is NM so subject to change. Worst case scenario we end up at Del Sol in San Lorenzo instead. 35 miles over the mountain.Saturday is supposed to be warmer and calm.
  2. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Accuweather just changed report....69 degrees both days now and Sunday actually a little more sunny. Sunday would work for Dan Keyhoety and for me.
  3. SteadyStare

SteadyStare Adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Ya it's still a bit cold up there. I ran my wr450 up and down the rim trail several times. Then I took my 1190R down it and barely survived. There's tons of other, less challenging, but equally beautiful riding though. Let me know if you ever want to ride over here once it warms up a little more
  4. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could always make the run out to Little Toad Creek brewery in Silver City.
  5. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell you what. 2 of us plan to be at the" Lake Valley Rest Area" on the morning of March 4, a Sunday, at 10:30 AM. That is on NM27 at the NM26 intersection in beautiful Nutt, NM. We will go to the General Store for brunch in Hillsboro. Then go over the mountain pass toward San Lorenzo. From there we can decide what more we would like to do.... 35,61,Silver, 180 whatever.... If you get there late to Nutt, just head up to Hillsboro. Brunch at 11ish.
    Prototype4342 likes this.
  6. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Accuweather now says 73-76 on Sunday. So we will be there Sunday like post #25 says. One of us on a WeeStrom /Silver the other on a Black Triumph 800. See you there.
  7. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I plan to be there, also on a black Tiger 800.
    Branchbuster likes this.
  8. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prototype.... Dan and I enjoyed our ride with you today. thanks for coming by and sharing an afternoon with us. We will do it again. Hopefully we can get a few more friends to join us next time we go out. Keep in touch.
  9. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you got together, where did you end up going? What were the conditions?

I am curious since I plan to travel through this corner of New Mexico on the 18th, then up 191, and back to Silver City on the 20th. It looks like weather conditions are nice...cool but not yet windy.

Still a bit of snow in the valleys of central Idaho. The upper mountains got pounded with snow this past weekend. It will be good for summer irrigation water supply but dirt bike riding will be restricted up high for several months.
  10. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    27 to 152 West out of Hillsboro. 35 North to 15 then South to Silver City. It was about 60 up there. No snow on the road. However the wind really was strong at about 25 or more mph for the afternoon. That is NM in March. Weather fine up to US60 for sure but they had a little storm front up around ABQ. When they are cold, we are warm and windy. We actually plan on doing several rides up there around March 18 as it turns out.
  11. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, was a nice mild ride on Sunday. Everything went smoothly until the speeding ticket just East of Silver City on my way home :becca
  12. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually ride on the west side of El Paso, but a group of us regularly head up to cloudcroft to ride the rim trail. I'm also up for meeting ya'll somewhere to ride.
  13. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Current forecast for Saturday is 79° in Las Cruces. Anyone up for a long ride tomorrow? Las Cruces to Winston to Beaverhead to Mimbres to Hillsboro to Hatch and back to Las Cruces? Most of it is route #14 of last year's Rubber Chicken Ride. I'm slow and easy to keep up with. Should be easy to keep the ticket count down.
  14. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bayard? They are the most notorious ticket-happy police in the state.
  15. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I mistakenly thought the speed limit was 65 and was speeding accordingly :lol3
  16. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, might give my new GPS a workout and try some geocaching along the way.
  17. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Ok, ok, I'm up! Didn't set the alarm because... it's the weekend! Prepped the bike last night so all I have to do this morning before heading out, is make sure the tires are still round. Gearing up now. I have the option of going up I10, (boring but speedy), Valley Drive, (slower but scenic) or the Spaceport road, (slow, scenic, more fun). It's the debut ride for a set of cheap noise cancelling headphones so I think I'll run up I10 and see how they handle the wind noise.
  18. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Leaving shortly. Could certainly stand some company. I'll stop at the Winston General store for fuel and bbq before heading to Beaverhead. If you care to, you can catch up to me there. I use a tracking app called Glympse so the wife can keep track of my progress, snowbound Dad likes to monitor too. You're at the mercy of data coverage though so once I venture off in to the sticks, the dot stops moving. I'll post the URL here and you can follow along. I'll probably lose data coverage approaching Winston and pick it back up around Mimbres so if in between, the dot stops moving... don't worry... I'm not upside down... usually.
  19. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Here's my Glympse URL... https://glympse.com/0ber-x42p. Plug it in to your favorite browser and follow long on the adventure! Hope to see you on the trail!
  20. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Long timer

Oddometer:

We probably passed you going South on 10 out of LC. Dan and I were headed down to the El Paso Triumph dealer that day to get a key made for his Tiger. Got windy as all heck coming home. Riding interstates in the wind is no fun.