Las Cruces/Southern NM riders

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by screwit, Feb 16, 2018.

1. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sooo is this ride open for two more ???
    What day and where you starting from ???
  2. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Open to all adventuresome souls! This coming Saturday, 11/24. I'm thinking 1000 if that works for everyone? We could stage out of TorC if that is easier for everyone or we could just meet up @ Winston when we gas up? What do ya'll think?
  3. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the gas tip! That puts the 52 to 59 to 696 to 61/North Star to 35 route between Winston & San Lorenzo at about 97 miles.
  4. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep that's the one, I thought it was in Mimbres. My bad

20170713_110039_2000x439.jpg

I just may try to make it. May be easier to just meet in T or C unless the Abq folks plan on just heading down 52 to Winston.
  5. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about meeting up tomorrow at the Sunset Grill on Date Street, T or C? That's the same restaurant that NMOHVA uses during the RCR.
  6. vhortykho

Oddometer:
  7. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Just finished putting on a new front tire. Gonna take it for a short shake-down cruise now to check my handiwork.
  8. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Green light.
  9. duggram

duggram Happy to be Retired Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a day! I spent today cleaning up my new home in T or C. It was built in the 1930's. It has been rewired but I have a lot to do with plumbing, etc. The water heater is electric and less than 2 years old, but the lower heating element failed yesterday. When I got it out it was distorted and eroded, and coated with the minerals in the water here. All is good now, but I spent a lot of my day on this. At least I have hot water now. This new home also comes with a fairly new guest house and garage. But it's time to think about riding. All I need to do to my bike is strap on the bags and go. I really need this ride!
  10. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Duggram & I will be at the Sunset Grill in TorC @ 1000 tomorrow morning. Anyone needing to burn off turkey is welcome to join.
  11. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to make it. Got my stuff laid out ready to go just depends if the kiddo cooperates in the morning :lol3
  12. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Leaving LC now. Let the games begin!
  13. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    You must have missed my email a couple weeks ago. Let's do a ride. I can truck the dr650 or 300xc-w south to TorC or meet up somewhere depending on the ride. Nothing too crazy just good dirt fun. Let me know.
  14. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man you guys must have been in a hurry
  15. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    SquatBirdJunior discovered a flat while gassing up at the circle K across from the Sunset Grill so we dilly-dallied in town for an hour. Didn't leave TorC until 1100. Did we miss you? 696 was fantastic!
  16. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was the one getting gas when you guys headed out of the circle k :lol3

I saw you headed south so I rolled through downtown but didnt see you so i just hit the spaceport instead. No biggy, I should have made a formal introduction instead of just gassing up.

Worst part of the day, they paved the road out to the spaceport!

20181124_111231.jpg
    sanderjavant likes this.
  17. sanderjavant

sanderjavant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great picture!
  18. vhortykho

Oddometer:
    Prototype 4342, I feel bad for snubbing you like that. At the time we were worried about making our comrade viable. We rode a couple of blocks to Duggram's home and those two worked on the flat. No one knew for certain but we got to thinking that the rider who pulled in behind us at Circle K might have been a fellow adventurer in need of an adventure so I rode back to Circle K but you had gone by then. I parked in the Sunset Grill parking lot hoping to attract strays, until I got word that the flat was fixed. I then rode to Duggram's, rounded up the crew and we all headed to Winston for BBQ sandwiches. We were an hour behind schedule at this point.

696 had a half dozen deeply rutted mud puddles that were easy to drive around, a few rocky sections and a couple of mild ledges for variety. SquatBirdJunior piloting a Triumph 800, declared it "Big Bike Friendly" and my KLR agrees. As long as it's not too wet, 696 would be a better alternative to the boring pavement to Beaverhead. Muchas Gracias, for that tip.

The most prominent feature of RCR Route #14 has to be the switchbacks. Rounding some of those, our dusty visors combined with the afternoon sun made some of the uphill climbs a proposition in blind faith.

We encountered only a couple of vehicles, hunters and Christmas tree gatherers. All were aware and polite enough to pull over and let our motley crew pass. (I like to think the sheer intimidation factor of the KLR had something to do with that.)

We got a brief adrenaline rush when at elevation, we came upon a series of frozen puddles rather quickly, making a close encounter a sure thing. Fortunately, trucks had broken the crust for us and the path of least worse was apparent. Plowing straight through we dropped down a 2 inch ledge of ice in to a couple inches of water, went about 2 feet then popped up on another 2 inch ice ledge, x3. All drama free and a waste of perfectly good adrenaline! The God of Inertia had smiled upon us. Had we had a second to think about it, we might have tried to ride on the wet ice around the puddles, (insert Benny Hill theme here)

San Lorenzo had gas and while we were gassing up a local rode up on a very shiny, yellow GS1150 and started to chat. And I thought the KLR's tank was big! Recent road work on the approach to the Black Range had left loose gravel and a lack of markers in spots . As darkness was fast upon us, this kind soul volunteered to lead us through the tricky parts. Thank you kind soul! Once we got to the good pavement he pulled over and the hooliganism began. Hustling through the Black Range at night is a hoot! Well, I'm sure that a genuine sport bike would make short work of it but gosh darn it, my modest pace on the KLR FELT fast and made me grin. Do it again, do it again!

Saw a half dozen deer in someone's front yard in downtown Hillsboro. They must be getting fed.

And that's a recap of the hightlights of the Great Turkey Burnoff of 2018. Sure to go down in the annuls of history as... huh? What?
    duggram likes this.
  19. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw this thread and thought I would post here. I'm hauling my XR650R down to the desert states for two weeks of riding starting this weekend. Normally I ride Moab and Utah but this year my trip was delayed, so I'm looking at doing NM, AZ and NV instead.

I've looked through lists of riding spots and I'm thinking of doing Haystack Mountain and Gordy's Hill. My preference is for scenic trailriding that is not too difficult. Would these two places be suitable? Any other recommendations?

Thx,
    Mike
  20. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer: