Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Generally big bike friendly. I pilot an over-weight KLR and almost always make it back. But the rains can certainly add character to the road by cutting ruts, washing loose rocks, dirt and sand onto the road. And an occasional puddle to wallow through. The track is near 32°13'13.6"N 106°47'41.0"W. It's now more of a play area than a track.
    ridenm likes this.
  2. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
  3. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:
    I will be at the Mesilla Coffee place Sunday at 9am. Blue Super Tenere. Dain Bamaged Pilot looking confused. Thats me.

Ryan
  4. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    "The Bean"?
  5. dickensheets

dickensheets smprparatus

Oddometer:
    Yup.
  6. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    I'll be there @ 9am. Working on a third rider now.
  7. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Got a third. Look for a 690 to join us.
  8. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Leaving now. See ya @ The Bean!
  9. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    sorry, I was OOT at the cabin with no cell service. Let me know when the next ride is!
  10. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Heading out soon for a 900 meet up with SquatBirdJunior @ The Bean. We're gonna seek a dirt route from Mesilla to Ft Cummings. Adventuresome souls welcome.
  11. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread. Does anyone ride near TorC? I have a 701 for street or a 501 for off-road. Plus I’m available almost any time because I’m retired. For off-road there’s always the 18 or so tracks from the RCR. I’ve ridden a couple of the tracks on the east side of I-25. Pretty good riding out there. I’d also be open to meeting in Hatch to start a ride.
    retroone likes this.
  12. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Duggram, what do you think of a ride next weekend? Maybe route #14 of the RCR if the weather isn't too cold or too much snow at elevation.
  13. duggram

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. Weather looks good, sunny. It will give me incentive to get hand warmers on.
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  14. vhortykho

Oddometer:
  15. duggram

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely up for that. Sounds like I may need to pack some extra gas on the 701. It gets an amazing 60+ MPG but I still don't trust the small tank. What ever the temp, just need to dress/prepare for it. I like the Burnoff name. Might need to start a new tradition.
  16. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a long day, just FYI. Shorter if you guys are out of T or C, but the map i have of it is 297 miles. The no gas section of it is from Mimbres to Winston. I don't remember the exact mileage but it's right around 70 miles iirc. Should be fine on the 701 with the stock tank. I would make sure that the gas station in Mimbres will be open that day, didn't seem like the type of place that is always open. I'll attach a gpx file of the route I planned last time I ran it. I skipped the section east of T or C out by the spaceport last time because by that point in the ride I just wanted to get home.

Edit: also, if you are coming from down south, get gas in Hatch. Last time I ran it I skipped the gas in Hatch expecting there to be gas in Hillsboro, but there isn't. Was on fumes by the time I got to Mimbres.

Attached Files:

17. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Duggram's out of TorC so we'll be staging out of Winston and ride Winston to Mimbres. North to South is downhill and easier, right? I'm out of LC so I'll have put on 100 miles before the fun even starts.

I've ridden the route twice before. This was from last Christmas Eve Day...

20171224_162823.jpg

I gassed up in Elephant Butte that day because Winston General Store was closed. I was on reserve when I got home and the trip meter read 270.1 miles. That would be from the Elephant Butte gas station.

I can carry a 1, 2 or 3 gallons of extra gas if someone needs it, just let me know ahead of time. There's reliable gas in Winston, Bayard & Hatch. Not sure about the metropolises of Mimbres, Hillsboro, Arrey, Derry & Garfield

Google Maps shows about 96 miles between Winston & Mimbres and projects about 4 hours. I don't know how accurate their time estimate is for motorcycles.

To gas up in Bayard would be about 115 miles and involve a wee bit of backtracking. Hatch would be about 176 miles. But ya, definitely a stamina day!
  18. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gas at Del Sol restaurant/store / gas station on NM15 in San Lorenzo. No gas in Mimbres anymore! That station is closed right there by the P.O . regular 86 only, no premium at Del Sol.
  19. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I meant to say NM 35 (at NM152 intersection)....
  20. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun. Wish I could join, but family weekend stuff here in ABQ.
    for gas, I carry small 2oz bottles of Octane booster when faced with 86. Two ounces in my tank will boost it up to 89 according to the bottle instructions.