Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, the weather looks to cooperate this weekend. Grab some Subway and take lunch at elevation somewhere along the route. Do you have a comm unit?
  2. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Looks like there will be three of us all on street legal dirtbikes. Probably going to trailer to Winston and ride from there. You’re welcome to ride with us. Meeting at my house just south of Mesilla
  3. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Is the plan to loop back to Winston?
  4. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Yes but flexible
  5. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are interested here is a GPS track with some of the scouting we did. It starts before Winston. The loop north of Hwy59 was easy fun and beautiful.

Attached Files:

6. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Hey CaptCapsize, do you know if any part of the Monticello Box is still rideable?
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all the way through. The Texan who bought the land illegally gated it at his property line. Unfortunately he could afford to buy enough local politicians to get his way. I have heard the bottom 8 miles can be ridden as an out and back. I have not done it. I have also hear without county maintenance is it a bit rougher.

You can do a longer out and back above Monticello canyon on something called the Burma Road. It is fun, but rocky. Go north out of Monticello on FR139 for a couple miles and turn left. It used to drop into the Monticillo Box and was a through route before it was closed.

There is a couple of sections of NM State land in the canyon. If you get a state permit you can get access to Monticello Canyon but it would still be an out and back. You only get the code to the gate at one end of the canyon.
  8. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Yup, Monticello is closed to thru traffic
  9. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    What time do you think you'll be at Winston?
  10. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Planning on leaving las cruces at 815. It’s probably 2 hrs to Winston
  11. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Hey CaptCapsize, thanks for posting that track. How long do you think it would take just to run it alone? Tentatively planning to leave Winston @ 1030 and wonder if the day is long enough to run both this and Chloride Canyon together? What do you think?
  12. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Oh my! Got home this afternoon and found a box of farkles from Procycle on my front porch. Quite the dilemma now. Farkle or ride tomorrow? Screw it, Screwit! Ride before Ho's!
  13. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    That track off Hwy 59 is about 25 miles long but it is easier than Chloride Canyou, so between 1 and 2 hours to ride it. We took two because we made a couple wrong turns and stopped a lot to look at the views. The track should be on the legal MVUM trails. Look up the Rubber Chicken Ride most recent posts for some views of the scenery.
  14. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Thanks, CC! Well guys, what do you think of starting with Chloride Canyon then continuing on across 59 to run Sawmill & Adobe Canyon? That should make for a full day, discounting stops to eat, take photos & scratch.
    Sledred likes this.
  15. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure one of the riders can handle chloride canyon. We can rally up at Winston and decide
  16. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Leaving now. Probably take I10 up. It's quick but boring. See you guys at the Winston General Store.
  17. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    Great day riding in the Gila wilderness! Beautiful weather, Covered 190 miles

Attached Files:

craigr652 and CaptCapsize like this.
  18. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Last Saturday was an excellent ride! Great weather & roads. No breakdowns, (running out of gas doesn't count). Great views. Met new friends. Old friends still tolerable. Give me more!!!
  19. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Anyone care to do a night run in to Kilbourne Saturday night? Meet up at Bowlin's Running Indian and either come out via the tunnel under I10 or across the bridge/dam near the old MX track in Mesilla. Things are different @ night!
  20. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:
    What are the roads like out there? Big bike?? Ryan.

And where is this old mx track you speak of?