Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Is that URL that glympse gives you always the same (for a specific user) or does it assign a new one for each user for each session?
  2. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell, the URL is unique each time you use it, hence those strange character combos on the end. Since the app runs on a phone, it's trivial to text it to your friends but they're limited to their phone's display. They could on the other hand, type it in to a PC if they want to monitor on a big screen. There may be better ones out there but after stumbling across Glympse, it seems to do what I need it to do so I stopped looking. You can also set a time limit on how long you share your Glympse, 15 minutes to 12 hours, I think.
  3. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    I passed just two groups of riders heading south while on my way up to TorC. Surprising since it was a nice day. The first group was a two ship formation and three in the second. I flipped.... er.... waved to them all but only got replies from the first pair.

I was just a flying @ the speed of... smell... (it's a KLR after all) did it look like this???

20180310_141231.jpg

This was taken @ Wall Lake the same day. Saw a couple of work crews around the new bridges on North Star / 61 but only 1 car coming in from the Mimbres end the entire day. Entire trip took about 11 hours. I did the same trip back on Christmas Eve day and it took 9 hours. The difference was I decided to hit a couple of geocaches along the way this time. Attempted 7 and found 5, and this...

20180310_131400.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey that looks familiar

1500078672735.jpg

Rode Star Rd north from Mimbres but took the shortcut on FS 696 to get to 59.
  5. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    I'll have to give 696 a shot next time. How was the road?
  6. oreosrdbest

oreosrdbest n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking to start knocking off portions of the NMBDR next weekend, 13-15 APR. I have the tracks downloaded, probably going to do the southern portion from Dell City to Reserve. It is a bit ambitious but it's not fun if it's not hard.
  7. oreosrdbest

oreosrdbest n00b

Oddometer:
    I was up N Star road a couple of weekends past too. 696 was pretty straight forward, a couple of spots had loose rocks on inclines and declines. There were several places that had deep ruts from water pooling and 4x4s but going around was easy enough. Lots of tight turns, but nothing that required backing up or walking it. Overall I was glad I took the detour.
  8. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    I'm in El Paso here but also looking to ride.
  9. oreosrdbest

oreosrdbest n00b

Oddometer:
    Right on. I have to replace some fork seals this weekend but definitely want to get out before it starts getting too hot.
  10. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings. In Las Cruces for the weekend and going to ride up to Gila Cliff Dwellings. Two questions:
    1. Any 92 or 93 octane fuel in Las Cruces?
    2. Recommend best route to the Cliff Dwellings and return? Good dirt road ok.
    Thanks!
    BG
  11. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Don't miss NM 15 from Silver City to the Cliff Dwellings...epic!
  12. vhortykho

Oddometer:
  13. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

14. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Been doing weekend rides to Kilbourne Crater. The desert is really greening up! Even saw tadpoles in some of the puddles! Looking for a change now. How about another ride through the Gila this weekend? The daytime highs have cooled down to civilized levels in the flatlands and at elevation should be even nicer. Can I entice any of you fellow adventurers along?
  15. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    I might be able to sneak away depending on the logistics. What did you have in mind? feel free to call/text if thats better. kerry 649-3703
  16. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Chloride Canyon? North Star Rd? Even Winston to Mogollon if you're up for it. It's all good! Preferences?
  17. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Winston to Mogollon is pretty this time of year!
  18. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Weather looks great on Saturday
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were out scouting west of Winston for the Rubber Chicken Ride last week. The area is green and beautiful. We found some fun riding north of Hwy 59: Sawmill Canyon and Abobe Canyon were fun flowing roads. These would make a great extension to the Chloride Canyon ride.
    Sledred likes this.
  20. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Everybody’s welcome to joun